TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have searched around, but dont have any REAL answers quite yet. I just wanted to see what your guys opinions were on what you feel is the best exhaust system for an 01-04 tacoma. I have a quad cab V6 with an intake, but kinda want something else now too. I really wanted to go with a TRD catback system, but ive heard they sound like crap. Ive also heard a few good things about magnaflow and gibson but again not good enough answers to make me feel good enough to go get one. Basically what do you guys think sounds the BEST and gives a good amount of extra power? Thanks in advance :) Any advice will help but PLEASE dont say things like "SEARCH" and make lame remarks. Im just lookin for opinions thats all.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The TRD is a magnaflow cat back, why pay more for the same thing? I run a flowmaster 40 and love it. Id recomend a search also before you get bashed for it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am in the same boat..i am looking for something to give me a deep tone..maybe like a 350z, i love the way the vq sounds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
_BEN_ said:
Yeah I wish my truck sounded like a Z too.
Then go to a junkyard and find a z. Jack the muffler and weld it to you truck. LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so everyone thats sayin they like the FM 40... is it full cat or you choppin it? and yea i know i can put one together myself too.. i just would rather get it done and throw it on i guess... either is ok though.. Anyways, i guess i just want as deep as i can get cause every taco ive heard so far (not literally every) sound almost to ricey. Its just one of those things where i dont know if id rather stick with my stock muffler and just have nothing, or TRY to find something that will just sound... ok...

·
Registered
332 Posts
go to your local Midas and pay the man, have a cup of coffee and youll have your truck back in 30 45 min

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nzanesmith said:
go to your local Midas and pay the man, have a cup of coffee and youll have your truck back in 30 45 min
Pay him for what? I know how to put an exhaust on, so i have no need for that, just wanting to get more feedback on what people think about the exhaust sounds.

·
Registered
808 Posts
cleantacoma said:
Pay him for what? I know how to put an exhaust on, so i have no need for that, just wanting to get more feedback on what people think about the exhaust sounds.
I had the fm40 as well. Had a nice sound to it up to about 3k or so RPM. Once higher in the rev range (4k-5k), the rice sound began to set in. I have th Borla now and it sounds a little more mellow. IMHO, your not going to get that much extra HP out of the exhaust. In fact when I had the fm40 put on, I was dissapointed with the result. It felt as though it had a little more pick-up higher up in the RPM's but robbed some of the lower end torque...which is helpfull when wheeling.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
_BEN_ said:
Yeah I wish my truck sounded like a Z too.
I just wish mine didn't sound like a queef.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i am also looking to put exhaust on my tacoma. there is a place near my that does all custom exhaust piping and exhaust. i am going to get all new piping for my exhaust i just dont know what kind of muffler i want. which would sound the best. i hear that flowmaster would sound the best and it would be more throatier than magnaflow but i have never actually heard flowmaster on a 3.4 litre.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so anyone else got any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
cleantacoma said:
just wanting to get more feedback on what people think about the exhaust sounds.
cleantacoma said:
so anyone else got any suggestions?
there was a thread floatin around that was strictly about exhaust clips. Sounds like thats what your lookin for...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an '04 V6 extra cab with a Magnaflow stainless steel cat-back. It's stock TRD 4x4 otherwise. I love the sound and it gave a small but noticeable difference when hitting the gas. To me the sound is a nice deep smooth sound. Not raspy like a flowmaster, not too high pitched like a ricer. You can hear it in the cab with the windows closed, but it isn't overpowering, i.e. you can still carry on a conversation at a normal volume and drown out the sound with music at a moderate level (unless of course you are smashing the pedal, then it really sounds good). One plus is that it re-routes the exhaust above the leaf springs, don't have to worry about it getting in the way of a lift (although it may be a problem at full compression, I haven't really checked that out).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's a v6 guys, it's never going to sound like a Z. If you want that throaty gurgle, you're gonna have to get the engine to go with it. Otherwise we're all still driving a ricer's engine, no matter what you do to it.

Cut your pipe and drop in a flowmaster or whatever you want. If you don't like it after a while (the sound will change over time slightly) then sell the muffler and try another.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've heard that a FM 50 Delta sounds good on a 3.4, but I have no proof... Yotatech had a thread on exhausts with numerous clips I believe... Try lookin' over there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts