TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I got a 1999 tacoma with a 2.4l engine and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to what muffler would sound the best? I rather have a more throaty sound than a ricer sound but dont know what to get. I was looking at the magna flow 11255

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I'd leave the original on unless it's failing !?
IMO the 2.4 sounds buzzy with most any aft.mkt. muffler I've heard

a 18" MagnaFlow might keep that to minimum

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Take a page from my book. I have a 3.4L and ran a Flowmaster 40 series for 3-4 years. About two years ago I chopped it off and ran straight pipe for a while.

I got old, the noise got old, and I was sick of the MPG loss. I tossed a Bosal OEM muffler back on the truck and couldn't be happier with how quiet it is and how my truck seems to like it a lot more, better low RPM throttle response.

Moral of the story: Save yourself the time and money and don't mess with it. The stock muffler gives me more pep than a straight pipe/flowmaster setup did. I have not yet gone through a full tank but I imagine I will be getting better MPG after returning to stock. It was the best decision I've made for my truck and for myself, and others around me.

My guess is, you're probably a youngblood and I was too, I went through those stages. But after a while, you'll get tired of it. We all do.

My cousin has a bone stock PreRunner 3.4L Auto (besides a brush guard) and she has a flowmaster. Constantly complains about terrible gas mileage. Not sure what the problem is, but I bet the Flowmaster is contributing.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
My guess is, you're probably a youngblood and I was too, I went through those stages. But after a while, you'll get tired of it. We all do.
wow... you must be ancient as fuk !? :dunno: :p
Heck even this old stiff sports a FM40
and I like it... well on the 5VZ anyway

·
Registered
337 Posts
wow... you must be ancient as fuk !? :dunno: :p
Heck even this old stiff sports a FM40
and I like it... well on the 5VZ anyway
Mine sounds like shit Dell. I hate it. -_- People try to race me all the time when they hear my truck, it's 2.5" pipe with no cat and 40 dumped.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Mine sounds like shit Dell. I hate it. -_- People try to race me all the time when they hear my truck, it's 2.5" pipe with no cat and 40 dumped.
Same here. I'd be going up a hill I'd have to get to 2.5k RPM and then everyone wants to race. :facepalm:

Dell: we all know you're a high schooler at heart. haha

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Same here. I'd be going up a hill I'd have to get to 2.5k RPM and then everyone wants to race. :facepalm:

Dell: we all know you're a high schooler at heart. haha
advice to the both of ya...
when ya get someone egging you on at the stop light...
play along... rev the motor up to 3K to hint yer ready.
When the light turns green... drop the R's back down...
Smile and wave at the douche bags when you roll by....
they'll likely be the dorks parked in front of the flashing red light ;) :D

hahahaha thanks guys I guess I might just end up leaving it stock then
good call :2cents:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i have a 18" magnaflow and am very happy with it. It doesnt get annoying on the hwy, i has a awesome sound to it at WOT and does not sounds like a ricer at all. sounds great and sounds like a truck and isnt annoying on the hwy, which is what i was looking for. not too loud normally driving around town, but when you get on it, it sounds good.

i have the 3.4 so not sure how it would sound on the 2.7

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree with everyone, you get tired of the loud exhausts real quick. I had just a glasspack on my 5mge for a while and it was just way to loud. Threw on one of those round magnaflow cans, I think it was a 5inch, and it sounds so much better now. Really quiet but with a deep rumble at idle, and it's not even loud at high rpms (in comparison to what it was like before, anyway).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts