TTORA Forum banner

What is the best rear lift leaf spring for the 95 - 04 Tacoma

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At Moab, Texan1983, and I finally realized how badly we need new springs in the rear. Mine are OEM's with and Alcan AAL. Texan1983 is running OEM with Deaver 3-Leaf AAL. Both trucks have been wheeled extensively, and my springs are pretty much sitting straight (no arch), and his are actually a little bit negative arch.

I want a spring that will provide 3" - 3.5" of lift in the rear, and is good for wheeling, light hauling (camping gear, tools, etc), and will handle the additional torque of the Supercharger, and provide pretty good articulation. Right now I'm leaning toward a custom Alcan 9 or 10 leaf pack.

I know that Deavers are the "bling" "cool guy" "in" thing to do, so I don't need a hundred web-wheelers chiming in to say that Deavers are the best. Based on friends that have had Deaver 10's (and worn them out) I don't believe Deavers to be the best option for my truck. If you've never worn out a set of springs from wheeling - I doubt that you'll have much valuable input.

I did search, and there is no one good thread with a compilation of info on all the Tacoma leaf spring options available out there. THAT'S WHAT I'M WANTING TO START HERE.

Cast your vote, and please explain your decision. Any info on lift shackles would be appreciated too.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I can't say enough about my Alcan springs. They work excellent under load and flex better then I had hoped. I have had them for about 1 year now with no ride height change from the day I put them on. They have been wheeled hard and tortured with heavy loads with no negative side effects at this point. They do take a while to get but it was well worth the wait ;)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
my deaver 9's haul bikes and heavy gear w/o probs and flex ride great with just daytrip gear.
Mike

·
Registered
854 Posts
OME Dakars for towing and hauling. OK flex off road.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My vote is for Alcan, but I just recently put them on, so I am speaking from research I have done...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Using and loving my Dakars, they handle/control weight well and flex fine for me....I killed my stock ones and Love my OME setup in the rear.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hard poll to vote in because the "best" leaf spring is totally different for many people. For me the most practical choice proved to be the OME Dakar springs for their utility (load-carrying and decent flex) and the 2.5" lift they provided. They are also a cheaper option than some of the other springs listed, I think I spent between 300 and 400 dollars on my rear leafs. (It's been a while)

My vote goes to OME Dakar.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Seems like you already know what you want...since you voted for alcans yourself.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I said - that's what I'm leaning toward, and I had to vote to be able to automatically see the poll results when I Czech this thread.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
:bump:

I know you guys have more info, pics, and opinions...

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
My Deaver 8 leaf pack was custom built to my truck's specs by Scott at Deaver. I carry on average about 300lbs of additional weight behind the rear wheels at all times. This truck was wheeled more than 50 times last year and the springs have yet to show any sign of "giving up". I'm not talking about fire road wheeling either, just for reference. Personally, Deaver is my choice, there customer service is outstanding. The leaf pack that was in it before this one was a 5-leaf stock replacement pack from Deaver coupled with Deaver's 3-leaf AAL pack, it didn't survive long with that much weight and bump stops that were allowing the spring to neg. arch. I called Scott over a year after I bought them and explained my sitiuation. He promptly got all the specs (weight, lift desired etc..) and had me send him the leaf packs for a complete "re-do". They have been more than right since, ride great, flex great and have shown no signs of sag at all. There's my .02

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
63" chevy swap imo. It is inexpensive, they flex awesome, and they are off a damn chevy 1/2 ton so you they can handle a payload the same as any yota spring could. Mine originally were 3 leafs plus an overload off a 2wd chevy, i ditched the overload and ran them like that with budbuilt banana shackles and they matched my front 3.5" lift perfectly when I was still ifs. Now I had to add a 3" lift full length aal and big shackle to level my truck out but they still flex badass and I still am happy I went the chevy spring route.

You say you want a spring that will give 3-3.5" lift, that is exactly what mine gave me originally. You also want payload and ability to haul shit around, these will do that just fine. As far as articulation they flex really good cause they are so damn long. Just go pay 50 at a pick/pull, get some shackles and spring hangers and call it good.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only problem that I see with the 63" Chevy conversion is haveing to trust a local welding shop with relocating the hangers correctly.

I would actually love to go this route, but there aren't any "Off-Road" shops at all in my area, and I don't know if I could trust any of the welding shops around here.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Why do you say that?
Well maybe it's not the product it's OME but they said they'd work with the 2 inch lift, but I've blown 3 so no more OME for me. and I did however run stock worn out Toyota shocks for about a year with the same setup before I switched them and I never had an issue.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well maybe it's not the product it's OME but they said they'd work with the 2 inch lift, but I've blown 3 so no more OME for me. and I did however run stock worn out Toyota shocks for about a year with the same setup before I switched them and I never had an issue.
Would you recommend Bils 5150 for the rear then? I've heard the Bils 5150 series is exactly 3 inches longer than OME shocks when extended???

·
Banned
722 Posts
I haven't run them so I can't comment. I'm going to rework the rear end at some point and try something different. Seems that Bilstein has a good product out there though.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts