TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Bear Yellow Post Experience
(FYI: long read)

I thought I would share this story with you guys. A few weeks back I went up and camped at YP 30 in Big Bear. For those of you who do not know, Yellow Post’s are single dispersed campsites throughout the San Bernardino National Forest (as well as other wilderness areas in CA). The YP provided you a secluded campground with no other camps around as well as providing a fire pit and picnic table. They are also free and on a first come first serve basis. I have stayed at many YP over the last 4 years and had nothing but a great time, until my most recent trip.

I decided to take my girlfriend to Big Bear to do some camping at any YP that we could find that was not already taken. So we arrived around 4pm on a Friday and were able to find YP #30 available. YP #30 is (IMO) one of the better YP around and was stoked to find it empty. My Girl was new to this style of camping ad was a little nervous to say the least. (Like most people, when you say camping they think of car camping in a designated campground with other sites right next to one another. That is they type of camping she was used to) I kept assuring her that it will be great and that no one would bother us as we were in a more or less private camp.

After getting camp set up (maybe 40min after being there) a gold Mitsubishi SUV pulled up and the dude got out of his car and come up to me. He says: “Are you guys camping here for the night” ME: “Yes we are as you can see our tent set up” Dude: “O, ok well we are going to park right here” I’m now a little confused and ask the guy “So you want to join us?” Dude and his wife: “Yea we were her last night and had to run into town to grab a few things. Me: “Sorry guys I came up her to be alone with my girl, and YP are on a first come first serve, so it’s just not going to happen.” Then him and his wife argue with me trying to plea there point of “Ooo we can share this site, we always share our YP’s” So then I proceed to tell them “ I come up here to be alone and there is no way you are going to join us, sorry” Then my girl chimes in and says. “Now I’m uncomfortable and I don’t like this” Then at this point the Dude get back into his car while the wife is still shouting at me and my lady talking shit. It was the oddest experience of my life. I have NEVER had anyone come up to me at a dispersed campground and asked to join. Also I should let you know that they were definitely tweekers or ex tweekers as the Dudes wife had the “Bitter Beer face” going on. For the record, I’m always willing to lend a hand and “Share” but when it comes to being up in the woods and alone I don’t like to share my camp spots (that’s why I’m there, to be ALONE) That’s why their logic was not setting in with me b/c they were probably hi as a kite. It also would have been different if all camps were taken and they were kind of stranded. That was not the case, there were other YP open within a few miles as well as all the public campgrounds within 5 miles.

This really put a damper on the first few hrs. of the trip as my girl was all scared and nervous that they were going to come back at night and fuck with us. I had to keep telling her that in my 20 years of dispersed camping I have NEVER been approached by some random ass person wanting to join my camp. And that they were not going to come back and if they do they can deal with my 110lb Bulldog and my shovel to the head. Luckily I was able to calm her down with a few beers and keep her mind off it by prepping for a fire and dinner.

So I guess the point of this story is that some people just don’t care and will try to impose themselves on you if you let them. It does not matter if it’s in town or in the middle of the forest.

Keep your eyes out while up in BB for a gold Mitsubishi SUV, if they are around have your guard up!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've found that people are a lot less likely to screw with you if you have a .40 cal strapped on your hip.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I've found that people are a lot less likely to screw with you if you have a .40 cal strapped on your hip.
And then there is this!!!:)

Works extremely well.

We have a really neat spot not too far from lake Isabella, same kind of scenario. Unimproved, area is nearly empty every time we go. We set up a spot, and I picked one where there is no practical way to be real close.

And then a group of about 6 shows with 2 rigs and HAS to be right on top of us. :mad: Just showed them to another area and explained that they should be a good bit further away because I figured they might be loud and I really like my quiet when camping. They complied, reluctantly. Walked the dog over later, spent a few minutes hanging out, and then later, as suspected, they were up late and loud. One of them said "It's a good thing we moved over here, so we did not bug the neighbor." (me) It was good; they got to party, and I got to sleep and it wasn't a bad weekend at all.

Some neighbors are just better than others I suppose.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was never into camping in campgrounds with several people, it was only after meeting my ex wife, who's from San Diego, that I stayed in those big camping areas, she was always worried about straying from the herd I guess. Out here there is enough back woods that you can pretty much be alone almost anywhere, just gotta know where to go. That said, there are risks. There's a place outside of a little town called Index I'd go with friends to all through high school that I talked her into going to. The next morning the ranger came though to check on things and asked us how our night was. Besides being colder than I expected, I said it was great, right next to the river, clear and quiet, our closest neighbors probably a half mile away. She asked if we'd had any disturbances, and I said no, figuring there were drunk kids out, I expected that sort of thing, hell I was one of them a decade before ;) She then said there had been a lot of reported robberies and altercations from meth addicts around, and I thought, oh shit, good thing she told us that after we camped for the night, my girl never would have gone for that.

I went home and talked to my brother about the experience, and he told me a pretty disturbing story. He had a guy from his fire station who was up there with his wife, and they were sleeping in the back of his truck inside the canopy/topper. In the middle of the night they were woken up by someone trying to get in to the canopy. His wife exclaimed some kind of warning to them, but all it did was make them try harder to get in. They apparently recognized the sound of the slide being racked on an automatic handgun, because when the guy cocked his pistol the noise stopped. He quickly slid through the slider into the driver seat and got the fuck outa there.

Now this is a story from my brother, who is generally very honest, so I can neither confirm or deny the validity of the story, but the lesson remains the same, be prepared. You know in certain areas there are certain dangers, be it bears, cougars, snakes, or unfortunately, the biggest danger of all, other people. I'm a firm believer that going into the unknown unarmed is being as unprepared as going into a blizzard in a t shirt.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I feel the need to start caring a gun every time out in the woods these days. I will remember the 12gage next time, thats forsure!

rojodiablo:
Good thing you said something and they listened. Thats not always the case.

rpegan70:
Thats a crazy story about that firefighter. I would have shit bricks and my girl would have never come back if something like that would have happend. Thats why having a tent set up can sometimes keep people away as they do not know if anyone is around or not.

F**K Tweekers!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts