TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding an aux fuse block, with a relay so that all circuits will be switched with the ignition.

What is the preferred method to get switched power for the relay? I've seen where people tap into a fuse holder in the fuse panel, but there must be a more elegant method. I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No response to this so... either I asked the stupidest question ever and no one wants to embarrass themselves by answering, or no one knows the answer. I suspect the former.

If someone was willing to help the ignorant, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Since you are using a relay, you can just tap into any wire that is hot with the ignition on. Tapping into a fuse holder is pretty tacky so instead you can go under the fuse block and tap a wire inside of the wiring loom.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Interex said:
Tapping into a fuse holder is pretty tacky so instead you can go under the fuse block and tap a wire inside of the wiring loom.
I disagree ;) , I would prefer to tap into the fuse holder using a mini fuse tap spade http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=2096.

It gives a cleaner install that can easily be removed. -
I would prefer this method hands down to using a 3m scotch lock to tap into the wire loom.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
If you can get them in the fuse holder, mine were so damn tight I could never get them to go, so I chunked them across the driveway :) That's my .02

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Since your using a realy it doesnt matter, pick somthing under the dash that is easy to get to but hidden. I will be doing the same thing, acc power for the relay and a wire dir, fused, from the battery. I plan to use whatever is closest and easiest to where I mount the dist box.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
TacoCrazy said:
If you can get them in the fuse holder, mine were so damn tight I could never get them to go, so I chunked them across the driveway :) That's my .02

The ones I picked up from Radio shack fit better than the other ones I've seen at autoparts stores.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I always prefer soldering and heat shrink for my electical connections. You will never have to worry about a loose or exposed positive.

Phong - I've never seen those fuse taps before. Looks like the spade goes into the fuse holder and the tab sticks out in the open?

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Interex said:
I always prefer soldering and heat shrink for my electical connections. You will never have to worry about a loose or exposed positive.

Phong - I've never seen those fuse taps before. Looks like the spade goes into the fuse holder and the tab sticks out in the open?

i am with you on the solder & heat shrink all the way.-
For low amp usage, such as a 12V hot source for a powered switch - the fuse tap works out ok- No probs using them for the past 5-6 years. ...plus its removeable -
Instead of just jamming a stripped wire into the fuse socket ...you sandwitch the spade inbetween the holder & fuse- a male spade sticks out for you to quick connect a terminated wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
grillmasterp
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing