TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am looking into 4x4 quads. I need something around 400cc. My question to you is what is the better 4x4 quad on the market? Also I have heard that IRS suspension makes them tip easier, is this true?
Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wheel with a guy who has an Articat 300. Granted its got the smaller engine but it is a manual and has soo many gears (High, Low, Super Low) that he can keep up with the Kawasaki 600 that we wheel with a lot. So for the engine size i would say dont let it be a limiting factor. I have got an old Yamaha Timberwolf 250 that is four-wheel drive and i love it because it's so small that when the woods get tight i have more options for how im going to go, but then again i loose out on having a nice wheel base stance.

As for the IRS being a hazzard to tipping...I cant say I've noticed any difference that I could blame the IRS for. My quad is a solid rear and it seems to perform the same as the two previously mentioned IRS quads. The only down size to them is that they are heavy as hell. If youve got any other questions go ahead and shoot because your riding style will really determine the quad.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, is shaft drive better than a belt?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Better then a Belt? Most deff... Now a chain can prove to be more of a comepetition to the shaft. Take it as you may majority of the racing quads use chain drive while all the utility quads use shaft. The belt sounds to me to have too big of a chance to:
1) slip
2) stretch under several blips of hard throttle and possibly snap after time
3) stretch to quickly to where you will be replacing it

I'm not sure of what quads use belt drive so i cant say im too familiar with it. Again it all comes down to what you want to ride in.

Desert = Something thats probably two stroke, chain driven two wheel drive, and solid rear. (Raptor, 400SX, etc.)

Tight Wooded Trail = Something thats not as fast, shaft driven two wheel drive, four stroke.

Off-Trail/Deep mud = Something w/big engine size, fourwheel drive, probably automatic.

:2cents:

·
Registered
978 Posts
i remember when polaris first broke into the quad market with their 4x4 chain drive. ....it was a piece of shit.

go with a honda. ....best wheelers around as far as i'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i believe that arctic cats used to be belt driven auto's. thats why noone bought them. i would go with a honda or yamaha. i have ridden four wheelers all of my life and they seem to be the most reliable.

also, for the mud, bigger four wheelers sink easier. they can turn big tires easier, but i like to be able to pick up the ass end and move them, something that isnt that easy with the bigger ones.

i have a rancher S and i am very happy with it. i have ridden them with 26's on them and they are slow, so try to fit a decent size off-road tire and you will be good. the stock honda tires arent that bad though. definitely go look at both hondas and yamaha s though. tried and true.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Honda Rubicon!

Buddy has one with a 2" lift, snorkel kit, Warn winch, and K&N filter. It's very bad ass.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Got a Bombardier (now can-am) outlander 400 xt and I would say it is the best 400cc 4x4 out there right now.I have got it up to 70 mph on the road and have no problems on the woods sliding it around cormers on trails.I have unstuck my truck with it and a 4x4 nissan on the deerlease the other day. Locker in front works great, smooth ride and plaenty of power. The test on there website is pretty honest. Almost everyone is going to the beltdrive transmission and they have there weakness. The only thing you have to worry bout is getting water into the belt housing through the vent. If the waters that deep your fixing to suck it in the motor anyway, plus your already wet.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I beleive all the 4x4 wheelers from 400cc and up are belt drive transmissions now except the honda rancher which is way underpowered.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
What about Suzuki KingQuads?

We don't have ATVS but we looked at KingQuads for a while . . . they were nice . . . thoughts?????

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, all the terrain here is mud and water, so belt is out :doh:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have two polaris 500's and love em. Cant remember the particular name on em because my dad and I camo'd them. We were so happy with polaris my dad picked up one of those polaris ranger 6x6's, for our place out of scotts bar.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
bealbrew said:
Yep...used to work on them.
Any grizzly is pretty badass. My Dad has the 700, with power
steering......I got it up to 59 on a gravel road, with PLENTY
more to go.

Polaris`s have problems with welds breaking, their heavy,
suck on gas.....not a bad quad-but it your going to use it
hard, get a yahama-maybe a honda.

·
Registered
978 Posts
back in the day i rode with a guy that had a yamaha big bear. ...i seem to recall it had a really high center of gravity. .....not sure about their more recent offerings.

·
Registered
773 Posts
bealbrew said:
Yep...used to work on them.
They're good stuff. I've got a 2000 400EX that I've owned since new. I've been abusing it for going on 7 years now without a rebuild and on the same clutch. The Yamaha's I ride with have almost been as reliable.. Just keep the air filter clean & change the oil & filter frequently is all you have to do. Everyone once in a while it may need a spark plug or a valve adjustment..

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
the new grizzly`s dont have u joints-2 straight shafts...which I
think is pretty cool, a CVT trans, are really fast 65+, the power
steering really helps with the diff lock on.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just cause it has a belt doesnt mean water and mud are out. Just means dont get water up to the seat. I have got my 400 up to 65 mph with the oversized tires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts