TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is one of those newbie questions. The 98 taco I just bought needs a new front bumper, but I'm not big on cutting and welding. Are there any good bolt-on replacements, or is my time/money better served with a little more effort? I'm a big fan of the looks of the All Pro bumper, but I'm not a fan of cutting into the frame and welding on new mounting brackets.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The cutting and welding are maily for the winch bumpers, due the to strain and load up front. Check out the Vendors section. I think Bent-up's bumpers are kick-ass. Also, check out Demello, and as you mentioned All-pro...another option is ARB.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I believe the 98-00 front Taco frames do in fact requiring cutting for the All-Pro bumper to fit if I remember reading All-Pro's website correctly. However, like Flatlander said, you might also want to try DeMello's and CBI's tubular prerunner bumpers. I could be wrong, but I believe they offer a bolt-on application that requires no cutting or welding.

The ARB bumper is another option which is truly bolt-on. I have that on my 03, and I believe it is also a direct bolt-on to the 98-00 frames. My only complaint about it is that it is quite heavy, and when going downhill in 4LO while off-road, I noticed how its weight pulled my truck down at a faster speed than when it had the much lighter plastic stock bumper. But it still offers much more protection than the stock bumper, though. As for price, I found a great deal from Toyota of Dallas (one of this site's sponsors) on the ARB that actually came out cheaper than any of the other vendors/bumper makers, even including tax and shipping! I believe Shannon at Champion Toyota was also offering good deals on their ARB bumpers, but I don't know how much they were going for.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the instructions for the All-Pro bumper and saw it needs cutting/welding, but it looks so damn good that it might be worth it. The info definitely helps though :)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Or you could just buy a bumper from CBI Offroad Fab and have Steve build you EXACTLY what you want and NOT have to do any cutting or welding. :D

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I read the instructions for the All-Pro bumper and saw it needs cutting/welding, but it looks so damn good that it might be worth it. The info definitely helps though :)
It's not that difficult... though you will need a welder...

the '98 thru '00 have longer frame horns then the 1st and 3rd generation... Once you make the mod... yer frame horns will be the same as the other generations... IMO... something that needs to be done on all the 2nd generations so that you can easily fit a bumper the same as the other years... regardless of the maker of said bumper... Just lop off 3 inches... and weld in the new centering plate... piece o' cake...

I'm satisfied with my AP/skid plate set up...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
It's not that difficult... though you will need a welder...

the '98 thru '00 have longer frame horns then the 1st and 3rd generation... Once you make the mod... yer frame horns will be the same as the other generations... IMO... something that needs to be done on all the 2nd generations so that you can easily fit a bumper the same as the other years... regardless of the maker of said bumper... Just lop off 3 inches... and weld in the new centering plate... piece o' cake...

I'm satisfied with my AP/skid plate set up...
x2

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Most of the custom fab bumpers will be made to your year specs. Get in contact with Steve at CBI. His bumpers are made to order and are stronger and actually cost LESS than an ARB. Look through his gallery, tell him which one you want, what year Taco it's going on, if you've got a body lift, and anything else you want to change.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
^^^ while all that is true... the 2nd generations would make yer bumper possibly stick farther forward due to the 3" longer frame horns... which is an issue with anyone that has concerns about the approach angle... And is as good as any reason to chop 3"s off the front of the frame... Unless maybe one is not utilizing the frame horns as mounting points...

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
His bumpers are made to order and... actually cost LESS than an ARB.
Including shipping costs? At the time when I was researching prices, I realized that when shipping costs were added on most of the other aftermarket bumper, Toyota of Dallas' price for an ARB was actually cheaper. I don't remember which CBI bumper I had in mind when I was comparing prices, though, so it could've been one of the more expensive ones.

As to CBI's bumper strength, I have no first-hand experience, but I remember seeing how well one of his bumpers held up in that video where the Taco fell nose-first from Lion's Back! So yeah, I'm sure they're built super strong! I once had a Duffco Enterprises bumper on an old 99 Prerunner I used to own that was made out of 1.5" x .120 round tubing with custom bolt-on mounting brackets and support braces. That bumper held up real well when I accidentally slammed head-on into a solid earthen berm at around 35-40 mph. So I have no doubt about the strength of a well-designed prerunner bumper like his appears to be.

However, if a front bumper is too strong, it may actually be a bad thing. Too strong of a bumper risks causing damage to the frame. You actually want a bumper to be weaker than the frame so that the force of the impact will be absorbed by the bumper, not the frame. The only thing stronger should be the mounting system of the bumper. Obviously, if the mounting is weak, then it'll cave and the bumper will wreak havoc on the front components. Ideally, the bumper should be weak enough so as to bend when hit hard, allowing for absorption of the impact, but strong enough so as not to break.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Including shipping costs? At the time when I was researching prices, I realized that when shipping costs were added on most of the other aftermarket bumper, Toyota of Dallas' price for an ARB was actually cheaper. I don't remember which CBI bumper I had in mind when I was comparing prices, though, so it could've been one of the more expensive ones.
CBI's most expensive bumper is $679+ship. I'm not sure what the ARB's are running for now but last time I checked it was around $950 shipped.
However, if a front bumper is too strong, it may actually be a bad thing. Too strong of a bumper risks causing damage to the frame. You actually want a bumper to be weaker than the frame so that the force of the impact will be absorbed by the bumper, not the frame. The only thing stronger should be the mounting system of the bumper. Obviously, if the mounting is weak, then it'll cave and the bumper will wreak havoc on the front components. Ideally, the bumper should be weak enough so as to bend when hit hard, allowing for absorption of the impact, but strong enough so as not to break.
This can be argued from both sides. It really depends on the purchaser and that kind of protection they are looking for.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
CBI's most expensive bumper is $679+ship. I'm not sure what the ARB's are running for now but last time I checked it was around $950 shipped.
Last time I checked on shipping these types of bumpers to my door, the cost was averaging anywhere from $120-$180. Let me just say that Toyota of Dallas ARB price was still cheaper than $679+ship with TTORA/TTR discount! I think Shannon's Champion Toyota ARB deal was also cheaper. But you're right, the next cheapest vendor for ARB shipped is somewhere around $950.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Last time I checked on shipping these types of bumpers to my door, the cost was averaging anywhere from $120-$180. Let me just say that Toyota of Dallas ARB price was still cheaper than $679+ship with TTORA/TTR discount! I think Shannon's Champion Toyota ARB deal was also cheaper. But you're right, the next cheapest vendor for ARB shipped is somewhere around $950.
mira boricua,

check your PM:D

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
mira boricua,

check your PM:D
Got it, pana. PM'd you back.

Oh, and just to stay on topic, it just occurred to me that one reason why the price with shipping/tax might have been so cheap is that since my ARB was picked up in person from TOD, shipping charges might have been much less. So I guess that's a factor to consider with respect to my situation. Maybe if it had been shipped directly to my door, shipping charges would've exceeded the price of another worthy vendor?

Also, Jacque at TOD has a custom prerunner-style bumper made by Rocktek for his early Taco that's very strong, much like the legendary strength of the CBI bumpers. He told me that since his early Taco is used mostly for trail-use, the added strength is more appropriate. His other truck, a newer 05+ Taco used mostly as his daily driver, has an ARB bumper. He explained that the crush-cans on the ARB help to better absorb impacts akin to those fender-bender type accidents more common with daily-driver street use. As he explained, though, the crush-cans would need to be replaced once they served their purpose. For a shade-tree, wannabe amateur home-mechanic/welder like me, his explanation seems to make sense. So for those who use their trucks more for off-road use, maybe the super-strong CBI type bumpers are better?

Either way, to answer the original poster's question, it seems like there are quite a few good, direct bolt-on options for his Taco....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the help!

Took a trip to the local 4x4 shop and was quoted $80-125 to cut the offending frame pieces off, weld on the new mounting plates, and install the new bumper. So I'm no longer against cutting/welding... unless I can get my stock bumper uncrumpled enough to pass inspection lol.

BTW, just how much does it cost to ship a bumper?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
BTW, just how much does it cost to ship a bumper?
Here's a thought... Depending on who's bumper yer going with...

Make a phone call and you will get a quote...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where in GB are you? I'm in Odenton.

I'm also interested in a front bumper. If you get some prices, if they are cheaper ordering two let me know.

NomadTRD
:saw:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.