TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I need a new antenna, driving into the cover'd parking and having the antenna hit branches and stuff on the trail has caused it to fail. (it was only 10bucks...)

I have heard great things about wilson and firestick....

what do ya'll suggest? This is mounted ontop of my rack, which is level with the top of the cab. 3,4,5' foot? I need to get new cable too, the stuff i orinally used was old and crappy.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need a new one by friday... so again I get down to the wire on stuff. :(

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Well I need a new antenna, driving into the cover'd parking and having the antenna hit branches and stuff on the trail has caused it to fail. (it was only 10bucks...)

what do ya'll suggest? This is mounted ontop of my rack, which is level with the top of the cab. 3,4,5' foot? I need to get new cable too, the stuff i orinally used was old and crappy.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need a new one by friday... so again I get down to the wire on stuff. :(

I like Firesticks myself. If you keep breaking your antenna you might consider mounting it lower. (if you care mine is mounted on the rear bumper)

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
yep,you'll snap them off sooner or later mounted at roof level.
or get one(firestick?) thats real flexy,able to bend it in half.
i got a giant whip on a spring thats lasted longer that it should.:lmao:
if you remount to bed level, make sure the ant. is two thirds above the cab.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You might want to consider ordering a k40 Superflex. I can bend my 4' antenna all most completely into a circle and it will pop right back into it's orginal shape.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Wgasa84 said:

get a steel whip one. i have a fiberglass firestik and it wouldnt stand up to the abuse if it were mounted to roof level.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TQM3 (Last IFS in AZ) said:
I like Firesticks myself. If you keep breaking your antenna you might consider mounting it lower. (if you care mine is mounted on the rear bumper)
I got lazy and didn't take it off when I pulled into the coverd parking.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
peekay331 said:
get a steel whip one. i have a fiberglass firestik and it wouldnt stand up to the abuse if it were mounted to roof level.
thanks. i'll look into those too. I just need to find where they are sold around here... frys has cb anetnnas but they are the same cheep ones i bought before.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
thanks. i'll look into those too. I just need to find where they are sold around here... frys has cb anetnnas but they are the same cheep ones i bought before.
check out truck stops like flying j's and travelcenters. they usually have a good selection of firestiks and wilson antennas.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ahhh good idea, i didnt think about that. flyin j's always have alot of CB stuff. good call.
-darren

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Yeah , like I told you in the e-mail I got mine in Palm Springs at the Flyin J there is also a Pilot travel center a little closer, still in PS but a few miles closer. I like mine (Wilson 1000). I have been talking to a friend in town and have been about 15miles away mountains and all in between and could still talk to him. But its like 5 or 6' so it sits way above my cab. Sometimes I cant drive thru to get food.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
I got lazy and didn't take it off when I pulled into the coverd parking.
i pulled that too with my firestick against those tubes they hang in the garages to tell you how much clearance there is, needless to say my firestick won and the tube gave way :D

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Chris,

I'd recommend a whip style antenna for being that high up. The Firestick doesn't flex too much and it will just snap off the mount if you hit anything with it. Firestiks are fine for lower mounts or where they're shielded by part of the body, imo. Even where mine is on the hood channel mount is kind of a hassle when you get into trails where there's thick brush right up on the truck. I have to stop and pull it off, funny thing is I can still talk fine off the mount for trail runs where everyone is failry close. :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Matt said:
Chris,

I'd recommend a whip style antenna for being that high up. The Firestick doesn't flex too much and it will just snap off the mount if you hit anything with it. Firestiks are fine for lower mounts or where they're shielded by part of the body, imo. Even where mine is on the hood channel mount is kind of a hassle when you get into trails where there's thick brush right up on the truck. I have to stop and pull it off, funny thing is I can still talk fine off the mount for trail runs where everyone is failry close. :D
Who you talkin to?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Matt said:
Chris,

Oh nevermind, I just got the e-mail notification. Is there a spring mount I can buy and if so how does it work? Can it still me mounted to my bed bar?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
1noobie said:
Oh nevermind, I just got the e-mail notification. Is there a spring mount I can buy and if so how does it work? Can it still me mounted to my bed bar?
have you seen mine?
go to radio shack, thats where i got my whip and spring

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
1noobie said:
No I haven't seen yours. I really like mine though, I just need a spring mount for it.
go to radio shack

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
19 Participants
not2XS
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing