TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to know what would be best for a dd and mild to medium off road use taco . bfg mud or swamperssr or tsl radial. 32 or 33inch size. still havent totally settled on a size yet. what im mostly worried about is trad life on the road. if i buy tires and they wear out in 15 to 20k my wife will beat me! any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
yotoder said:
want to know what would be best for a dd and mild to medium off road use taco . bfg mud or swamperssr or tsl radial. 32 or 33inch size. still havent totally settled on a size yet. what im mostly worried about is trad life on the road. if i buy tires and they wear out in 15 to 20k my wife will beat me! any help would be great. thanks

I have heard that swampers are hard to balance and wear quickly, my BFG MT's (35") have 10k on them, are still balanced and look as good as new.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have 33x12.5 Swamper SSR's with about 20k on them. I would say that they have about 1/2-3/4 tread still on them. I love these tires and would recommend them over any for a mostly street truck. Have only had to balance twice, mostly just for my own piece of mind. But that's just my opinion...

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
tires

yotoder said:

if you're gonna get a swamper, go w/ a SSR, they wear tons better than the rest. if it's a dd, I'd go w/ the bfg's just b/c I've always run bfg's and know they last forever! peace, Wes

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
yotoder said:
I'd go with the Super swamper TRXs MT's, they are AWESOME! I love mine, they wear great, ride smoooooooth and really quiet, the grip like crazy offroad, and are just plain killer. Interco is making them to compete with BFG and Wranglers as far as tread life, and SPNK them for offroad prowess, I've owned BFG's and wheel with a bunch on MTR's and I go up stuff way better than my BFG's and easier that MTR guys.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Critt50 said:
I have 33x12.5 Swamper SSR's with about 20k on them. I would say that they have about 1/2-3/4 tread still on them. I love these tires and would recommend them over any for a mostly street truck. Have only had to balance twice, mostly just for my own piece of mind. But that's just my opinion...
Do you mean 1/2" - 3/4" or do you mean 50% - 75% tread on them?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
I'd go with the Super swamper TRXs MT's, they are AWESOME! I love mine, they wear great, ride smoooooooth and really quiet, the grip like crazy offroad, and are just plain killer. Interco is making them to compete with BFG and Wranglers as far as tread life, and SPNK them for offroad prowess, I've owned BFG's and wheel with a bunch on MTR's and I go up stuff way better than my BFG's and easier that MTR guys.
Kirk, What size TRXus do you have? I am positive that I can't fit 33s on without a lot of rub, but I wanted larger than 31s. Do they make a 32x11.5 or a 33x10.5? If so, I haven't seen them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i'm saving for a set of 31x10.50 SSRs. Ive read that several people have gotten 45k plus on tacomas. One as high as 65k. Word is you HAVE to maintain them maticulously! keep them aired, balanced and rotated. You also have to keep you truck aligned. otherwise you'll eat them up pretty fast. If your gonna neglect your maintance then stick with BFG mts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
50%-75% tread still on them

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have had both and the BFGs do last a long time, but the swamper is a truly unbeatable tire. They make the BFGs handle like all seasons offroad. The SSRs are more expensive, though. I would recommend the SSR, as they will likely last a while in a light truck. My friend has a bronco with 37" SSRs and they have about 50% tread at 25K miles. Not bad, and the truck is heavier.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thornbirds are really hard to balace because there a frikkin oddball shaped tire. I have them on my truck, there decent. when you get to about 35 mph the ride is smooth, above 20mph you cant have a conversation in my truck:D

98 XtraCab 2.7L 5 Speed
2.5 Cornfed Spacers
2 Inch Body Lift
33 x 12.50 Thornbirds

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes, Thornbirds, have you ever heard of them???

·
Registered
351 Posts
StemsCornfedTaco said:
Yes, Thornbirds, have you ever heard of them???
only bad things :p

·
Registered
670 Posts
Bad things like what?? I dont have n e problems with mine, they're great

1 - 20 of 20 Posts