TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to run a 3-link from D60 (88' F-350) with air shocks. Just wondering if anyone has done similar, and how long of link arms you used, where you mounted them (3rd link really), so on so forth.

Just looking for tips and things to watch out for.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Tacoma747 said:
Going to run a 3-link from D60 (88' F-350) with air shocks. Just wondering if anyone has done similar, and how long of link arms you used, where you mounted them (3rd link really), so on so forth.

Just looking for tips and things to watch out for.

Thanks

Alot of the guys that are doing coilovers are going with 3 link and a panhard bar up front. We did my '05 that way and it will clear 43 inches under the front tire before the rear starts to come off the ground and thats with out binding any where. I don't remember the lenght of my links but I'll get back to you tomorrow with some measurements.

We have found that it's much easier to mount the top link on the passenger side instead of over the diff on the drivers side. I drive my '05 on the freeway at 70 mph's on 40" mtr's that are yet to be balanced with no vibration or weird handeling.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Running 40's, wide ass axles, 14" CO's, rear suspension setup right... I think those are about 99% of that 43"...

Regardless- look at tacodab and Dick Foster's writeups for a crossmember idea; its an anchor but nobody will argue about their shit working.

Frame mounted links pretty easy; but I think theres more to the CO tuning than anyone gives credit for or I understand with the links run like that...

If you forget everything you learn on the internet- just don't forget to tack and flex. Fuckstick that I think he might possibly be, Chris Geiger has a pretty decent writeup on his 3link on his sammi on Pirate- kind of a stupidly simple design, primary, if not exclusive, trail use though.

Best link stuff I've found is on Pirate- almost nothing on setup on here, if not exactly nothing. Pirate is fucking techy though... patience is a virtue and it'll pay off in the end if you can dig through all the bullshit over there.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I can see you've put much time and effort in to your research. :p
Seems most peoples setups are all a little different from each others. Some mount there upper links on the driver side, some mount them on the passenger side. I mounted mine on the passenger side. Seems most people are using lowers between 36"-40" long, I think mine are 37".
I sugguest you start researching to see what will yeild the results you want. Pirate is a good tool to use, but it somes down to trial, error, and luck. I researched my link swap for about a year and I still had to chang things once I got it on jackstands and started working on it.
There are several link builds on this very site, search is salvation.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Keep top link as close to center of axle and frame as possible. make perpendicular to axle as possible. Slightly sloping downward to the axle from the frame. Keep at least around 4-6 inches of vertical seperation betweenuppers and lowers. My links are about 36inches long all 3, that way i can carry one spare. Make a link crossmember is a pretty easy way to go. I second the buying brackets and such from ballistic, I made my own but i am a cheap ass and it took a while. Just my :2cents: Check my sig for my 3link sas.
Matt

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
roll-bar Bob said:
if someone has the skills to put that kit on a rig he/she has the skills to get all the parts here http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/ at 1/2 the cost
This is definitely true. I have been following their builds and they have been mentioning that they are expanding and to look for their kits. I just keep waiting. They definitely do great work! I'm sure I could get everything I need from them, I am just a lazy bastard, time is limited for me and I want something as straight forward as I can get. I know i know...the fun is in the process...:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
awsumdc said:
Alot of the guys that are doing coilovers are going with 3 link and a panhard bar up front. We did my '05 that way and it will clear 43 inches under the front tire before the rear starts to come off the ground and thats with out binding any where. I don't remember the lenght of my links but I'll get back to you tomorrow with some measurements.

We have found that it's much easier to mount the top link on the passenger side instead of over the diff on the drivers side. I drive my '05 on the freeway at 70 mph's on 40" mtr's that are yet to be balanced with no vibration or weird handeling.
I've been looking for the measurements and placement locations myself.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Let's just say there's alot of variables as many found out with the allpro kit. We will have this 'promised kit', please just give us the time we need to get it right the first time :D (allthough the time is drawing near...) -Jeff

Oh and thanks for the references everyone! We're definately keeping very busy.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
FAUX X 4 said:
Wow...........I'm running 47" eye to eye lowers and my upper is 45" eye to eye! :eek:
Nice! Having nice log links is good. :cool: Having them that long could put them at greater risk of bending. What are you running for the lowers?

My upper is only ~28" long so even the 37" (eye to eye) links are alot longer that it. Short upper due to in being sleeved through the frame.

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
My lowers are 2" .375 wall DOM with a piece of .250 wall Chromoly jammed inside them........upper is just 2" .375 wall DOM. I'm going to add a strip of 1/4" x 1 x1 angle on the bottoms to take the brunt of the blows they take and help them skid over stuff a bit easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts