TTORA Forum banner

Big Bear SoCal report

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BuckeyeT 
#1 ·

I made it out to SoCal recently and linked up with a guys from another forum. There was a 1993 Grand Cherokee, a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR, a 1997 LR Discovery, and my Tacoma. I'm mainly throwing this out there for educational purposes... if you weren't aware, there are some pretty neat trails just off I-10 before you hit LA. If you have an expo-style rig build, the Big Bear area is a solid place to hit someday as there are many trails from basic forest roads to some nicely technical crawling trails. Huge lake, some neat funky small "villages" and 7000-8000' mountains. Weather was awesome. I could easily spend days there just exploring and chilling. I'll go back again, someday.

We ran a few trails, including one (John Bull) that we turned around on because it was turning to shit and the Discovery broke a rear axle and the Montero smashed his rear diff several times, bent both ends of his bumper up 4" so it looked like a smiley face, lost a piece of plastic trim, smashed the passenger rocker panel good enough to make both doors stick, and broke some plastic around a tail light. I took a few good bumps and scrapes along the bottom but nothing serious.

Some pictures.

Short video

See less See more
#2 ·
Right on. There's some fun scenic stuff to be had up there for sure. Been wheeling there a few times myself, and its lots of fun especially in a build like yours. Did you guys run Dishpan Springs, Gold Mtn, etc? I like that area as a cooler place to wheel in the summer, again, especially in my IFS rig. Keep posting up when you get out wheeling. Gets a little dead around here sometimes.

#3 ·
We didn't do Dishpan but Gold Mountain was one of 'em. It's definitely a neat area for rigs that are 35" tires or less.

2013 has been a little weak for wheeling but I try and post up when able. Let's see, I did a half day trip to a nearby undisclosed location in Jan, a day trip to the Punkin Center area in Feb, Agua Fria NM day trip in March, Death Valley extended trip in March, and Big Bear in May. Was hoping to do some light wheeling in southeast AZ when I was at Ft Huachuca a couple weeks ago but couldn't pull it off. Later this month I'm hiking Humphrey's Peak and will do a little 4x4 near Flagstaff with that... and I've gotta extended trip in July to Colorado.

But yeah, it's pretty dead around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.