TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am sure every noob probably posts this, and I am apoligizing in advance if this is annoying to some of you veterans, but I would LOVE your input. I have learned that if you listen to the more experienced, you tend to get things right quicker and don't have to learn the hard way...

That being said, what do you think is the first best overall mod you can do for off roading. I am SERIOUSLY considering a PowerTraxx No-Slip System for the rear. I also wouldn't mind lifting my truck, but I want to retain the stock ride and stock suspension geometry for the most part. This is my daily driver too after all. I want everyone's opinion and ideas... MUCH THANKS!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Locker

I suggest a locker. When you have both rear wheels working, you're going a heck of a lot farther!

I had lifted my 88 truck, done all sorts of power mods, etc, but still did the one wheel wonder in the rear.

Much more success in wheeling with a locker!

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
sliders! and armor.unless you like body damage.

·
Registered
499 Posts
First is some pull points front and rear. Then sliders. You will be amazed at how far a well driven stock truck can go and so will all your buddies. Then add some mud terrain tires 31" or so to keep you truck "Stock" for daily driving. As far as the locker I wouldn't worry about that right now. A stock toyota is a good trail rig locker or not.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Blinn79 said:
Ok, I am sure every noob probably posts this, and I am apoligizing in advance if this is annoying to some of you veterans, but I would LOVE your input. I have learned that if you listen to the more experienced, you tend to get things right quicker and don't have to learn the hard way...

That being said, what do you think is the first best overall mod you can do for off roading. I am SERIOUSLY considering a PowerTraxx No-Slip System for the rear. I also wouldn't mind lifting my truck, but I want to retain the stock ride and stock suspension geometry for the most part. This is my daily driver too after all. I want everyone's opinion and ideas... MUCH THANKS!!!

do a drop bracket lift

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
Front and rear attachment points should be your first mod. Can be pretty cheap and can really save your ass on trail. Especially if you wheel with others. You can gain experience wheeling and get pulled out when you get in too far.

Next would be good sliders, ie Demello, AllPro or Bent Up. A winch is a good add on if you have the cash. Warn has a winch-air compressor combo.

I suggest you save up and get an ARB locking differential. Gets you farther than a limited slip and can be turned off for the street.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, after doing A LOT of searching, I am thinking skid plates and sliders are going to be my first mod. I don't want to bash my truck up. So my next question is.... who makes a good slider that BOLTS on to the frame with EXISTING holes ONLY??? Also any recommendations for skid plates? By the way I don't have mommy and daddy paying for all this stuff so price is a concern...

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
3inch body lift.first thing.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
IMO... I'd do the locker... There are a ton of trails out there that don't require armor... But extra traction is a big plus...
Keep in mind the locker will make you feel like you can do more... so to back that up you need a recovery method... Winch/come-a-long, strap, tow points, Hi Lift... etc...

Since I'm assuming yer a noob to all this... You should start out on lesser trails that are less critical and where you can't get into as much trouble... And go with folk that know there shiat and can assist you if you run into trouble...

When you start running the more difficult trails then you'll need the armor for sure...

Most would say armor first... But to me that's putting a an inexperienced person on a trail... they really should not be on... until they learn some basic off-road skills first...

My choice of order...

Recovery gear (safety first)
locker
armor
tires
regear (when you realize what all the above shiat has done to yer junk :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
401 Posts
Blinn79 said:
Ok, after doing A LOT of searching, I am thinking skid plates and sliders are going to be my first mod. I don't want to bash my truck up. So my next question is.... who makes a good slider that BOLTS on to the frame with EXISTING holes ONLY??? Also any recommendations for skid plates? By the way I don't have mommy and daddy paying for all this stuff so price is a concern...
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54791

Read here. As for cheaper bolt on sliders contact this guy.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25012

For the skid plate go Budbuilt: Might want to get a belly pan as well.
http://www.budbuilt.com/new/ifs.html

Next get you some recovery points and some tires. I'd go with BFGoodwrench M/T's if you want a daily driver. How much do you have to spend?

Finally you go with one of these:
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/powertrax_tj/page2.htm

NO NEED FOR CAPS AND BOLD SPACING MAN, WE CAN ALL READ.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You wheelin in mud, sand, rocks??????????

mud, snow, sand-more horsepower, suspension & tires
rocks-tires, sliders, rear locker & rear suspension

rocks win all the time...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
33 Participants
tacd44
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing