TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the new aor sliders. I am trying to figure out the best paint to use on the sliders. I was thinking that i would use the bed liner stuff that comes in cans. I would like to have them powder coated but there is no one local that will do in at at good price. I want some thing that will hold up good to rock chips and logs. thank

John

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
chasintail said:
I just got the new aor sliders. I am trying to figure out the best paint to use on the sliders. I was thinking that i would use the bed liner stuff that comes in cans. I would like to have them powder coated but there is no one local that will do in at at good price. I want some thing that will hold up good to rock chips and logs.
Either way the stuff is coming off when it hits a rock. I got mine powder coated and when they get banged up I just use some flat black Rustoleum paint on them. If I wait too long before I touch them up they will rust so I use Rustoleum Rust Stripper to clean it up first.

I've also tried the Duplicolor bed liner spray and it didn't match up to my sliders very well, looked like I just put electrical tape over the scrapes. But it might look good if the whole slider is the same finish.

A lot of people use the Rustoleum Hamerite paint which gives it a crinkley look sort of like powder coating.

·
Registered
119 Posts
chasintail said:
I just got the new aor sliders. I am trying to figure out the best paint to use on the sliders. I was thinking that i would use the bed liner stuff that comes in cans. I would like to have them powder coated but there is no one local that will do in at at good price. I want some thing that will hold up good to rock chips and logs. thank

John
I use simple Rustoleum Primer with a coat of rustoleum. No reason to spend a lot of money on them because it will be scraped off soon as the sliders are put to use.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
chasintail said:

John
use rust-oleum, if u put bed liner stuff it will grab onto a rock and make it start chiping like crazy. with rustoleum itll just scratch and u can spray it agian if u wanted too

·
Registered
272 Posts
chasintail said:

John
just use whatever is the cheapest...no point in buying bling bling pain on stuff thats gona get scraped off

·
Registered
168 Posts
chasintail said:

John
I used rustoleum industrial gloss black and it looks really good. Its very easy to spray unlike some of the other cheaper brands.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank for the advice.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
chasintail said:

John

Whatever you use make sure it is widely available and cheap. I am a big fan of flat black el cheapop Krylon for touch ups. The first paint job, you should prime ti and use good paint. Little good news comes from those who use bedliner material as it doesn't touch up well.

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
I got some stuff at the hardware store that is designed to paint the handles of tools and give it a textured finish for good grip. Comes in handy when you step on them and they are wet. No slip guarantee!

·
Registered
74 Posts
When i built my custom leaf pack, I used rustoleum industrial flat black and it has held up very well and is easy to re-coat if something gets chipped. I would use gloss on the sliders, though. Not to distract, but does anybody know a better place to get spray paint than home depot or true value? True Value is pretty diverse in what kinds of paint it has - but colors are often lacking. I can never find anything at Home Depot and when I ask someone they just look back at me with a blank stare.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Alan11116 said:
I got some stuff at the hardware store that is designed to paint the handles of tools and give it a textured finish for good grip. Comes in handy when you step on them and they are wet. No slip guarantee!
What's the name of that stuff?

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
796 Posts
I just got mine and painted them with the Rustoleum Hammertone for a couple of reasons. First, when we talk about cheap paint vs. expensive, we're talking a one dollar +/- difference in cost per can, and at most, only one can per slider. So after spending $250 on sliders, I might as well spend the extra buck. The Hammertone also patches easily, and the patch blends right in with the rest of the paint, because of the texture.

With flat black, patch spots may be readily noticable, unless you spray over a long area to help hide the actual patch, but it still works. One thing I noticed on another member's sliders, as far as the bedliner stuff goes, they will not just scratch off, but more likely peel off, and must be more of a pain to patch. Right, Tom?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sprayed black paint, generic, on a 2x4 tube. Masked the side. Resprayed the top of the slider. While it was still wet, applied generic play sand. Once it fully dried the masking tape was removed and the slider was blown free of loose sand with a shop vac and given a second coat of black. The finished product looked like a strip of sticky sand paper was applied. Every six months or so a new coat of paint is sprayed on to hid the dings and recoat the sand. $2.89 total. BIG SPENDER.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
chasintail said:

John
Don't know of anything other than powdercoat that will hold up to rocks, so here's my .02:
As mentioned elsewhere, Hammerite/Hammertone give great looks & touches up pretty well if you don't wheel too much or too hard. If you're really hard on them, go with a good flat like the BBQ grill black they sell at HD/Lowes/etc. It blends great for touching up, and if you get the surface really clean actually holds up really well. Good Luck!

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
796 Posts
I second the BBQ grill black, if you opt for a flat black. I just used that stuff on my own BBQ a couple months ago, and almost used that on my sliders. I does blend pretty well for a flat paint.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank for the advice I just goy some glosse black bumper and trim paint at autozone I think that will look good and will be easy to touch up. thanks

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
chasintail said:
Thank for the advice I just goy some glosse black bumper and trim paint at autozone I think that will look good and will be easy to touch up. thanks
Hate to burst your bubble, and I hope I'm wrong- but I'm not. Gloss is not gonna look good nor touch up well.... most of us have been there, done that. Good Luck...

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
00Andy said:
Not to distract, but does anybody know a better place to get spray paint than home depot or true value? True Value is pretty diverse in what kinds of paint it has - but colors are often lacking. I can never find anything at Home Depot and when I ask someone they just look back at me with a blank stare.
Try your local auto parts store as well as wal-mart, k-mart, and sears.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
26 Participants
DriftinCO
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing