TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
tbrown said:
What would you guys go with? I like the BFG's but I've read good things about the revo's plus they're cheaper! Any thoughts?
There's a lot of good info in this post here;

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654

I'm on my second set of AT KO's. My first set lasted me over 90k miles before one of them could not be balanced and I ended up replacing them.

The Revo's look to be and from owner's opinions seem to be the better choice for the street. Some claim better off road too, but I have a hard time believing that looking at the tread and the shoulders as compared to the AT KO's. (see pics) The AT Ko's do not clean well in the mud unless you spin them up fast, I can't imagie the Revo's are any better looking at the tread. The AT KO's have a larger void area in the tread than the Revo's do.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I just bought a set of Revos. I've had them on for about two weeks and 1,000 miles. So far, the only difference I have noticed between them at AT's is they are quieter on the road. Otherwise, they are comparable IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was looking at both and ended up going with the BFG. The Revo's didn't look aggresive enough for me.Yeah the BFG are a little more money and a little louder but they have been around longer. I like the idea of the BFG being a D load range. The truck seems to handle a lot better then it did with my stock rugged trails. It is going to rain here in a few days so I will let you guys know how they perform in the wet.

·
Banned
262 Posts
They are both basically street tires IMO. I just replaced the mtr's on my 4runner with the bridgestones. They are very nice so far in the wet and in the dry.
I got a smokin deal on them too.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
i loved my BFG AT's as well...even with 1/8" tread left at the end they still got great traction off road...i would have gotten another set of them, but i went with mud terrains for the winter

·
Registered
12 Posts
I currently have BFG AT's 267/75/16 I have about 70k miles on them and can probably get 5k more. I was looking at getting the Revos next for two reasons: price and I heard the Revos will ride a little less harsh, But the BFG's have been great on/off road. Just do the research and shop around for the best price.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
tbrown said:
What would you guys go with? I like the BFG's but I've read good things about the revo's plus they're cheaper! Any thoughts?
I've had my Revo's for several months now, and I absolutely love 'em. They're quiet and ride great, and excel in wet conditions. I've had the opportunity to take them off-road a handful of times, primarily milder rock crawling (32's on 2" of lift, so nothing too extreme), and they performed well beyond my expectations. Whereas some guys were spinning their way up rocks, sliding and such, the Revo's maintained traction and only slipped/spun when I wanted 'em to. :) In regard to their performance in mud, one park I went to had a mud pit. A couple rigs with mud terrains went thru, each with a considerable amount of difficulty, while the guy on Revo's had no problems whatsoever. Now, that's not to say they will always perform so well in muddy conditions, but I was definitely impressed with their performance that day.

In regard to the BFG's, they're a well-proven tire in their own right, and are obviously very popular as well. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either the Revo's or the BFG's. It really just comes down to what you prefer. Either way, I doubt you'd be disappointed. Oh, and the Revo's are available in either a C or D load rating too, if that matters to you.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've had both tires and both are great. Having said that, my vote is for the REVO. I'm on my first set at about 22K and the tread still looks like new (I do keep the spare in the rotation though). They handle better in winter driving condions, wet roads, and are noticably quieter. I've not had any problems with traction off road, but I don't think the BFG would have either. The only complaints I have with the REVO are it's conservative looks compare to the BFG, and it is a considerably heavier tire given the same size. If you want to save a few tenths of cents on gas, or spin them up a little faster the BFG might be a better choice.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Breathegood said:
I've had both tires and both are great. Having said that, my vote is for the REVO. I'm on my first set at about 22K and the tread still looks like new (I do keep the spare in the rotation though). They handle better in winter driving condions, wet roads, and are noticably quieter. I've not had any problems with traction off road, but I don't think the BFG would have either. The only complaints I have with the REVO are it's conservative looks compare to the BFG, and it is a considerably heavier tire given the same size. If you want to save a few tenths of cents on gas, or spin them up a little faster the BFG might be a better choice.

How do you know they are heavier? I would have assumed that since the BFG's were a D load range and you can get the Revo's in a C load range they would be lighter. Did you get an E range or something?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have had both on my Tacoma and on a Tahoe. The bfg seems to do slightly better offroad, but they aren't that much better. The revo also seems to shed mud a little better than the bfg. In my opinion the on-road handling, wear and quietness of the revo make it the better tire. Unless your your going for looks and then the bfg is a much more aggressive looking tire.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
wasn't there a thread on the Revos on the old board talking about their great snow traction?

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I was shopping for tires, I found that little tidbit. I think it was at tirerack.com, but am not sure. When I bought mine, I think I had to get the D load rating.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was facing the same tire choice dilemma....& I went with the BFG's. They are so close in every category. I chose the BGF's because of their proven track record & the fact that they look way tougher on the truck. Mine are a size 275/70/16 on stock wheels & they fill the wheel wells out perfectly. The Revos look a little more street oriented to me.

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
I just recently put on the revos and went through the same issues. Had BFGs on there and decided to look around. I love my revos. Quiet on the road and handle great. No offroad experience yet. Only had them about a week.

I went with the revos because I could get them in load range C in 265/75/16. The BFGs only come in load range D in that size. C is more appropriate for our light rigs. Ds are harder to balance and can be more out of round in my experience.

Jody.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have had both and I believe that they both have their advantages. I think the revo has better highway characteristic, and the BFG is slightly better off road. But all-terrains aren't really an off-road tire. So I would say save the money and buy the revos.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts