TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a crossbed toolbox used off of e-bay. It is an extra deep box that goes all of the way to the bed floor. Since I have a bedliner, I cannot use the hook type things they sell for the boxes. Right now I just have 4 big self tapping screws holding it down. I am concerned this will not be strong enough when out on a trail as the box is full of stuff and very heavy. I wanted to bolt it to the bed floor, but am worried about it not being water proof if I do that. I can just add more screws through the bed rails, but am worried it wont be enough. What do you all think?

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
drill the holes straight through the bedliner and bed cap and use some long bolts and nuts
I have never had mine move an inch, been strong for many a year

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Use a hole saw to drill a couple of access holes in the side of the bedliner.
I did this for the hold down clamps on a shell I had on my old truck.

Tim

·
Registered
137 Posts
joeylead said:
I just bought a crossbed toolbox used off of e-bay. It is an extra deep box that goes all of the way to the bed floor. Since I have a bedliner, I cannot use the hook type things they sell for the boxes. Right now I just have 4 big self tapping screws holding it down. I am concerned this will not be strong enough when out on a trail as the box is full of stuff and very heavy. I wanted to bolt it to the bed floor, but am worried about it not being water proof if I do that. I can just add more screws through the bed rails, but am worried it wont be enough. What do you all think?

I used 6 sheetmetal screws (3 on each side) each with very large washers (big diameter, little hole) and I have had trees grab the corners of it since the top is wider than the cab is, and it has not moved a bit. Those screws are alot tougher than you might think, and the large washers help disperse the force across a wider area.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so I am either going to make holes in the liner and use nuts and bolts, or just add more scresw with big washers. Or both! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have a drop in over the rail liner and a tool box that runs from rail to rail and all the way to the floor, i just cut 2 holes in the drop in liner and used the hooks provided w/the tool box.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
I have a low profile rail to rail box that is just using the j- hooks. haven't had a prob qith it moving even on the trail. has ~100 LBS

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought mine used and it dint have the j-hooks. The only thinks I saw at the store would not work with the bedliner, they werent hooks more like a block with a channel in it for the inside of the bedrail. I am going to have to try andfind the hooks.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
joeylead said:
I bought mine used and it dint have the j-hooks. The only thinks I saw at the store would not work with the bedliner, they werent hooks more like a block with a channel in it for the inside of the bedrail. I am going to have to try andfind the hooks.
I got mine from home depot

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
joeylead said:
Do a little measuring to see what size "J" hook you need, then go over to the "U" bolt section and find one close enough for your application (Narrow and long), trim one leg down to fit and your in buisness.
I lost one of my "J" hooks 2 years ago and have been using a cutdown "U" bolt since then, the box has'nt moved.

Tim

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tbplus10 said:
Do a little measuring to see what size "J" hook you need, then go over to the "U" bolt section and find one close enough for your application (Narrow and long), trim one leg down to fit and your in buisness.
I lost one of my "J" hooks 2 years ago and have been using a cutdown "U" bolt since then, the box has'nt moved.

Tim

Cool idea, off to home depot I go!

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
joeylead said:

Self tapping screws should be just fine-
However- I suggest not to mount and all four corners-
- You can use 4 bolts/screws - but mount them close together - on each side mount two near the cab or away from the cab-
- THis will allow the box to flex a litlle when the bed flexes-
If you mount all four corners - this can put more stess on the lid/hinges when the bed flexes

If you've already done the self tapping screws- I'd just leave it-
Otherwise- BetterBuilt sells a no-drill mounting system that clamps on to the bed rail, then you bolt down the box to those mounts-
- Its worked fine for my truck for the past 3 yrs
- I think they call it the Grip-rite

1 - 12 of 12 Posts