TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting out of my 97 yota do the frame warranty...
and will probably be getting a 2000-2002 tundra...what is the best sounding exhaust in your opion.. i had done some searching and just want to hear your opion..

i love the trd just wish it was a bit louder

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Flowmaster or magnaflow single in dual out turndowns at the muffler. Either one will sound badass.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I'm happy with my Banks Monster. Deep and low.. I'm not into the loud phase. Go with Flowmaster, magnaflow, or borla.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Banks and Magnaflow have a deep, smooth rumble.

Flowmaster is louder with a little more crackle.

Spintech Sportsman XL is the only one independently dyno-proven to benefit the early 4.7L engine. Other mufflers will probably also gain but there's a catch:

The most important thing is to keep the stock 2-1/4" pipe...use the stock pipe and splice the muffler in the middle, or find a place with 2-1/4" dies, or lose bottom end torque.

If I were looking for sound, I'd get a Magnaflow. For power, the Spintech. Offhand I don't remember how it sounds.

-Sean

·
Registered
127 Posts
what about jba??

·
Registered
129 Posts
I personally like Gibson. i have it on my 03 and i think it sounds awesome. Its not SUPER loud but you can definitely hear it when you get on it.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
re do the "y" pipe off the cats, do a 2 in and 2 out flow master in 2.5" and then route both up over frame in front of rear tire and point them down. i did this and it sounded awesome!! i think spent 280$ for pipe and custom y pipe and 100$ for the muffler. the stock y pipe is mucho restrictive

oh and do the jba stainless headers . easiest header to put on

·
Registered
607 Posts
re do the "y" pipe off the cats, do a 2 in and 2 out flow master in 2.5" and then route both up over frame in front of rear tire and point them down. i did this and it sounded awesome!! i think spent 280$ for pipe and custom y pipe and 100$ for the muffler. the stock y pipe is mucho restrictive

oh and do the jba stainless headers . easiest header to put on
Can you get a shot of the way your pipes run? Over the frame?! I am intrigued :dancing:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
i was afraid somebody would ask me that. i have since sold my tundra, and dont have any pics of how the guy did it, but i am building one for another guy and i am going to do the exhaust pretty much same way.
heres build on one im doing now
http://tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95958
Yeah I have been following that build; it looks good! The reason I ask is because I have changed my exhaust twice....i know....stupid.

When I first got the truck 4 years ago I put true dual 2.5" pipes on it. That was dumb. Sounded good but did nothing and just got in the way.

I now have a single 2.5" pipe with one F/M muffler and y-pipe back in place exiting out the rear side near stock place.

The reason I am curious about the routing is because I initially wanted to have it exit out the side but because of the leaf mount and frame it just would have hung too low and potentially caused clearance issues off-road.

Although I still need to get some sliders so the side exhaust might have been out the window anyway :dunno:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Yeah I have been following that build; it looks good! The reason I ask is because I have changed my exhaust twice....i know....stupid.

When I first got the truck 4 years ago I put true dual 2.5" pipes on it. That was dumb. Sounded good but did nothing and just got in the way.

I now have a single 2.5" pipe with one F/M muffler and y-pipe back in place exiting out the rear side near stock place.

The reason I am curious about the routing is because I initially wanted to have it exit out the side but because of the leaf mount and frame it just would have hung too low and potentially caused clearance issues off-road.

Although I still need to get some sliders so the side exhaust might have been out the window anyway :dunno:
I did the same exhaust on my taco but only one pipe and it exits in middle of sliders:D

bad phone pic but its all i have right now, this is my taco
exhaust

·
Registered
296 Posts
I loved flowmasters until I bought one then my tacoma got bought back a month later when I pulled it off the truck I noticed that it had already began to rust and the case had started to get a little wavy now my exhaust guy said he would give me a new one for free on my new truck but that I would have to get another flowmaster to satisfy the warranty gods. He said he would much rather see me put a magnaflow stainless muffler with stainless pipe on my 01 tundra because it will crackle less and won't rust out and he said with that setup he would personally warranty everything up to and including his welds, the pipe, and the muffler for 5 years. He also told me that he sees alot of flowmasters do this because they are not as thick as they used to be so they seem to crumple but he added that most people don't keep an exhaust like this for much more than 2 years because they want something different or they change cars.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I loved flowmasters until I bought one then my tacoma got bought back a month later when I pulled it off the truck I noticed that it had already began to rust and the case had started to get a little wavy now my exhaust guy said he would give me a new one for free on my new truck but that I would have to get another flowmaster to satisfy the warranty gods. He said he would much rather see me put a magnaflow stainless muffler with stainless pipe on my 01 tundra because it will crackle less and won't rust out and he said with that setup he would personally warranty everything up to and including his welds, the pipe, and the muffler for 5 years. He also told me that he sees alot of flowmasters do this because they are not as thick as they used to be so they seem to crumple but he added that most people don't keep an exhaust like this for much more than 2 years because they want something different or they change cars.
interesting.. so the Flowmasters are not stainless and can rust... unlike the Magnaflows? How loud are the Magnaflows compared to the Flowmasters?

·
Registered
218 Posts
flowmasters do come in a stainless version but whatevers. i've seen magnaflows deteriorate within a period of two years; water gathers in the steel wool packing and deteriorates the muffler from the inside. but i've seen flowmasters last a long time too.

the main reason for our systems to rust out is the lack of evaporated water in the system. if the system isn't driven long enough to get hot enough to evaporate the water from the fuel, it'll sit and oxidize the pipe.

by the way, look at how your y pipe is out of the factory, the factory can NEVER make a decent y pipe. the flange might have to be expanded to fit a 3" pipe. go 2" to 3" on the y, then go 3" until the muffler (nothing beats a flowmaster, i've said it too many times), and do a 2.5" tailpipe. the relatively smaller tailpipe will help to maintain exhaust pressure.

mufflers aren't loud, they don't make any noise; engines do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After having 5 different systems/mufflers on my truck, I finally found one that I truly like. Aero 2525 muffler with 2 1/4 stainless steel pipe dumped by the spare tire. Sounds bad ass and no drone. I also have JBA headers and I removed the factory resonator.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just figured i'd throw this in for you guys to hear. Just did it saturday evening, Advanced auto had Origional flowmaster 40's on sale for $81 and i put it on the stock piping. Sounds deep and low under acceleration, pretty much the same at idol, and cant even hear it doing 65 down the freeway. Perfect in my opinion :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWV_tZcfq5I

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the Borla dual rear on my 05, it sounds good and went right on in 20 mins and looks nice. I'm not for the loud pipes as well so I kept the resonator in. I only wish they would offer some choice of tips. Overall, the intake is louder in the cab under load than the exhaust. I know borla isn't the cheapest setup on the market, but I am a strong beliver in "You get what you pay for." and Borla has had a good track record for a long time.

Do the headers and Y-pipe replacements affect sound much?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts