TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been many posts on here about the best type of oil to run and all of that, but nobody ever mentions the best filter. I recently purchased a 2002 tacoma and it is time for the first oil change, my old truck was a Z71 Chevrolet and I always ran Mobil 1 and an AC Delco filter. This truck I will run Mobil 1 but have yet to decide what type of filter to run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stay away from Frams.

People spend lots of money for their vehicles, and even for good oil, but are way too cheap for a good oil filter.

Mobil 1 and Amsoil are probably the best, if you can find them, w/Toyota next. Wix, Napa Gold, and Purolator PureOne are also good filters. Frams are the worst, quality wise, cheapest to buy, as well as, unfortuniately, the easiest to get.

There was a Lexus (Toyota) filter (P/n 90915-20004) available that was probably the very best, but Toyota stopped making them. :mad:

·
Registered
565 Posts
BLT2RCKTRD said:
I know there have been many posts on here about the best type of oil to run and all of that, but nobody ever mentions the best filter. I recently purchased a 2002 tacoma and it is time for the first oil change, my old truck was a Z71 Chevrolet and I always ran Mobil 1 and an AC Delco filter. This truck I will run Mobil 1 but have yet to decide what type of filter to run.

check out this site for what NOT to buy:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

·
Registered
836 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 "M1-209". I believe this is for the Liberty 3.7L application, but fits the Tacoma 3.4 and is slightly higher capacity than the filter designed for the Taco. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and change every 5000 miles. I haven't done an oil analysis, but based on visual and textural inspection of the oil coming out of my engine, I could go at least 7500.

·
Registered
279 Posts
BLT2RCKTRD said:
There was a big thread on delphi about this years back. Lot's of links and reading too. The best bargain for an oil filter is the Super Tech from Wal Mart. It works just as good as the Mobil1, Toyota, and the Amsoil and costs 1/2 as much. I forget who makes it, Champion or Wix?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My local slOwReily's didn't have the ACdelco filter for my tacoma so I ended up dropping a little extra cash on the Mobil 1 filter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BLT2RCKTRD said:
Heres another link. I've used both an amsoil and K&N for 12K and my oil analysis came back normal so I guess they both did there job.

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart5.htm

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've always wondered about buying filters on-line. I've always bought the Toyota filters, and have been rather troubled by their "new" shorter filter. Any suggestions on buying filters on-line?

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
akshunj said:
There was a big thread on delphi about this years back. Lot's of links and reading too. The best bargain for an oil filter is the Super Tech from Wal Mart. It works just as good as the Mobil1, Toyota, and the Amsoil and costs 1/2 as much. I forget who makes it, Champion or Wix?

Champion Labs makes the supertechs. Same basicly as an STP filter. They run about 2.09. For a buck more you can get the Motorcraft filter that has a better antidrainback valve. This is important on the Taco.. not on the road whore mitsubishi though so it gets supertech for now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 synth 5W-30 (or 5W-20) with an oversize Pure One PL30001 filter on my 99 2.7. If I cant get ahold of a Pure One, I'll get a Napa Gold or Wix.
(To use the oversize filter on the 2.7, there is a small boss that hangs down off the filter mounting that needs to be cut off/ground down flush with the mounting surface, to allow for the larger filter diameter. I imagine if you ever need warranty work done on your motor, and Toyota tells you its due to oiling issues, I'm thinking if they see the boss removed or an oversize filter, they may not warranty it...Just something to think about before making the modification)

I've always wanted to cut open one of my used filters to take a peek inside, but havent gotten around tuit yet....

I usually go about 6.5K to 7.5K on one oil change....
I've always wanted to send in an oil sample for analysis (even collected a couple samples), but havent gotten around to that either... :p

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
BLT2RCKTRD said:
I like AC Delco and Purolator myself....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That is a good question. The industry could not figure this out so the association they all belong to dreamed up "industry standardized tests" to figure all this out.

Using these stadardized tests AMSOIL comes out on top with Mobil 1 coming in second. If I remember correctly Peak Hard Driver comes in third. Then there is a gap and the rest of the filters come in with Fram near the back of the line.

After reviewing the data, I decided to use AMSOIL filters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
taco23 said:
Those are REALLY pricey filters or am I missing something here?
the spin-on filter you buy is pricey (~$100). But then you just replace the filtering element inside each time you change your oil (~$10).

·
Registered
22 Posts
After reading through this thread I have only seen one guy that has used the K&N oil filter. My truck is coming up on it's very first oil change and I have the mobil-1 5/30 oil and a K&N filter, would you guys suggest I use the k&n or should I try to find the mobil-1 filter? Thanks in advance. ;)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts