TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know SOME of this may have been already covered, but my question is an best of options scenario! The stock airbox on my '03 tacoma v6 has all of is mounts broken, therefore it does't sit in the stock position which draws air from the front and fender. I went to the dealer to replace it and they said i would need to buy a whole new box and would cost over $400! :mad: However, at my local kragans auto store, a K&N cold air intake kit would cost $225.

~Is the K&N a waste of money?
~Should i try to find a used stock air box somewhere?
I appreciate all opinions on the subject?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
how did you waste your OE air box?

My logic tells me that if buying a new/used OE box will cost you more than the K&N crap, then get the K&N crap anyways.

Like you, i've read many negative opinions in this board about those K&N intakes: they don't do what they claim.

Well, their claim is an increase in horse power. But I'm assuming that at least the suck air into the engine one way or another which is what you need. ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I know SOME of this may have been already covered, but my question is an best of options scenario! The stock airbox on my '03 tacoma v6 has all of is mounts broken, therefore it does't sit in the stock position which draws air from the front and fender. I went to the dealer to replace it and they said i would need to buy a whole new box and would cost over $400! :mad: However, at my local kragans auto store, a K&N cold air intake kit would cost $225.

~Is the K&N a waste of money?
~Should i try to find a used stock air box somewhere?
I appreciate all opinions on the subject?
find a used stock box from someone who switched to a cold air intake or find a stock box from a junk yard.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just recently purchased the tacoma a few months back not realizing it was broken, it sat in the correct position when I first examined it... call it a good glue job!!! Bought it with only 32k miles on it for $16k, it was a good buy, and even with the airbox broken still gets 20+ miles to the gallon, but i want to get it fixed!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just recently purchased the tacoma a few months back not realizing it was broken, it sat in the correct position when I first examined it... call it a good glue job!!! Bought it with only 32k miles on it for $16k, it was a good buy, and even with the airbox broken still gets 20+ miles to the gallon, but i want to get it fixed!!
take some pics of whats broken and maybe some of us can come up with some ideas to fix it. maybe fab up some cheap mounts to make it work right. have you tried anything to resolve it yourself yet?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
take some pics of whats broken and maybe some of us can come up with some ideas to fix it. maybe fab up some cheap mounts to make it work right. have you tried anything to resolve it yourself yet?
i thought about making some new brakets out of metal, I could do it i have the fab skills:welder:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Yea man, definitely do it yourself. Save boat loads of money, more fun, and will probably last you longer too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts