TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a badlands bumper that I want to strip the paint off of to have powder coated. I know I can sand blast it but I don't know anybody with a sand blaster and the powder coat company wants about $150 bucks just to sandblast it. Isn't their a chemical I can use? Does anybody have any experience with this??? I'm looking for an economical way to do this. Any help would be great! -Wes

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I stripped my badlands bumper with my grinder with a wire brush cup! took me about 20 minutes!

I don't like messing with chemical strippers since I have kids and pets, this is the best and cheapest way of doing it!

Give me a few minutes and I will see if I have some photos of the after math. I know I don't have photos of the process or even the before photos but I do have some of the bumper after it was finished.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like a great idea but I have a tube style bumper. Do you think it will be difficult to get between all the crevases with the wire cup or grinder?? Thanks for the help! -Wes

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, about how much did it run you to get it powdercoated? I just want to get an idea.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
wmflyfisher said:
That sounds like a great idea but I have a tube style bumper. Do you think it will be difficult to get between all the crevases with the wire cup or grinder?? Thanks for the help! -Wes

I use a wire wheel on my air die grinder. And a full face shield. :D

rust and paint comes right off, wipe it down with some thinner or somethin', primer and paint.

--Scott

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
wmflyfisher said:
Oh yeah, about how much did it run you to get it powdercoated? I just want to get an idea.
Powdercoated? LOL that isn't powder coating on my bumper! It is the DIY bed liner spray you get at Autozone! Looks like powder coating but it is cheaper and easier to repair on your own.LOL

as for the wire cup on tubing. I clean all my tubing with a wire cup prior to any fab work I do. With a little bit of effort (minimal) you can get in the small areas easy enough to get the job done!

Seriously, a wire cup on a grinder is the easiest way to strip metal!

Oh as it was mentioned by someone else…make sure and use a full faced shield. Those bristles on the wire cup hurt when they fly off and hit you in the face! I typically wear safety glasses under a face shield…but then again I am a photographer and my eyes are important to me

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nev2dep, I'm removing spray paint so that stuff will probably work good!

Bear, thanks for the info. I'll try the cup b/f I go to the chemical. I don't know if I can attach the cup to my grinder though. How did you do this?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Aircraft Remover

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
You can never beat a little elbow grease and time? It all depends on the amount of time you are willing to spend? Grinders, sanders or stripers all depend on time. What is your time worth?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point, I guees I'm just looking for the easiest method. I've got all the time in the world. -Wes

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
they have wire brush cups designed for grinders. instead of using an arbor, they just screw onto the spindle of the grinder!

Putting them on is easy, getting them off, sometimes requires a box wrench. but alot of the time I just grit my teeth and grab the cup with my hands and turn!( grinder off of coarse.:D)

·
Registered
98 Posts
x2 on the aircraft remover. that stuff works great for removing paint off of metal. used it on a white steel toolbox because we wanted to paint it black. took the paint right off.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Ive found slightly heating the paint and then it almost seems the wire cup blows it off before it touches it. Just use a propane torch and work your way around it getting the paint hot and go to town. Its fine if it cools, the heat makes the paint brittle. That way it doesnt just move around on the metal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts