TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have been lurking the forums for some while now with the intention on buying a Tacoma in the near future. i need some advice on which model is best for me. my budget is at most 14k. i defiantly want the v6 and quad or at least extended cab. im open to all opinions on what the best year Tacoma to get is. is there any years or models that stand out as being better or mosre reliable?

i do not plan on modding this truck as it will be a daily driver ( needs to be reliable) and it will used as a beach truck too.

thanks!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Mine is the best!:D
sixfootglass said:
i defiantly want the v6 and quad or at least extended cab. im open to all opinions on what the best year Tacoma to get is. is there any years or models that stand out as being better or mosre reliable?

…and it will used as a beach truck too.
With these comments I would suspect that you want impulse red as well, and I would further surmise that you have been watching too many Tv adds, especially the one with the girl friend having the guys quad cab taco pushed off the cliff.:D

Seriously though, for the price/budget you have and wanting a quad cab. I would go with an '00 maybe '01. But I haven't priced them in a long time. I know my '97 is fetching around $8k last time I checked, so I am judging my opinion on that.

Do you want a 4x4? you do realize the quads only came with an automatic correct? If you want a 5 speed and a v6 then you will be limited to searching for only extended cabs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an '01 extended cab that I love to death. Very user friendly, the 2001 to 2004 are in my opinion the best.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Your price range limits you to pre-05 Tacos; likely 01 or 02 at the newest. 97 was the first year to come with the option of a locker from the factory. Get the newest one that your budget allows. You don't plan on modding the truck, but it's always nice to have a little $$$ left over to upgrade something, or repair/replace something that's due for it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
U can't get a 97-00 taco in 4 door they only start to make them in 01+ models and are all auto untill 05+ models.. I've had my 01' (see my signature) for two years now and love it. It's the best truck i've ever owned. NEVER had anything go wrong with it.. Only thing I've ever replaced were the brake pads lol... Anyways looking at your price range (14k) you could get a 01+ 4 door 4x4 pretty easily around my place you look. Just got to shop right.. The toyota place is about to give me 13,100 for my truck as a trade in and thats after I negoitiated a starting price on the truck... So the deals are out there.. just don't rush them

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Everyone has been 100% correct so far in my opinion. I am in the market for an 01-04 bodystyle DC taco. If you are willing to get a truck with 70-100k miles on it, you wont have a problem finding a DC 01-04 truck. If you want something with lower mileage, you will be looking at from $15k-$19k.

These 3.4L engines are very reliable and if you look around the site, most people LOVE them!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you fellas are awesome and thanks for the good info...

i shouldent have said " beach truck" because what i meant is that surfing is my #1 hobby so that will be the trucks main use lol

oh yeah and i def want an auto, my lexus is 5spd and so has every other car ive owned :rolleyes:

·
Registered
947 Posts
99 is doing well. Just hit 99K today. Only repair to date is a new battery.

01 extended cab hit 47K before sale and was very nice

02 double cab was at 110K without 1 single problem, not even a new battery.

Out of those, the 99 is my fav because it has manual hubs, shift lever, and its a single cab. The 01 was nice too, not much different than the 99 except it was extended cab. The 02 double cab of course had tons more room, and was a lot more comfortable. Seemed to be just as durable as the others as well. I sold it for a price that was well within your budget if that helps. I would look for the 02-04 model double cab. Just search around.. Dealers price Toyota's very high, and people usually pay it. I sold my 02 on the low side because I did not want to have to deal with it for weeks. I was hoping to have it gone in a week or so. It sold at 8:00am the morning it came out, and two people were fighting over it. Had to break out the caller ID to settle who called first. So, maybe you will get lucky and find someone like me who was selling a little below market value to get it gone quick..I would get the double cab for your use. That way you can store your stuff in it while at the beach and not have to worry about it getting stolen. You are not in need of a short wheel base, and the extended cab does not give you that much room for larger items. Midgets are all that can ride back there too.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've never heard of a problem with the ac....but you don't really hear about much going bad on them. The rear leafs are probably the weakest link, but are a wear item...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
ljschnel
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing