TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious if anyone has actually noticed better mileage on both freeway and surface roads, when your tailgate is down or you're using a bed extender?

thank you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
no.watch mythbusters much? guess not...

edit: mira lo

Tailgate Up vs. Tailgate Down
This was revisited in More Myths Revisited.

Myth statement Status Notes
It is more fuel efficient to drive a pick-up truck with its tailgate down, rather than up. Busted Driving with the tailgate down actually increased drag on the pick-up and caused it to consume fuel faster than the identical truck driven with the tailgate up. It was later revealed that the closed tailgate creates a locked vortex flow that created a smoother flow of air over the truck. With the tailgate down, the trapped vortex was dissipated and the drag increased.

·
Registered
779 Posts
NP, I do believe that the results were different with the tailgate OFF and a bully net in place.. I think that is where they got the best gas mileage..

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
i would delete this post or move it to the nooooooooooooob section really soon or dick will tear your shit up.

fuck it....just delete it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yea, the net works best because it creates the vortex but, also lets some air out the back of the bed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
tailgate up is the best as far as my personal experiences go . Tailgate nets look cool and all , but belive you me , dont take off your gate ! I did and got a net and regretted it . I threw the net away after 4 weeks! YOur tailgate is fine in the upright position , but hey the MPG differences arent really that much.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
no.watch mythbusters much? guess not...

edit: mira lo

Tailgate Up vs. Tailgate Down
This was revisited in More Myths Revisited.

Myth statement Status Notes
It is more fuel efficient to drive a pick-up truck with its tailgate down, rather than up. Busted Driving with the tailgate down actually increased drag on the pick-up and caused it to consume fuel faster than the identical truck driven with the tailgate up. It was later revealed that the closed tailgate creates a locked vortex flow that created a smoother flow of air over the truck. With the tailgate down, the trapped vortex was dissipated and the drag increased.
Damn I had no idea...
Your a forkin genius..:D
Leave the taigate up...It looks better, and isnt that is what important after-all?

·
Registered
23 Posts
ive noticed i have gotten better mileage since i installed my tonneau cover. i can just about get 350 to the tank. of course thats pushing it. on average its about 330.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
i can just about get 350 to the tank. of course thats pushing it. on average its about 330.
:eek: Is that kilometers? I'm on fumes to make 200 miles on a tank (although my tank is a little smaller)

·
Registered
329 Posts
:eek: Is that kilometers? I'm on fumes to make 200 miles on a tank (although my tank is a little smaller)
i think we need to specify trucks here...i have a 07 taco with 2.7L and 21 gal tank and i get 360 miles before the empty light comes on, 420 miles to empty.

-Tim

·
Registered
483 Posts
05 tacoma 4.0 21 gal tank w/tonneau and slightly larger than stock tires (load E) :( Gas light goes on at about 310-315miles or so. not so bad eh?

·
Registered
779 Posts
96 tacoma 3.4, 5 speed, on 37's 270 MAX per tank

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
96 tacoma 3.4, 5 speed, on 37's 270 MAX per tank
HOW???!!! i get like 220 every time. 220 on the spot.

i don't even need a gas gauge. i know when the light is going to turn on. and then i have like 20 miles to get more petrol in the tank.

i have a 3.4 5spd and i only have 33's but, it is sc'd

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Get a camper shell and be done with it.. Then you'll actually see a differance.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well I've been wondering if I get better gas mileage with my head stuck out the window normally......or if it gets better with my sunglasses on.....

JUST so you know.....it is a truck.....we get the best gas mileage out of just about any trucks on the market....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts