TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another snow run! :driving:

Big Bear is getting loaded up with tons of snow this weekend. Probably a solid 2ft by the end of the weekend. So game on for next Saturday! Should be plenty of fun and lots of snow to play in. Come on out and join us! :)

The typical snow run boiler plate info-

We don't require chains on the trail, only to meet CHP requirements on highway as necessary.
Meet at the trailhead of 3N16 and Hwy 18 at 9am.
Trailhead for 3N16 is here:
N34 17.620 W116 48.810

Optional
7:30am Meeting at McDonalds at I-15 and Bear Valley here:
N34 28.280 W117 20.575

I'll be going up the back way through Lucerne if anybody wants to meet up at the McDonalds on our way to the trailhead.

Dress warm and pack a lunch.

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my tractor board, I heard they have had chain restrictions to get up the hill even with 4WD down there now. Might wanna check.
They had R3 restrictions on the mountain roads last Friday, but they backed down to R2 currently. Unless they do a great job clearing this week, the mountain might still be on R2 next weekend. I'm not worried though. We'll have 3 clear days of weather before the run next Saturday.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm in for sure. We won't have any trouble finding snow this time. They got 4 feet in the past 3 days in Big Bear city and have 2 more days to go. I'll meet up at McDonalds. That's definitely the best way in.

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in for sure. We won't have any trouble finding snow this time. They got 4 feet in the past 3 days in Big Bear city and have 2 more days to go. I'll meet up at McDonalds. That's definitely the best way in.
Sweet! Yeah, there will be plenty of snow. I'm looking forward to this trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sweet! Yeah, there will be plenty of snow. I'm looking forward to this trip.

Showstop,

Any update on conditions after the last couple of days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Showstop,

Any update on conditions after the last couple of days?
The mountain got between 2-4 feet of snow over the weekend. Should make for fun trail conditions.

The mountain roads are still showing R2 conditions which means chains for 2WD vehicles, but 4x4 is OK. That might lift by the weekend, but I wouldn't bank on it. I'm going up the back way via Hwy 18 through Lucerne because the front roads of Hwy 330 and Hwy 38 are going to be a mess with weekenders trying to hit the slopes. I'd suggest taking the same route up to avoid the chaos that always occurs on the front roads.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
They had R3 restrictions on the mountain roads last Friday, but they backed down to R2 currently. Unless they do a great job clearing this week, the mountain might still be on R2 next weekend. I'm not worried though. We'll have 3 clear days of weather before the run next Saturday.
Yeah, you won’t have an issue. It is R2 now and probably less by the time you go. The biggest issues then will be the number of people going up. The 330/18 is always crowded after snows but now even the 18 up from Lucerne can get traffic. Big Bear Blvd. can be bad near the resorts and on the west end where it goes down to one lane. The trails are in great shape, a ton of snow with some ice under that in places.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You don't need to deal with the CHP or chains if you go up through the desert,Hesperia. Go up Bowen Ranch, Grapevine Cyn or Rattlesnake Cyn. Then connect them with 3N16 or Smarts Ranch Rd. Those roads with snow are very much a different experience in the snow. Why would anyone want waste your day coming up 38 or 330 with all the ding dongs .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm on the way, unexpected traffic. Expect to make mcdonalds by 8 or meet point by 9. Radio frequency 144.450

-Jeff typing for Kenny

1 - 20 of 22 Posts