TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I do any better mileage wise switching my stock BFG AT KOs for BFG Rugged trail T/A or BFG Radial long trail T/A? If so what would you guesstimate?

Oh yeah and which one of the three is best on snow and ice? Live in Ohio and its time for some new shoes (these have 50K).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If you stay with the same size tires it wont that much of a difference (not noticable) in your mpg. If I were you i would stay with the AT's they will work the best.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Would I do any better mileage wise switching my stock BFG AT KOs for BFG Rugged trail T/A or BFG Radial long trail T/A? If so what would you guesstimate?

Oh yeah and which one of the three is best on snow and ice? Live in Ohio and its time for some new shoes (these have 50K).
any quality 'street' tire will give you noticablly better mileage, even in the same relative size. They can usually be aired up to higher psi then the average AT or MT and have a lot less rolling resistance. but...all brands are not the same to do some homework before you buy.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
any quality 'street' tire will give you noticablly better mileage, even in the same relative size. They can usually be aired up to higher psi then the average AT or MT and have a lot less rolling resistance. but...all brands are not the same to do some homework before you buy.
I stand corrected thanx Hytenor.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I stand corrected thanx Hytenor.
well, substantial is a relative term here ;) There are so many varriables in tire size, brand, psi, weight in truck, etc, etc, to consider it's all a crap-shoot, LOL

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
well, substantial is a relative term here ;) There are so many varriables in tire size, brand, psi, weight in truck, etc, etc, to consider it's all a crap-shoot, LOL
So keep it simple and tire related:

Less aggressive thread pattern = better mileage
Smaller tire (weight) = better mileage
Higher air pressure = better mileage

Dont forget that when you change tire size from stock, your speedo will no longer be very accurate, so MPG estimates from before a tire change and after will have to be corrected.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I love my truck, but mileage is marginal at best. I can get about 18mpg and if I drive like an old lady its about 19. I liked my BFG AT KO's but was wondering if the slightly cheaper BFG Radial terrain would give better MPG's. I just see gas prices going to like 3.25 this summer (or 5-6 if the hurricanes demolish the gulf again)

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Well I love my truck, but mileage is marginal at best. I can get about 18mpg and if I drive like an old lady its about 19. I liked my BFG AT KO's but was wondering if the slightly cheaper BFG Radial terrain would give better MPG's. I just see gas prices going to like 3.25 this summer (or 5-6 if the hurricanes demolish the gulf again)
4 or 6? you won't do much better than that with a 6. my best mileage was when stock with OE tires, 26 hwy.

I'm down to just over 13 with my 2.7 after the swap :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Just to add, my uneducated guess is that tires of the same brand, size and tread pattern may also offer different mileage patterns if one is of a higher load range than another. The higher rated tire is probably heavier than the lighter rated tire, so mileage may differ slightly even though they're the same brand, size and tread pattern. But like Hytenor said, there are alot of other factors involved as well - brand of gas, engine tune-up, synth vs. dyno fluids, tire psi, ambient air temps, elevation, driving style, etc.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

Your stock tires should be the rugged trails, not the AT KO. Go to tirerack.com and compare tire weights. A lighter tire will be easier on fuel, but you will probably only notice a small gain, since if they are really the stock tires they are pretty light to begin with.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its a 6 cyl. Thanks for the replies, I think I will stay with the OEM BFGs. That way I can get away with buying 3 and switching the spare with one of the used tires. They have 50K on them and the tread depth is probably good for another 10-20K of summer driving but they are not working as well in the snow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts