TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently upgraded to BFG All-Terrain TK/O, 265/75/16. Love the look, no noise on the road, does great on the trails and no rubbing at all!! but i lost almost 2 miles per gallon. I know 2 miles aint much but is this normal? i came up from 265/70/16 crappy street tires.

·
Registered
358 Posts
BigIslandBoi said:
i recently upgraded to BFG All-Terrain TK/O, 265/75/16. Love the look, no noise on the road, does great on the trails and no rubbing at all!! but i lost almost 2 miles per gallon. I know 2 miles aint much but is this normal? i came up from 265/70/16 crappy street tires.
Are you compensating for the larger tire diameter when you calculate mileage? If not, you'll "gain" some of it back when you take that into account.

But your gas mileage will probably be a little lower regardless.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
BFG's are a little more aggressive than other AT tires. However, the best way to know would be to know the exact weight of the new tire and compare it to the weight of the old tires.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I experienced the same thing. Moved from 31x10.5x15 on 15x7 alloy to 32x11.5x15 on 15x8 steelies. Lost roughly 2 miles to the gallon according to the trip-o-meter on the truck.

But, the tire is heavier, wider, and the wheels are heavier also.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Comparing apples and oranges here......the tires you took off are shorter AND(I am assuming) worn out making them even shorter. The tires you put on are taller.
This has thrown off your Odo and Speedo....the shorter tire will show more miles on the Odo than the taller ones. Try to calculate the difference between the tires and then re-calculate your mileage. You should not lose that much mileage by switching those tires.

Hope that is not too confusing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Actually....the older tires weren't that old, and still have about 1/2 life on them. I run the 31's most of the time, and switch out to the 32's for trails.

Interesting though.....when running the 32's my speedo is more accurate to MPH than the 31's.

·
Registered
925 Posts
da'Burd said:
Interesting though.....when running the 32's my speedo is more accurate to MPH than the 31's.
i've experienced the exact same thing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
da'Burd said:
I experienced the same thing. Moved from 31x10.5x15 on 15x7 alloy to 32x11.5x15 on 15x8 steelies. Lost roughly 2 miles to the gallon according to the trip-o-meter on the truck.

But, the tire is heavier, wider, and the wheels are heavier also.
there u go!

I run BFG's AT 32X11.50 as well. The difference is that I have 15X8 alloys. This has been covered many times before, but some might argue that alloys keep the overall weight down since they are lighter than steelies.

I bought alloys instead of steelies for that same reason. Trully, is not that big of a deal, but in the long run, you save some dollars i guess.

·
Registered
444 Posts
BigIslandBoi said:
X2 when i went up to 265/75 mt's.

you west side, or east side?

·
Registered
299 Posts
:eek: i experienced the same thing to nooooooo wayyyyyyyy!!!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
tacundra said:
Comparing apples and oranges here......the tires you took off are shorter AND(I am assuming) worn out making them even shorter. The tires you put on are taller.
This has thrown off your Odo and Speedo....the shorter tire will show more miles on the Odo than the taller ones. Try to calculate the difference between the tires and then re-calculate your mileage. You should not lose that much mileage by switching those tires.

Hope that is not too confusing.
Or if you dont want to do the math....maybe calculate it using a GPS unit as your trip meter.

·
Registered
266 Posts
OEM tires are chosen because they are cheap and roll easy for max MPGs. I lost about 2mpg when I got a set of REVOs, so I asked my tire guy. He told me that you can have good gas mileage or good tires. Odometer correction can play a part, but my first REVOs were within 1/4" od as the stock BFGs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I put 275/70/16's on my 2000 4 runner a few years ago from 265's and lost about 1 mpg from the larger size. However when I replaced the sucky 245/75/16's on my 2005 4 cyl with michelin ltx's in 265/70/16 (same height, but wider) my mileage actually went up 1 mpg. But these are a pretty tame highway tire. I wanted to get BFG a/t's like I have on my cruiser, but they only had them available in 10 ply in the 265's and 245's. Considering this truck doesn't go off road hardly at all, the michelins work out great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Traction means resistance.....hence why good traction tires give poorer fuel mileage, run hotter, wear faster, etc etc etc...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ainokea said:
south, as in deep south? na'alehu kine south?

deep water, big fish, good sweet bread...
Pahala side, I actually stay in AZ right now. but yup the sweet bread is mean!! Guava and Taro flavor. Sweetbread ice cream sandwich!!! cheeee. What part u from?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Load Rating

Its all about the load rating. The stock tires have less plys (less weight) than the bfg's which are d or e rating.
Simple..

·
Registered
444 Posts
BigIslandBoi said:
Pahala side, I actually stay in AZ right now. but yup the sweet bread is mean!! Guava and Taro flavor. Sweetbread ice cream sandwich!!! cheeee. What part u from?
near the bakery where stone cookies come from, if you know what i mean...

good with peanut butter, good with hot chocolate, best with choke butter on top blasted in the microwave.

arizona huh? sounds hot... and dry... we are just comming off of a long-ass rain spell - today is nice though, small kine variables/kona winds...

do the people up there understand you? cuz brah, by the way you write, your pidgin must sound pretty thick.

k, den... aloha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts