TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a compressor for the garage to be able to run an impact. I know that an oiled pump is the most durable but that also comes with a bigger price tag. I want something that will take off 6 lugs @150psi without having to take a break for it to build back up. does anyone have an oiled or non-oiled compressor that they would recommend that has somewhere between 150-200 psi. Price range is $400 or less

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i bought a 33 gal stand up craftsmen compressor for $250 off craigslist a few years ago. it was barely used and looks like it just came out of the box.

my only complaint is that is is pretty loud, but that comes with the territory of a oil-less compressor.

you should be able to take the lugs off of all 4 tires without it running out. you may have to turn it off since it turns on when it gets below a certain point, but even after that you still have plenty of air to do stuff.

i say keep an eye on craigslist.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Save another 200 and buy a 150 PSI, oiled compressor with a 60 gal tank. You will be glad you did later on, when you are using an impact, an air ratchet, and a plasma cutter at the same time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I got my friends old huskey 30gal portable tank from him works pretty good. Craigslist is a good idea look for a 70s era monster compressor they go forever.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a Kobalt 30gal compressor a few years ago. Paid $400 on sale. It is a belt driven oil lubed pump with a 2HP motor. 120V or 240V. 3yr warranty. Its been working great since day one. Lowes item # 53661.
figures, just found this exact one on craigslist except it the older 1.7hp castiron model. To bad im not going to be buying it till i move into my new house in august

·
Registered
241 Posts
Second for the 33 gallon Craftsman. Had it about three years now. Do yourself a favor and replace the mild steel drain valve on the bottom with a $3 brass one. Mine rusted out twice even though I drained it all the time. Just the residual vapor in the tank screwed the cheap valve. Mine cost $400, plus it was a sale weekend so the threw in the three piece air tool set and no tax. The basic impact from craftsman is junk and does not even come close to it's rated 300lb-ft...broke that one twice too!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Second for the 33 gallon Craftsman. Had it about three years now. Do yourself a favor and replace the mild steel drain valve on the bottom with a $3 brass one. Mine rusted out twice even though I drained it all the time. Just the residual vapor in the tank screwed the cheap valve. Mine cost $400, plus it was a sale weekend so the threw in the three piece air tool set and no tax. The basic impact from craftsman is junk and does not even come close to it's rated 300lb-ft...broke that one twice too!

yep. i put the brass drain plug in not long after i got it. the steel one kept leaking a little bit

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too have the Craftsman 33gal compressor with the free beginner kit. I thought it was only around $280 but that was 3 years ago. It's an OK beginner compressor, but running a die grinder at all gets annoying because it kicks on so often.

It is annoyingly noisy, but what compressor isn't? I've been meaning to put it in the attic and plumb a line down through the ceiling for the moisture drain and air line but haven't got around to it yet.

As for the impact, I set the air to the full 150 psi and keep it well lubed and the sucker takes off most that I throw at it, including rusted out bumper bolts.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you're serious about a compressor, it has to be 220v with a good dual stage motor/pump. Worth paying an electrician to run a good 220v outlet to the garage, especially if you ever plan to weld.

Anything 110v sucks ass, and are super loud. If I still had a compressor, I'd build a well insulated box for it so I could stick it outside. I've read you can also rig up a fancy silencer for the air intake to kill the noise.

Many moons ago I was looking for a nice compressor. Turns out Amazon has a lot of nice shit, and free shipping. If you have Prime, it was 2 day shipping for a 200lb+ compressor. Gonna order an ARB from them for that very reason.

A bit over your budget, but likely worth it, especially with the kick ass CFM rating:

http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Air-ILA3606056-60-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B002MKP5K6/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1340755645&sr=1-3&keywords=air+compressor+industrial

·
Registered
764 Posts
I picked up a ~26 gallon Craftsman compressor for my garage. I was limited heavily by space and only having one 220v receptacle. This was bought mainly to go with my plasma cutter, so it had to be 110 volt (not to mention this was in my parents garage). It works pretty good with my Plasma cutter. It will run as I am cutting, but it never falls behind which would require me to stop, which is all I ask for. I very rarely use air tools either besides the occasional die grinder and air blower. I have a Dewalt impact for lugs and what not. It is very noisy, but it does the job find for a decent priced, oil-less unit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
http://www.tractorsupply.com/campbell-hausfeld-reg-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor-3310006

End of story.

60 gallon
3.2 HP
FULL Cast iron motor (not an aluminum motor with cast iron sleeve. Way quieter and cooler)
Oiled motor (you don't want oiless. Too loud)
Those are good compressors, and better advice! Cast iron, oil lubricated pumps are longer lasting and quieter. Get one with a separate motor with belt drive, they last longer.

If you're serious about a compressor, it has to be 220v with a good dual stage motor/pump. Worth paying an electrician to run a good 220v outlet to the garage, especially if you ever plan to weld.

Anything 110v sucks ass, and are super loud. If I still had a compressor, I'd build a well insulated box for it so I could stick it outside. I've read you can also rig up a fancy silencer for the air intake to kill the noise.

Many moons ago I was looking for a nice compressor. Turns out Amazon has a lot of nice shit, and free shipping. If you have Prime, it was 2 day shipping for a 200lb+ compressor. Gonna order an ARB from them for that very reason.

A bit over your budget, but likely worth it, especially with the kick ass CFM rating:

http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Air-ILA3606056-60-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B002MKP5K6/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1340755645&sr=1-3&keywords=air+compressor+industrial
dual stage isn't necessary for mechanics, my CH maxus goes up to 145 psi but its a beast (17scfm @ 90psi), themost noise from mine is the low frequency thumping sound.... Not exploding vacuum cleaner like the direct drive oil free pumps.

Btw rule of thumb, the larger size the motor, the better it is, dont look at th hp ratings, they are bs!!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have the 33 gal craftsman as well. Its funny- I bought mine like 10 years ago and it was way over rated- sticker says its got like a 7hp motor on it- which is total BS. I honestly cant complain about it other than the noise and it has a little trouble keeping up with a die grinder. I have used it ALOT- I keep waiting for it to bite the dust as ive heard alot about the longevity of the oiless compressors but I can say im pleased with it and surprised with its performance. Best thing I done with it was replace the 3/8" hose it came with to a 1/2" goodyear hose from Harbor china. It was only like $30 and it seems like my IR titanium has twice the ass it used to, definantly worth the $$$

·
Registered
932 Posts
Btw rule of thumb, the larger size the motor, the better it is, dont look at th hp ratings, they are bs!!!
I have the 33 gal craftsman as well. Its funny- I bought mine like 10 years ago and it was way over rated- sticker says its got like a 7hp motor on it- which is total BS.
Look at the amp rating on the motor... a 5hp single-phase should be drawing around 20 amps. If it says 10-15A, or runs on 110v, it ain't really a 5hp motor. I got an ancient GE ball-bearing 5hp single phase on my shop compressor, it's rated at 25A, is probably 10" around including the heatsink fins, and weighs 50+ lbs. :eek: It gives me a chuckle when I walk into a HD/Lowes and see a "5hp" compressor with a motor the size of a 3/4hp sump pump motor and a 110v plug.

If you've got room, I'd buy an old commercial compressor 10 times over before I'd buy anything new that's reasonably priced. If it hadn't been for concealed pump damage, my old one would've been running for ~$600, including the single phase motor. That's for an 80-gallon with a Champion R15 two-stage pump, IIRC it puts out about [email protected] :D

If your panel is close to where you're planning to put the compressor and you have some semblance of AC electrical skills (and 2 adjacent breaker spaces in the panel), it's not hard to add a 220v circuit for a compressor.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts