TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT:

Got the tires mounted on. They are 285/75, a step up from my last set of 265/75 Duratracs. Stopping power has decreased some as well as a change in acceleration. The tires are very quiet on road. I have yet to be able to hear any road noise from these tires. They did a static balance on the tires and seem to ride very smooth. I will report more when I drive in rainy conditions, as well as off-road capability.

Here are some pics:

I did white letters out to go for the Back to the Future look. :)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have no personal experience with the Rugged Terrains T/As, so probably not what your looking for.

However, my 03 Taco did come with the BFG P265/70R16 Rugged Trail T/As, which I believe are the stock OEM tires for the TRD package, and I hated 'em. Because they never seemed to wear even, and thats with doing several alignments and rotations. They had almost zero traction in the snow or when the streets got wet, with 25% of the tread left.

When they wore out I went with the BFG All-Terrains. I had the BFG ATs on my first yota and loved 'em. I thought they were great in the snow, on wet streets, and did well off road too.

Long story short, if it were me I'd go with the BFG ATs if you want a good All Season-On/Off Road tire. But its your $ and your truck. :2cents:

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Rugged Trails are complete garbage but not sure on the Rugged Terrains. My guess is it's a new tread and name to abandon the stigma of the trails. Just a guess, though. With the trails I got so many flats it's not even funny. I'd go for an all terrain over those if you ever plan of going off road. Sidewall protection is one of the most important things I now look for in tires.

Why are you going away from the duratracs?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sidewall protection is one of the most important things I now look for in tires.

Why are you going away from the duratracs?
The 285/75 will have an E rated sidewall so I'm going to assume it will be actually thicker than my current C rated tires.

I'm going away from my Duratracs yes, but not because I don't like them. They were amazing off-road and never let me down. I just need a more sensible option, something a little more comfortable and quiet, with a little bit better on-road traction. As far as looks, I like the way these look. It's not a huge step down from a beefy tread, these BFGs don't look like your average Michelin on a Honda Odyssey.

Most folks are quick to compare them with the Rugged Trail, trust me I hated that tire too but I have a feeling these are what BFG developed due to all the hate towards that tire. Maybe they got it right this time?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The 285/75 will have an E rated sidewall so I'm going to assume it will be actually thicker than my current C rated tires.

I'm going away from my Duratracs yes, but not because I don't like them. They were amazing off-road and never let me down. I just need a more sensible option, something a little more comfortable and quiet, with a little bit better on-road traction. As far as looks, I like the way these look. It's not a huge step down from a beefy tread, these BFGs don't look like your average Michelin on a Honda Odyssey.

Most folks are quick to compare them with the Rugged Trail, trust me I hated that tire too but I have a feeling these are what BFG developed due to all the hate towards that tire. Maybe they got it right this time?
BFG's are super unsafe on wet streets. used nitto A/T's and Toyo A/T's and was super happy. is price an issue for you?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Heres my input.

I do not have any experience with the Rugged Terrain, but a buddy of mine was running the stock Rugged Trails on his 05 Tacoma and absolutely hated them for all the reasons stated earlier. His main concern is just how badly they sucked when the pavement got wet or if we had any snow (Colorado). He upgraded to the Hankook Dynapro ATM I believe is the name and has noticed a night and day difference. He didn't want something too aggressive and has no other parts to clear bigger tires. Just another tire to look at.

My parents have the Duratracs on their '10 4Runner and absolutely love them. 285 version with the E load rating, but it works as the truck is a heavy mother. I've had it in the snow also and no problems, and torrential rain (Oregon by the coast) without any complaints.

I also came from the BFG AT KO tire. I was pleased with them on most instances although heavy rain and standing water would cause loss of traction and hydroplaning. Look at the tread pattern and there is no easy way for water to escape. I try not to drive like a jackass though and am running BFG KM2's now which are not a great tire for snow or rain, but if you drive sensible for the conditions they work just fine.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know its a different direction than what you're looking at now, but check out the maxxis bighorns . I run them and absolutely love them. 90% of the mileage is on the road. I've got over 45k on them now and am at around 50% tread. I had them siped and they're great on the road, in the rain, mud, snow, and sand. Don't rock crawl so can't say much there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
First of all you guys can't compare the BFG Rugged-Terrains to the BFG Rugged-FAILS! Totally different tires....

I've only had persoanl experience with the All-Terrain KOs and KM2s, but from the general reviews and reports I've gotten from my customers at Discount Tire that DO run them, I'd say the Rugged-Terrains are much much better than the Rugged-Fails. Also, when you get up close and compare the 2 tires next to each other, it's easy to come to that same conclusion... ;) The Rugged-Terrains are good looking tires.

With what you're looking for in a tire, OP, I say go for the Rugged-Terrains... Very good tire.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I know its a different direction than what you're looking at now, but check out the maxxis bighorns . I run them and absolutely love them. 90% of the mileage is on the road. I've got over 45k on them now and am at around 50% tread. I had them siped and they're great on the road, in the rain, mud, snow, and sand. Don't rock crawl so can't say much there.
Sorry to the op for going off topic but i have to agree with this guy, i have the bighorns and they are the best all around tires i have ever had next to the bfg a/t's (which I've had 4 sets of) i mainly crawl and snow wheel but they get they're share of pavement. Although i am not getting the same milage out of mine, im a little dubious that you will get 90k out of them:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Are you speaking from experience regarding this Rugged Terrain?
not me personally. I've only run the A/T's, KO's i believe they are called. Buddy of mine has the same truck and his rugged terrains lasted a long time, be he told me his slipped a little in the wet weather on streets just like my KO's did. If they are a new style/model i'd say give them a try, they might have improved the wet street driveability.

I'd say it all comes down to price, and what you use them for. I like A/T's of all kinds because it allows me to have a tired that can last 35-50K and be used on light off-roading trips.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First of all you guys can't compare the BFG Rugged-Terrains to the BFG Rugged-FAILS! Totally different tires....

I've only had persoanl experience with the All-Terrain KOs and KM2s, but from the general reviews and reports I've gotten from my customers at Discount Tire that DO run them, I'd say the Rugged-Terrains are much much better than the Rugged-Fails. Also, when you get up close and compare the 2 tires next to each other, it's easy to come to that same conclusion... ;) The Rugged-Terrains are good looking tires.

With what you're looking for in a tire, OP, I say go for the Rugged-Terrains... Very good tire.
That's what I'm thinking too. I'll be sure to report back if I end up getting them!

not me personally. I've only run the A/T's, KO's i believe they are called. Buddy of mine has the same truck and his rugged terrains lasted a long time, be he told me his slipped a little in the wet weather on streets just like my KO's did. If they are a new style/model i'd say give them a try, they might have improved the wet street driveability.

I'd say it all comes down to price, and what you use them for. I like A/T's of all kinds because it allows me to have a tired that can last 35-50K and be used on light off-roading trips.
I have actually gotten almost 50k out of my Duratracs and would expect to get much more mileage out of a less aggressive tire like this. the siping is starting to fade away on my Duratracs and some of the little tread blocks are starting to "combine" from the wear. I'd say these are about done. It was a good 50k mile run though! Lasted me almost four years!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Fuck anything made by BFG. I had some AT's and Fred Flinstone's tires gave a smoother ride and probably wore better too.

I am running Maxxis Bighorns and it is amazing that a mud tire rides smoother than those fucking dogshit BFG's. There is a reason no other tire company ever bothered to follow their lead on that fucked up tread pattern.

(rant over)

PS. if I were to run an AT it would be the Hankooks. Have them on my 4runner and they have been nice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry to the op for going off topic but i have to agree with this guy, i have the bighorns and they are the best all around tires i have ever had next to the bfg a/t's (which I've had 4 sets of) i mainly crawl and snow wheel but they get they're share of pavement. Although i am not getting the same milage out of mine, im a little dubious that you will get 90k out of them:rolleyes:
Well maybe not 90k. I just went out and measured them and have 5/16"+- on the front and about 1/4" on the rears and never rotate them. I had them put on at 132k and am at 178k now. Still I'm happy with how the tire has performed and the mileage out of them. Will get another set this year probably late summer or early fall cause I drive close to 800-850 miles a week on them with work and stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
those came on my 2000 tacoma. i hated them for the whole two weeks i had them; they made driving sucky- THAT's how sucky they were!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
those came on my 2000 tacoma. i hated them for the whole two weeks i had them; they made driving sucky- THAT's how sucky they were!
I think you're also confusing rugged terrain with rugged trail/rugged fail, since the Rugged Terrain has only been on the market for two years.

I changed my OP to prevent further confusion!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I almost bought them. I did tons of research, and talked with a few guys that were running them. Went to go place my order for 285s, and was told they were on a 4 month back order. Not sure if they still are or not. I ended up going with Falkens, and have been extremely happy.
I think you'd be happy with them.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Quit being a sally and just get some KM2's. I DD a set of them for 3 years now and they are wearing almost as good as the old style. They are really smooth for a "mud tire" i use that term loosely. Dont mess around with those halfass AT tires, especially if you dont get any snow. The second you leave the pavement you will wish you had some aggressive tires on there.

To those of you that hate the rugged trails, I wheeled the shit out of some for a summer before I lifted my taco and never had a problem for what they are. Ran some really nasty trails with them aired down to 6psi, and they struck pretty damn good to rocks. Would i ever buy some hell no, but they surprised the hell out of me! They also were not half bad in the snow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts