TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over my spring break I am going to try and link the rear of my taco. I am getting a custom fuel cell made so I can use my stock pump and sending unit.
(1) I was wondering what size pipe to run for the lowers, something like 1.75x.0.250 wall DOM or I even saw a set up with 2"x2"x0.250" wall square tubing? I could use something else and sleeve it if that would be stronger, any comments are appreciated.

(2) Another question is about what to run for the uppers? I know that these do not have to be as strong as the lowers but I didn't know if I should just run the same shit as I would on the lowers?

(3) As for the Heims I was wondering if 7/8" rod ends would be beefy enough for the lowers and 3/4" rod ends would be enough for the uppers? Any suggestions on a place to get a good deal on heims would be great.

(4) Last question, I have read a few different things about how to run the 4 link on a DD. Should I run heims at the axle and frame ends or mix it up with something like heims on the axle and bushings or johnny joints on the frame end?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.
N8

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Looked through the tons of stuff on Pirate?

In terms of link ends, I have heard that the best setup for a DD are heims at the axle end and bushings at the frame end.
If you triangulate either of the sets of links, make sure the ends are close to one-another as possible, i.e. make the point of the /\ as close together as possible. Also try to get all of the links on the same plane.

Those are some of the biggest issues I've read on Pirate.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've been trying to read as much as possible, but It's hard with all my school crap. As for the links I am going to triangulate the uppers and lowers. Thanks for the info. I'll keep on reading.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Are you using a fuel "cell" or just a custom fuel tank? I want to have a new fuel tank made, but still use all the stock taco internals so I remain smog legal. Who's doing it & how much? As for 4-links, I just bought some DOM tubing that I'll be using on my 4-link. Lowers will be 2"OD, 1/4"wall. BURLY. Uppers will be 1.5"OD, 1/8"wall. I'll probably use 3/4" hole/3/4" shank heims, because that's pretty stout, & my truck is not a competition rig.
Many people use chromoly tubing for links, but it's pricey & I think it's overkill for a recreational rig....but if you have the dough go for it. For links & cages I wouldn't use anything less than DOM....stay away from "pipe". You can use HREW tubing for stuff like bumpers, sliders, & spare tire carriers. I wanted my lowers to be super stout, but they could be sleeved to be even more so. I don't think the uppers take as much abuse, which is why I went with thinner, hence lighter tubing. My friend used 1.5"OD, 1/4"wall for all 4 links on his setup. Definitely strong. I would say as a rule of thumb, use at least 1/4"wall tubing on the lowers since they come into contact with terra firma, & use at least 1/8"wall tubing on the uppers, since they are more for locating the axle & resisting rotational forces. Those are minimums, so if you go thicker you add strength, but also weight. Heims can be very pricey, so that is the determining factor on how big I'll go on mine. But 3/4" is pretty large & should be plenty strong enough for most applications.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I may look into using some 2"x.250" wall DOM for the lowers. I quess I'll see what I can get my hands on. As for the fuel cell, I am getting my uncle to make it at his shop so I quess it is a "custom gas tank" and I haven't got a price on it yet, but I'm guessing that he'll give me a deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts