TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think would be the optimum wheel size for Super Swamper TSL Radials, 36 x 12.50 x 15 ?

They recommend a 8"-10" rim

I'll be running them on my build up that has a '83 rear axle and '85 front.

These tires seem to have a pretty narrow tread (9" I believe) so I was'nt sure how a 15x10" rim would work with it. Also not sure how the 15x10" would fit on my truck. ('84 frame w/ '86 body)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Personally I like how a 12.5" tire looks on an 8" rim... I think way too many people buy rims that are too wide.

I just bought a set of 36x13.5 that I put on 10" wide rims that look fine though, so I guess it really depends on the tire and your personal preference. The main reason I went 10" wide though was that I'm putting a bracket lift on my truck and wanted to be sure I kept the backspacing correct. Otherwise I probably would have went with 8"' 'ers...

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
8" as it will hold the bead better and will give a better contact pressure over the 10"

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
another vote for 8's

just be sure they are offset enough to keep the tires out of the leaf springs

·
Registered
118 Posts
8" rims are the way to go.

These may not be the best pics to show what the tires/rims look like, but here is a friend's '84 truck anyway with 36" radials and 8" rims:

And my 36x12.50 bias ply TSLs on 8" rims:

·
Registered
241 Posts
fullauto4u said:
Thanks for all the info and pics. 8's it is!
Are those pics of our trucks from last years Jambo Jason ?

36x12.50 TSLs are "specified" by Interco to be mounted on an 8" rim.
It's printed on the sidewall.

I choose the 8" rims over the 10" because the narrower rim acts like a poor man's beadlock. Didn't notice the writing on the sidewall until a few years later.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Another vote for 8's! I'm running 36x13.5x15 radial IROKs on a 8" rim and they work just fine. It gives a pretty good sidewall bulge but I doubt I'll ever blow a bead at low pressures. Here's a pic...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
fourwd1 said:
36x12.50 TSLs are "specified" by Interco to be mounted on an 8" rim.
It's printed on the sidewall.

I choose the 8" rims over the 10" because the narrower rim acts like a poor man's beadlock. Didn't notice the writing on the sidewall until a few years later.
Actually the TSL Radials I just got say 8-11.5 for rim size on the sidewall. Its weird because I had a set of these 36 x 12.50 x 15 radials about 8 years ago and I'm pretty sure they said 8" on the sidewall.

Interco's website says 10" rim

National tire says to use 8"-10" rim

Lots of conflicting info out there for someone trying to get the right wheel / tire combo.

I always figured 12.50 wide tire, go 8" rim 14.50 wide tire go with 10" rim

·
Registered
241 Posts
fullauto4u said:
Actually the TSL Radials I just got say 8-11.5 for rim size on the sidewall. Its weird because I had a set of these 36 x 12.50 x 15 radials about 8 years ago and I'm pretty sure they said 8" on the sidewall.

Interco's website says 10" rim

National tire says to use 8"-10" rim

Lots of conflicting info out there for someone trying to get the right wheel / tire combo.

I always figured 12.50 wide tire, go 8" rim 14.50 wide tire go with 10" rim

Mine say 8" rim, double checked to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. It's in real small writing under the tire size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts