TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering leaving my 06 Taco stock. Thinking of building up an 80's pickup for a weekend wheeler. I'm in Cali, it has to pass smog. Other than that, what years/options should I look for in a good wheeling Toyota pickup? Short wheel base would be a plus, but I wouldn't mind an extended cab. Thoughts....?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I love my 85. It has gotten me to places I never thought I would go. Any pickup from 79-95 IMO is great the 4runners are good too! Just have to worry about the weight from the top and the rear glass is very expensive to replace!

Link to info on my trail rig. 1985 Toy Pickup, 22ret, R151F, Dual cases, locked f/r, etc. I absolutely LOVE my 115" wheelbase, it does great.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Moved to Noobie tech, it has been covered.

IMO, look for an 85 truck or 4runner, since it has EFI and a solid axle.

Or go with 81-84; great motor and lotsa cheap easy mods.

Bottom line is, search, read, look at pics; and buy what YOU like. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
what your budget is will determine what you can get.....

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Just about anything can be made work ... how short a wheelbase are you looking for? About 103 is what you'll get in an earlier standard cab or 4Runner.

If you gotta have a solid front axle, 85 and earlier.

If you gotta have fuel injection, 85 and later.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I'll go easy on ya this time ;)...

That all depends on what type of wheelin' you'll be doing...

RockKrawler = 1985 w/solid axle and 22re

HighSpeed = Tacoma w/LT kit... and more

Mudder = who cares... I hate mud... LOL

Please use the Newbie Folder for questions like this... You won't get harrassed in that folder...

·
Registered
597 Posts
man there is a guy lives near me that has an 85 i believe toyota pickup extra cab solid axle sittin in the field for about 4 years with a flat tire and it has about 35"s or so on it, everydya i drive by it and think bout what a good truck that would be to wheel with, with a little TLC of course

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, 85's have solid axle and fuel injection...sound like a good combo..

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
despite the fact you posted in the wrong place(whick i dont give a fawk about...sorry dell:D) you are very wise...
if i could do it again i would have kept my taco stock.
built an older taquito2wd for the desert
built a suzuki sammi for krawlin:D

Mike

·
Registered
808 Posts
TacoCambo said:
Yup, that's the golden egg.

If your chubby like me, look for an extra cab or runner. The mini's don't have that much room inside.

Edit: make sure you get the efi models, I think it's the sr5. They still had carb models they made that year as well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
TacoCambo said:
that's pretty much what any forum member would give a kidney for. not sure about the mainland, but in hawaii, it is almost impossible to find.... they're around, but all the good ones are tucked away behind garage doors, driven by old men who look like mr. miyagi on the karate kid, taken out only on the weekends to go to home depot and the post office.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
miguelitro said:
despite the fact you posted in the wrong place(whick i dont give a fawk about...sorry dell:D) you are very wise...
if i could do it again i would have kept my taco stock.
built an older taquito2wd for the desert
built a suzuki sammi for krawlin:D

Mike
Yea, I've owned 2 jeeps before my Taco. I would build it up for wheelin, then it would turn into a crappy daily driver. Then sell it and start over. This time I'm thinking older Yota, take my time, build it up. My 06 is such a sweet daily driver that I don't want to F-it up. No offense to those with built late model Tacos. I just don't want to destroy my $30k truck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ainokea said:
that's pretty much what any forum member would give a kidney for. not sure about the mainland, but in hawaii, it is almost impossible to find.... they're around, but all the good ones are tucked away behind garage doors, driven by old men who look like mr. miyagi on the karate kid, taken out only on the weekends to go to home depot and the post office.
I live in the foothills of Cali, west of Lake Tahoe. There are alot of older Toyota trucks on the road around here. I'm going to start searching the classifieds, 85 truck or 85 4runner!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts