TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on purchasing a suspension lift kit for my 01 Tacoma. I have been looking at all of my options but am intrested in what works for all of you out there. I have been looking at spacers/shackel, Leaf spring/coilover, add a leaf, ect.. of all types of brands. What do you all recomend? Thanks....Gary. [email protected]

·
Registered
836 Posts
What's your budget, what size tire do you want to run, and what are you looking to get out of it? I have Sway-A-Way coilover's set at 2.5" and a Downey AAL with 5100 Bils and am very happy with my setup. I would consider this a middle of the road coilover setup. The ride is stiffer than stock, but smoother at the same time. I say that it rides like a truck should ride. Installing it all myself, I think I came in at about $1000. The truck is my daily driver and used for slow rock crawling, on moderate to difficult trails. If I was running dunes or Baja style wheeling, I would definately nix the AAL and get a Deaver leafpack. I run 265/75/16 REVO's and have yet to experience any rubbing on or off road. If you want to go to a bigger tire than that (32" equivalent) with no rubbing, you are either going to need a body lift, drop-bracket style lift, or sawzall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI, I have a 4x4 TRD and am looking for something -not too expensive- But has the best bang for the buck. I am hoping to clear 32x11.50's or 33x10.50's.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
AirForceYota said:
FYI, I have a 4x4 TRD and am looking for something -not too expensive- But has the best bang for the buck. I am hoping to clear 32x11.50's or 33x10.50's.
Are you looking to improve the offroad capabilities, or is this primarily just for looks? If you're wanting to make it more capable offroad, what type of offroading do you typically do (ie, rock crawling, muddin', higher-speed desert running, mild dirt trails, etc.)? Are you concerned about on-road ride quality? Are you keeping your stock rims, or going with aftermarket rims?

Cheapest route to to fit the tire sizes you stated would be a 2-3" spacer for the 32's, and possibly an additional 2-3" body lift for the 33's. Spacer lifts will ride harsher than coilovers, though, especially if installed on your TRD coils.

Staying at or under $1000, you could also go with one of the cheaper coilovers, such as SAW's or Fabtech's, and an AAL or shackles and Bilstein 5100's or 5150's in the rear.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hear ya' on the wife thing. My own wife and I are arguing over whether I get a supercharger on the Taco or she get's a lift and tires on the Runner. For the sake of argument let's say you have $1000. You could prolly get a Cornfed or ToyTech 2" or 3" kit and still have money for new tires. 265/75/16 or 32x11.5/15 are going to be your best bet. If tires are a separate budget, you could get either the Fabtech coilovers or Sway-A-Way coilovers and either and AAL or shackle and new shocks in the back. An AAL will stiffen the ride, but also increase carrying capacity and some people have reported broken leaves with an AAL. While a shackle will not change the ride, it will improve flex and MAY cause your leaves to flatten prematurely. AAL's are usually cheaper, but more difficult to install. The longer the AAL, the better the ride quality. I've been told that the Downey AAL is the best riding AAL for the Taco. Another option would be a complete OME (Old Man Emu) suspension. I believe this kit comes with a complete leafpack for the rear and new coilover lift springs (not adjustable) for the front. Lots of people run this lift and are very happy with it, but it is not without it's faults. Spring sag and driver side lean are the biggest complaints, but I believe some people have had problems with the leafpacks moving the rear axle forward and needing to be shimmed. Wheelers Off road is a great place to shop for most if not all of the items I've listed above. Check them out and don't forget to ask about a TTORA discount. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
what type of lift you get depends on what type of wheeling you do. if its a street queen you'll be fine with spacers, if you want a better ride go with coilovers and if you need more clearance go with a drop bracket lift. i have donahoe coilovers and i love them, i do more high speed stuff than rockcrawling so thats why i went with them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better off roading. I am from Colorado and have had a few differend 4x4's through the years but I want to do this one right. I do have some kind of budget though...
I dont do extreme rock crawling though. I dont have the $$$ to always be fixing the truck for that kind of abuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, coil overs and drop bracket lift? What kind of prices am I looking at and where are the best products for the cash...

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
AirForceYota said:
Ok, coil overs and drop bracket lift? What kind of prices am I looking at and where are the best products for the cash...
Coilovers and drop bracket lift are gonna cost way more than a grand. The kit (Pro comp, fabtech, etc...) alone is gonna be around 1500 and coilovers another 600 - 900. Tires and wheels at least another grand unless you can find something used. Then there is installation unless you plan to do it yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts