TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of your favorite 4x4 trail guide books, showing trails descriptions, maps to them, etc. etc. Preferable of So-cal/Nor-cal. But if you guys have favorite titles, authors, or companies who produce these handbooks, shout 'em out! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
CYi5 said:
What are some of your favorite 4x4 trail guide books, showing trails descriptions, maps to them, etc. etc. Preferable of So-cal/Nor-cal. But if you guys have favorite titles, authors, or companies who produce these handbooks, shout 'em out! Thanks!
I have one called Back Country Adventures Southern California by Massey & Lewis. It has GPS coordinates, turn by turn instructions, history, notable people and town history of all the So. Cal areas. It's a good book. It rates trails on a 1-10 scale but doesn't have any trails rated above 7 in it assuming most people aren't going to go on those but the hardcore. This means trails like John Bull in Big Bear, for example, and the like are not listed.

It's not the end all be all of trial books but it's good. The book describes itself as "The ultimate guide to ther backcountry for anyone with a sport utility vehicle". This is probably why ther'es nothing published in it regarding trails rated higher than 7. :D

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thanks for the info. I'm guessing that's the most comprehensive book? Cause it's around 30 bux, haha.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
CYi5 said:
cool, thanks for the info. I'm guessing that's the most comprehensive book? Cause it's around 30 bux, haha.
I have tons of trail books, the ones I prefer over all the others are the funtreks books. Use the code "CAL CLUBS" to get a discount.

http://www.funtreks.com/all_books.htm

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
CYi5 said:
I wouldn't say it's the most comprehensive since it doesn't have any of the harder traisl in it. It's a good book though. I think that you'll end up with a combination of books over time.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
CYi5 said:
Says invalid promotional code?? :confused:
Bummer, must have expired. The last book I bought from them was probably about 3 months ago.

I would still highly recommend the books, even without the discount. Maybe try 'CALCLUBS' all one word, just to see?

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nevermind..lowercase :) "calclubs"

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
I have the "Wells Book" shown above for both AZ and Moab and find it to the one of the easiest to follow - good trail diagrams/pictures with GPS coordinates, etc.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
CYi5 said:
my favorites are still Roger Mitchell's books.

http://www.trackandtrailpublications.com
http://www.amateurgeologist.com/shop/books_backroads.html (for best prices)

the one Mike suggested is very nice as well.

don't waste your $ on the "Backcountry Adventures" series, however

·
Registered
255 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
AZTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing