TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the concensus was on the best place to buy replacement CV's for those of us with suspension lifts in the front that love to blow boots like there's no tomorrow. I have run the truck for a while with a crack in the fins and just want to replace the whole CV and not just boots. Place to buy and part #'s would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Still trying to get used to this new forum.

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
I bought one from a member that was going SAS - MUCH cheaper than new. You can also find some aftermarket shops that sell them - try a search on Google for CV Axles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really want stock CV's cause the exact same thing is going to happen, and it happend fast after the lift for me. I was hoping to find some high angle, or put high angle boots on new stock CV's if anyone has had any positive experience doing this. I know you can get standard CV's all over the place, I'm looking for input on replacements tha are better than stock. Thanks for the obvious though.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
ewood said:
I don't really want stock CV's cause the exact same thing is going to happen, and it happend fast after the lift for me. I was hoping to find some high angle, or put high angle boots on new stock CV's if anyone has had any positive experience doing this. I know you can get standard CV's all over the place, I'm looking for input on replacements tha are better than stock. Thanks for the obvious though.
Its not the CV's them selves that are causing the boots to wear. its the boots. I don't think their are any high angle CV axles that arn't custom made.

CV unlimited sells high angle CV boots. $50 an axle make sure you state that you want their high angle boots, not the normal ones.
Also the 04 cv boots are a different design and don't wear as quickly as those before... This is just from what I have heard. I have 5K on my 04 boots and they need to be replaced. Damn ADD.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
ewood said:
Better than stock would be cvunlimted, I guess, but I've never run those, so I can't say they're actually better than stock. I'm assuming you're add? If you're wrekcing boots from daily driving, you probably need to crank you coilovers down, or get a diff drop (differing opinions on these, again, I've never used one). If you're blowing cv's from 4wheeling, you should be carrying spares in your tool box. You can replace them for free if you buy them from autozone or advanced.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ewood said:
Just wondering what the concensus was on the best place to buy replacement CV's for those of us with suspension lifts in the front that love to blow boots like there's no tomorrow. I have run the truck for a while with a crack in the fins and just want to replace the whole CV and not just boots. Place to buy and part #'s would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Still trying to get used to this new forum.
there is currently one aftermarket HD CV axle maker, CV Unlimited and all they do is rebuild OE assemblies replacing the outer joints with a beefier Neufield...they still break however ;) Their boots are definitely superiorto OE though. Price: $500, you send in your axles; $750, they send you new rebuilt units with no core charge.

The only other option is custom Porche (930 turbo) axles or other custom racing axles for $3-5k/set.

CVU's boot kits are $50/axle and include everything needed.
Downey also has some hi-angle boot kits for a little less.
the '04 Taco comes with a new hi-angle boot that is available from chris in Dallas for a great price.
boots are interchangable between manual hub and ADD.

In other words, you are stuck. If you want the higher lift that won't wear out boots so fast go with a 'drop-bracket' style and get your CV angles back down. Swapping ADD to manual hubs will help but if you wheel a lot the boots still wear out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question, if I have been running with the boot torn for a while (5K) should I straight up relace the CV's or could I replace the boots only. I assume the answer is to check the CV's for unusual wera from the lack of grease and replace accordingly but want to ask around to get other opinions. Thanks for the input bros.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
ewood said:
Question, if I have been running with the boot torn for a while (5K) should I straight up relace the CV's or could I replace the boots only. I assume the answer is to check the CV's for unusual wera from the lack of grease and replace accordingly but want to ask around to get other opinions. Thanks for the input bros.
Sounds like the best plan is to do what you stated.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ewood said:
If you wheel your truck you should have at least one spare axle, 2-4 if you really get crazy.
So, if you have one ;) throw it in there and then check out the other with the blown boot. it is a lot easier to do the visual on a bench. Look for any play within the outer joint, there should be none. the inner tripod is pretty hard to break.

boot kits are around $50 of less depending on what/where you get.
rebuilt axles can be found for less than $100 not including core.

if you don't have a spare, get one ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
ewood said:
You can replace a lot of boots for what it costs to convert to manual hubs. I just picked up my last part today from the salvage yard to make the switch. The aggravation of replacing boots finally wore me down enough to lay out the money.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Nanotruck said:
You can replace a lot of boots for what it costs to convert to manual hubs. I just picked up my last part today from the salvage yard to make the switch. The aggravation of replacing boots finally wore me down enough to lay out the money.
I know the new swap kits are just over $1k; what did you wind up spending on salvage parts? One local guy did it for around $500 with wrecking yard/SAS parts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hytenor said:
I know the new swap kits are just over $1k; what did you wind up spending on salvage parts? One local guy did it for around $500 with wrecking yard/SAS parts.
I'm gonna have about $700 in it by the time it's complete. Adding in all the incidentals like gear oil, grease, seals, a couple of snap rings, blah, blah.... The labor is free for me this way. If I got the ORS kit, I would still have to pay a shop to do the press work since I don't think I could do that myself. So, it comes out to about half the money.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
46,000 mi with no boot failure, and plenty of flight time..... The boots are a total luck of the draw. Better to get the fancy high angle units, or maybe the Downey boots, and learn how to change them.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Nanotruck said:
I'm gonna have about $700 in it by the time it's complete. Adding in all the incidentals like gear oil, grease, seals, a couple of snap rings, blah, blah.... The labor is free for me this way. If I got the ORS kit, I would still have to pay a shop to do the press work since I don't think I could do that myself. So, it comes out to about half the money.
that sounds good. the other swaps I'm aware of only listed the initial parts, not getting everything together and running ;)

mine came stock that way :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
hytenor said:
that sounds good. the other swaps I'm aware of only listed the initial parts, not getting everything together and running ;)

mine came stock that way :D
A couple weeks ago, someone posted the whole setup with 30k on the old board for $400. :eek: I emailed him PDQ and offered him $550 shipped from VA. I think he was too busy to ship or something and I never heard back. Maybe he realized he was giving away almost brand new parts???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts