TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upsizing my tires soon to a 265/75-16. I have been looking at two different tires the BFG A/T and the Yokohama Geolandar A/T. I don't do a lot of offroad but if I do I want one that will perform well. Which do you guys prefer? I want a tire that will last a while also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
EDM said:
I am going to upsizing my tires soon to a 265/75-16. I have been looking at two different tires the BFG A/T and the Yokohama Geolandar A/T. I don't do a lot of offroad but if I do I want one that will perform well. Which do you guys prefer? I want a tire that will last a while also.

I am like the yokos the A/Ts and the M/Ts personalty but thats only cause I get them for 65 a tire. So that makes them great! I have had two sets of A/Ts not on a taco but a s10 truck and one set of the M/Ts, the M/T or not great on the road. :xbeer3:

·
Registered
67 Posts
EDM said:
I'm on my second set of BFG AT's. I've never owned the Geolanders, but for me (daily driver) I couldn't be happier with the performance of the Goodrich's.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KSdblcab said:
Unless you absolutely have to have only one of the two mentioned brands, check out Bridgestone's REVO's. A good tire, cheaper than BFG, and will last longer. Compare at www.tirerack.com , and check out the specs.
Yeah I checked the prices on both tires and the BFG's are about $200.00 more for the set.

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's odd. I just rechecked in the size the first post is looking for, and the Revo's are $10 cheaper per tire. Still the difference is only $40 either way.

Also, my vote is for the BFG AT's. Good all around performance, good in snow, decent street manners, and good for general off road stuff. I had one set last over 70,000 miles, on a fullsize Chevy.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
EDM said:
I am going to upsizing my tires soon to a 265/75-16. I have been looking at two different tires the BFG A/T and the Yokohama Geolandar A/T. I don't do a lot of offroad but if I do I want one that will perform well. Which do you guys prefer? I want a tire that will last a while also.[/QUOTE

i like the bfg a/t.on my driver.they hanldle pretty good.

·
Registered
793 Posts
EDM said:
I ran the BFGs a few yrs back when I lived in Maine and was very happy with their performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Revos

I just got the Revos (about 3500 miles ago). They are the bomb. A lot of people here havew the BFGs... but the latest and greatest are the Revos. Do a tire comparison search on the net and theyu blow everything away... (when you are talking all-purpose tire). The tread is super thick too.... I paid a few bucks more and got the ones with more plys. I love them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
KawRider said:
I just got the Revos (about 3500 miles ago). They are the bomb. A lot of people here havew the BFGs... but the latest and greatest are the Revos. Do a tire comparison search on the net and theyu blow everything away... (when you are talking all-purpose tire). The tread is super thick too.... I paid a few bucks more and got the ones with more plys. I love them.
I will look into those too. I see they got great reveiws for people on tire rack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Revo Tires

The tires I got are these:

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
P275/70R16 114S
They are $132 each at tire rack. I also got a new set of 16 x 8 wheels when I got my new tires. These tires are aprox 1 inch taller and 1 inch wider than stock. They fit my stock Tacoma no problem. I also got new Bilstein HD shocks... they dramatically improve the handling on the Taco. Every once in a while you (lightly) hear the tire touch the mud flap. It happens only when doing an agressive, sharp turn while hitting a big bump... happens about once every 2 weeks. The wheels I got are the MB Motoring Overdrive (100 bucks each) from Americas tire Co.

http://www.americastire.com/dtc/searchWheelsByVehicleAndSize.do?rc=LAHINT&yr=2002&wd=16&sw=false&rw=&vid=007370&bp=

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&vehicleSearch=true&width=275/&ratio=70&diameter=16&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&performance=ORAT&manufacturer=Bridgestone&speed_rating=SR&speed_rating=TR&speed_rating=UR&speed_rating=HR&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&speed_rating=ZR&x=14&y=7

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KawRider said:
The tires I got are these:

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
P275/70R16 114S
They are $132 each at tire rack. I also got a new set of 16 x 8 wheels when I got my new tires. These tires are aprox 1 inch taller and 1 inch wider than stock. They fit my stock Tacoma no problem. I also got new Bilstein HD shocks... they dramatically improve the handling on the Taco. Every once in a while you (lightly) hear the tire touch the mud flap. It happens only when doing an agressive, sharp turn while hitting a big bump... happens about once every 2 weeks. The wheels I got are the MB Motoring Overdrive (100 bucks each) from Americas tire Co.

http://www.americastire.com/dtc/searchWheelsByVehicleAndSize.do?rc=LAHINT&yr=2002&wd=16&sw=false&rw=&vid=007370&bp=

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&vehicleSearch=true&width=275/&ratio=70&diameter=16&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&performance=ORAT&manufacturer=Bridgestone&speed_rating=SR&speed_rating=TR&speed_rating=UR&speed_rating=HR&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&speed_rating=ZR&x=14&y=7

I probably wouldn't run into any rubbing problems since I am lifted 2" in the front and 1" in the rear. I am running the same size wheels as you but in the MT classic II. I am going to go with the 265/75-16. But first I need to have my alignment checked before I buy new tires.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
EDM said:
I had the BFG's on my truck before the Goodyears, and my dad has 265/75 geolanders on his tundra. The geolangers tend to last longer on the mountain roads, but have more road nose. AT's are more quite, but don't take abuse as well as the geolanders. If you can stand a little humming, go with the Geolanders.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
atwinda said:
I had the BFG's on my truck before the Goodyears, and my dad has 265/75 geolanders on his tundra. The geolangers tend to last longer on the mountain roads, but have more road nose. AT's are more quite, but don't take abuse as well as the geolanders. If you can stand a little humming, go with the Geolanders.

What are you running now?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Revos

EDM said:
I'd vote for the write-in-candidate Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos for a couple of reasons. First, I've had a set of 31" Revos for ~40,000 miles and absolutely love them - when they wear out (won't be for a long time) I will get another set. Second, while I haven't owned the BFGs (which are great tires also IMHO), I have ridden in trucks with them and heard many opinions - the majority of which says that the Revos have a superior on road ride quality. I have done some decent trails like Poison Spider in Moab and others in Colorado and Texas and have NEVER been unable to keep up with BFG AT or random MT equipped trucks.

The only times I have felt the limits of the Revo tires offroad is in deeper mud or on icy hills (that nobody else could get up either). They stick like glue to rock (They LOVED the Moab Slickrock), and are fantasically capable in your normal dirt/whatever offroad conditions. I was also amazed at how well they handled trails covered in ice. I was able to get myself into dumb almost carnage-inducing scenarios because the tires helped me get further up an icy hill than I should have been :p

Also, the Revos have a 30 day trial - so return them if they're not good enough for you. They also have a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty. The BFGs offer neither unfortunately. All said, I am no fanboy, and these are both fantastic tire choices (I'd guess the Yokos are good too, but I have no experience with them). Frankly, if the BFG's are rated at 100% offroad the Revos would be a 95% in my opinion. But, on road, the Revos seem to rule. Either way, you will be set nicely.

In case you didn't see this - check it out. This many people can't be full of crap :rolleyes:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT
I bought the revos the month they came out, and have watched the ratings stay that high since they were listed on the site with only around 2,000 user miles. A buddy of mine bought a set at the same time in the 265/75-16 size for his lifted 4runner and still loves them also.

Let us know what you decide...goodluck!

Jon O.
CoTTORA in TX
http://community.webshots.com/user/jonnyozero3
1999 Black Xtracab SR5 TRD V6 5spd
OME, Sliders, Scratches

·
Registered
565 Posts
Go with the BFG's
I always get 50,000-60,000 miles on mine.
They work great offroad, and are quite onroad.
And it is hard to beat the tri-guard sidewalls...most other tires are 2-ply.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
24 Participants
BLT2RCKTRD
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing