TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else has problems seeing with their reverse lights on a '99 body style Taocma. I can't see worth anything at night in a completely dark place. I'm adding some bright bulbs, but I would like to do more.

I'm wondering if anyone has added extra reverse lights to a tacoma? I'm running a stock bumper and would like to place them somewhere undering the truck rather then in the bed on a bed-bar or roll-bar. I just can't for the life of me think of a good place or idea. Also, What kind of lights should I use? Fog Light , Driving Light , Off-Road Light , etc ... I was thinking that the fog light would be best because it produces a more wide beam then a straight one, but wanted to double check.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I'm wondering if anyone else has problems seeing with their reverse lights on a '99 body style Taocma. I can't see worth anything at night in a completely dark place. I'm adding some bright bulbs, but I would like to do more.

I'm wondering if anyone has added extra reverse lights to a tacoma? I'm running a stock bumper and would like to place them somewhere undering the truck rather then in the bed on a bed-bar or roll-bar. I just can't for the life of me think of a good place or idea. Also, What kind of lights should I use? Fog Light , Driving Light , Off-Road Light , etc ... I was thinking that the fog light would be best because it produces a more wide beam then a straight one, but wanted to double check.

Thanks
Chris

I went with a custom bumper and installed two 4" utility lights. Also nice for when someone comes at you from the rear with his brights on..... :D :eek: :D

I have also seen small rectangular lights (2" x 4") installed on either side of a tow-hitch.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I orginaly went with the above mod, with some 50 watt blazer bulbs from Autozone ($2-3) 3 years and they are still working fine... but after I built my rear bumper ended up blocking the backup lights with the side protection (the lesser of 3 evils, I left the brake and turn lights visable) I put two blazer fog lights on the rear top of my shell, and flip those on when needed, they work well like stated due to the wide beams I can see good on either side of me. Sometimes Wally world has the Blazer fog kits for $15, inlcuding both lights and all needed wiring and relays. Again they have worked and lasted fine, I even put two on the side to light up the sides.. no problems with them.. except I knocked one off on a tree at Big Bear last time..:rolleyes: . At least it was cheap to replace it..:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:

Thanks
Chris

If you have a dremel i'd highly recommend this. I picked up some cheap fog lights from Walmart for 20 bucks. I think it took maybe 1-2 cut off wheels in my dremel(if you have a cut off wheel & air tools it'd probably be a lot easier) but my dremel worked fine.

http://community.webshots.com/album/117582503CRIKvo
If the link doesn't work go to my webshots homepage on my profile and look in Winter 03-04 folder.

For lazy people i cut out squares in my stock bumper. I finished off the edges with that door edging you can pick up from any Pepboys, Autozone type store. Cut them at 45* so they match up nicely. I've been pretty happy with it and it's really helped out with backing up because i have the tinted windows in my cap. No to mention great for anti-tailgating light :D

As for your adding lights underneith. I wouldn't do it. If you look at those pics i also had lights under the bed facing backwards but i smashed the hell out of one on a snowbank by just backing up. I've backed into a tree with my bumper with the lights inside of them and i have had 0 problems with breakage. :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about doing something of that nature. Seems like something that I would enough doing with the boys.

I have a question for you on a different note. Do you have any pictures of your truck with the 3.5" lift and 31's? I'm looking for a lift but I need some pictures to get some ideas. Do you like the way that the Downey lift rides? Have you had any troubles out of the setup? Just the basics.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That will have to be the first that I try on my journey. I'm also trading out my stock lenses for stock '01 and up lenses. They seem more clear and reflective.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As much as that sounds like a good plan. I have a chrome bumper. I don't want to mess it up by drilling into it or anything. Thanks for the good idea though. Would make things easier though it if were a black bumper. Then I could simplely drill holes to mount them underneath the bumper itself.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was wondering when I would see you come around to this post. I was looking for you on the other board but couldn't remember you name. I'm gonna read up on your idea and see if that's something for me.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I was thinking about doing something of that nature. Seems like something that I would enough doing with the boys.

I have a question for you on a different note. Do you have any pictures of your truck with the 3.5" lift and 31's? I'm looking for a lift but I need some pictures to get some ideas. Do you like the way that the Downey lift rides? Have you had any troubles out of the setup? Just the basics.

Thanks
Chris
I like the downey lift the ride is nice and the articulation way better than stock. One problem is that the rear spring rubber bushings are shot and squeek, the ride probalby suffers somewhat too. I need to upgrade to greasable shackles and hanger pins, I just have not done it yet. and another small problem is there is some rubbing of the front drivers tire during hard off-roading, but not a big issue.

I will try to find or take a side shot of the truck this weekend, don't have one on the work computer :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
I have an 02 Tacoma, and the light bulbs are not like the Blazer 50W bulbs at all. The lens isn't built the same either. Sheesh, I had went down and bought the bulbs and was all stoked to have something to do tonight, and then..........
I ordered the brighter bulbs through Performance Products and they said they'd fit, but the '01 and newer trucks have a different bulb style. I dont really do anything through Performance Products anymore. And my plans are a custom bumper with light tabs built in.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
reverse lights

Tacoma4Life06 said:

Thanks
Chris
Chris,
it ain't just the 99's, haha. Did you not have trouble seeing out the back of your 92'? I know on my 90' I couldn't see dick until I put me some auxillary backup lights. Just get better bulbs in the tail lights, get xenons, they help a shitload. Also, get some cheap back up lights and bolt em' to the rear bumper or rear frame rails! Good luck, Wes

·
Registered
169 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
I have an 02 Tacoma, and the light bulbs are not like the Blazer 50W bulbs at all. The lens isn't built the same either. Sheesh, I had went down and bought the bulbs and was all stoked to have something to do tonight, and then..........
Does anyone know of any bulbs to replace those in the 02, because I was going to buy the Blazers until I found out that they don't fit/

·
Registered
565 Posts
Here are my lights...

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah no kidding. I never could see anything when backing up in my 92. Especially since the lift and the tires. I'm buying a set of 01 taillights this weekend for the truck, so I guess while I'm at it I will buy some 50watt bulbs, do that TN mod, and hope for the best right.

I'm probably going to add some extra lights later. As soon as I put on my trailer hitch I'm thinking about adding some fog lights on it. I was going to do the backup lights on the mud flap thing, but I'm removing mine I think.

Any other taughts about placement of lights. I don't want to buy that thing for the trailer hitch either. I don't want anything extra sticking out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts