TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide which would be the best way to go?

Donohoe spacer: 2.5" on top of strut (won't affect spring preload)
Daystar: 1.25" on top of strut, 1.25" coil spacer (some increased preload)
most other brands: 2.5-3" coil spacer (greatly increased preload

This will be combined with stock TRD struts.

Will most likely add Daystar (or other) 1.25" lift shackles, with stock rear TRD shocks. For now.

Opinions, comments, insults?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
anestech* said:
Trying to decide which would be the best way to go?

Donohoe spacer: 2.5" on top of strut (won't affect spring preload)
Daystar: 1.25" on top of strut, 1.25" coil spacer (some increased preload)
most other brands: 2.5-3" coil spacer (greatly increased preload

This will be combined with stock TRD struts.

Will most likely add Daystar (or other) 1.25" lift shackles, with stock rear TRD shocks. For now.

Opinions, comments, insults?
2.5" topload spacer?? that's nuts (no offense, Kreg). That is just asking to hyperextend your inner CV tripods right our their casings.

W/o going with some custom made longer CV axles, upper and lower control arms, the Taco can only tollerate just so much topload. I have managed to pop a tripod out with only OME shocks which are just under 1/2" longer than OE. Adding 1.25" thick topload spacers would be nuts w/o limit straps. Revtec uses a 1/2" thick topload spacer and a 1" thick preload for their 3" kit as do other companies. I wouldn't go any more than that.

spacer lifts are the cheap way to go but you get what you pay for. Ride/handling will be rough compared to stock and much worse than going with an adjustable coilover system.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hytenor said:
2.5" topload spacer?? that's nuts (no offense, Kreg). That is just asking to hyperextend your inner CV tripods right our their casings.

W/o going with some custom made longer CV axles, upper and lower control arms, the Taco can only tollerate just so much topload. I have managed to pop a tripod out with only OME shocks which are just under 1/2" longer than OE. Adding 1.25" thick topload spacers would be nuts w/o limit straps. Revtec uses a 1/2" thick topload spacer and a 1" thick preload for their 3" kit as do other companies. I wouldn't go any more than that.

spacer lifts are the cheap way to go but you get what you pay for. Ride/handling will not be rough compared to stock and much worse than going with an adjustable coilover system.
Here is what Dohahoe sells: http://www.donahoeracing.com/prod_release_det.php?prID=21

This is what the daystars look like:

And here is the revteck:

http://www.revtek.com/product_sel.asp?makeid=4&modelid=7

So you are saying that with the Donahoe setup, I am looking to over droop the suspension, and rip the CV apart? I wonder why such a reputable company such as Donahoe Racing would sell such a products?????? :confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote from Donahoe's site:
"The new Donahoe Racing Tacoma Spacer Leveling Kit is a very cost effective way of leveling out a Tacoma / 4-Runner truck without dropping the shock to incorrect or dangerous heights.The kit integrates correct shock position for maximum wheel travel and spring load, and will not over-extend ball joints. Both lift and additional droop travel are built into one unit, which completely replaces the stock upper shock mount. The spacers are made from billet aluminum for corrosion resistance and are black-anodized for a sleek appearance. Upper mount studs are pre-installed for easy installation. "

If you read the details you will see that their spacer "replaces" the top spring plate and combines preload and top-load spacer into one.

Also, I have heard that the stock shock is 1.75 shorter than OME, Billy's, and other aftermarket shocks. So technically a 2" out of the pack spacer would work as long as you used the stock shocks. Using anything more than 0.5" topout spacer on a aftermarket shock is looking for trouble. IE - balljoints over-extending and tapping the coils and cv's over-extending and pulling apart also. Limit straps would be needed.....

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
synovus said:
LOL Yep. Check's in the mail, right? :D
yea, it's crossing paths with Dick's check for my SAS ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
synovus said:
I'm hoping the two get mixed up, and I get Dick's check. :D
but that check is only good for SAS parts and you don't believe in him anymore...so, won't do you any good.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
hytenor said:
but that check is only good for SAS parts and you don't believe in him anymore...so, won't do you any good.
Blasphemer!! Don't believe in him?!?!?! I'm the one that saved his Christmas card, and other assorted memorabilia. I suffered tremendous grief with his passing! How dare you! Take it back!

:D

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
synovus said:
Blasphemer!! Don't believe in him?!?!?! I'm the one that saved his Christmas card, and other assorted memorabilia. I suffered tremendous grief with his passing! How dare you! Take it back!

:D
you said he was dead, what's the difference?

what does this have to do with anything? LOL

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
hytenor said:
you said he was dead, what's the difference? what does this have to do with anything? LOL
He is dead. But his legacy lives on in the SAS'd rigs. What this has to do with anything is.... ummm... uhhh... ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts