TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres a question, i want one, there expensive, whats the best one, whats the best deal,
makita li ion looks sweet, what type of adapters would you need for wheel lugs? any answers are great,
thanks-

·
Registered
5,467 Posts

[/THREAD]

I have one and its fucking BAD ASS! 325 lbs/ft of torque = I haven't found a bolt that it wouldn't break loose.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I got this thing for Christmas 2 years ago.
:kewl: IT KICKS ASS!
:kewl:

Craftsman 18V 1/2" Drive Cordless Impact Wrench

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there adapters you can get to change the quick hex chuck drivers, so you can use sockets? i would be able to use that more than just stricktly socket driver

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
i have the 12v 3/8 dewalt... best tool ive ever owned!

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
I got a Makita 1/2" last summer. $350-$380 from Amazon, on sale. Normal price is just under $500. Light, powerful, even has an LED spot light that comes on when you pull the trigger.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I am a Milwaukee tool Junkie -
-Milwaukee has a 5 yr warranty

Here is part of my truck tool kit-
Milwaukee 18 volt Cordless Imapct- 240 ft*lbs
Purchased in 2003 and still running strong.
- I don't even feel compelled to go to the 28V version-
It will also be able to take advantage of Milwaukee's new Lithion Ion V18 battery packs

If I had not already invested in Milwaukee 18 volt tools-
I would go with either the V18 or V28 Impact depending on price difference.

One thing to keep an eye out for are promotiosn from Milwaukee or Dewalyt - Buy a tool set - get a free impact wrench
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/site.nsf/vwPromos/D2474CA6543680B9862572AD004DA951/$FILE/V28%20Combo%20Kit%20Promotion.pdf?OpenElement

Everything fits nicely in a Pelican 1400

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
funny as I've been thinking bout gettin one of these...sounds like you are a fan of the mil.

have too keep an eye out for a set of tools from them as i'd also like a screwgun(still plugging in:() and a battery powered sawzall..

Thanks

mike

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
ok you all have missed something tinkertoy said about adapters which leads me to believe that he has a different tool in mind. I am assuming that you are looking at the little impact drivers that have the quick change tip http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=6341. That is not an impact wrenchhttp://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=6347. Those little drivers are rated in inch/pounds not foot/pounds like the wrenchs. So if it is rated at 1170 in/lbs than that is only 97.5 ft/lbs. Those are useful tools for getting small bolts and stuff loose but propably won't be able to budge a lugnut nor would I trust one that has been put on with one. So are you wanting an impact driver or an impact wrench. But as stated by others Milwaukee, Makita, and Dewalt are all good brands. but the impact driver is not what you want for working on the truck, but yes there are adapters so you can put sockets on the impact driver

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
98taco4x-

I also have this "cordless" impact driver ;) that never runs out of batteries

OP- If you intend on removing lug nuts- get an cordless impact wrench with a 1/2" drive with enough torque-

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks 98taco thats what i wanted to know, the drivers are not strong enough for say lugs and large stuff so i have to go wrench, which is fine i have a drill already and 18v seems powerfull enough.
thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are there attachments where you could use the impact wrench for changing tires, working on your truck but you could also add an attachment and use it as a drill?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Are there attachments where you could use the impact wrench for changing tires, working on your truck but you could also add an attachment and use it as a drill?
There are adapters for almost anything. But I wouldn't use an impact wrench as a drill, it would probably break bits faster than you could blink.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
thanks 98taco thats what i wanted to know, the drivers are not strong enough for say lugs and large stuff so i have to go wrench, which is fine i have a drill already and 18v seems powerfull enough.
thanks!

No prob glad I could clear that up for you. But I would try and find (if possible) an impact wrench and drill, sawzall combo that works of the same battery so you don't have to have a bunch of chargers and batteries to lug around.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i like my snap-on 18v 1/2" impact....goes all day long...think it will do something like 300 lug nuts on motorhome before re-charging...at least that is what the snap-on guy told me ;P

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you're not worried about price, the BEST is the new Dewalt 36volt Impact driver. There is nothing out more powerful than this driver right now, bar none.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

[/thread]

I have one and its fucking BAD ASS! 325 lbs/ft of torque = I haven't found a bolt that it wouldn't break loose.

i got the same one that i "aquired" from work. along with a couple batteries and a charger. works great. but when using it daily at work ive found that the batteries dont last long...as in lifespan.and if you drop one, its over. love the tool though

1 - 20 of 25 Posts