TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
As far as tread wear goes I know that the BFGs are a bit better than the MTRs. When it comes to rain, no mud tire is going to perform totally well, you gain the traction off-road but you loose the streetability a bit. I have had two sets of BFG muds on two different trucks and they did alright in the rain, nothing I was not able to handle.

Bump for the rain question!!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'm pro MT/R's for sure. I have a set of 33x12.5 mt/r's right now that i've put about 8k on and am incredibly pleased. I can't tell any wear so far and have been very impressed with their performance on and off road. They aren't annoyingly loud on the highway, they seem to have good sidewall strength when aired to normal psi, wet traction is good as anyother mud tire, and 6" of snow a while back didn't phase them at all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have ran BFG MT's for over 7 years now on 3 of my own vehicles and my step-dad has them on his hunting vehicle. I have never had any problems out of them. The tread wear as long as you keep up with the rotating and air pressure is great, but that comes with just about any tire. I know I went for 3 years with the same tires on my old truck before selling it( probably just under half tread left ). I would never run anything else other then at BFG MT or AT.

The rain factor , as stated before , is hard to deal with sometimes. There isn't as much tread on the ground to help hug the road. Basically, slow down when it's raining - especially in turns. Now, if you were to go with an AT then you would have more tractions then the MTs, but I'd say go MT anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
IMO the MTR's are better if your into rockcrawling and the BFG's are a bit better in the mud. The BFG's wear a little better as well. I have MTR's but all the wheeling in AZ is rocks. The MTR's have a LOT better sidewall as well. You need that when your wheeling in sharp rocks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
BFG's. Mine had great wear, and there a hell of alot cheaper last I looked.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
i was planning on getting MT/R's when my old tires ran out, but California was supposed to be having a wet winter so i went with the BFG MT's. They havent let me down and have actually surprised me a few times.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
BFG's!

chopaholic said:
Would you go with BFG MT"s or Goodyear MT/R"s. which one is better in the rain and tread ware?

johnny
I had a set of 31x10.50 BFG M/T's, they had about 30k miles on em' when I got rid of the truck, and the had PLENTY of tread left. I've heard of ppl gettin upwards of 60k miles outta BFG M/T's, that is w/ regular rotations and balances. I'd get a BFG over a GOODYEAR any day. However, Mississippi ain't got many rocks, except for gravel drive ways, haha. Good luck, Wes

oh yeah, had a buddy in HS that got the MTR's when they 1st came out, they last about 30k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts