TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On July 30th I have set up a trip to the Big Bear area, we will be taking on Gold Mountain, Clarks Grade and then on to Pipes Canyon time permitting. We will be meeting in Big Bear at BLT's, a fine scarfing establishment at 8:00am and then heading out to Gold Mountain around 9:00am to 9:30am. BLT's address is 41799 Big Bear Blvd. Big Bear Lake, CA. Gold Mountain is moderate to difficult and has been getting a little more chewed up so it would be still on the bottom of the difficult scale but is starting to get a little tougher. Clarks Grade would be rated mostly easy except for a couple tight sections that will keep the trail rated moderate and Pipes Canyon is also rated moderate. The only bad part is that they have closed Pipes as it leaves the National Forest so you must turn back and return the way you came. All in all it should be a fun trip, and if we run out of time we can cut Pipes Canyon and head down from Clarks Grade.

If anyone on TTORA is interested in going let me know, so that we can get a number on how many want to go.

Here's a link to the event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1616429508669062/

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had a great time, at breakfast we discussed the trails and opted to toss Clarks Grade and Pipes Canyon for John Bull. Gold Mountain was a little tougher than the last time I ran it but with some good tire placement it wasn't that bad at all.

The John Bull was its normal nasty self as usual but wasn't any worse than in the past. Only needed someone to spot me out of a hole I ended up in that had me up against a rock on my rear diff and another on the front. I did also have a front axle drain plug work its way out from dragging on a few rocks, fortunately I had a spare and some gear oil to set things right.

https://www.facebook.com/142698029134830/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1179505462120743

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
1 Participant
Rocksurfer
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing