TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am possibly planning a trip to Big Bend National Park, in SW Texas (not sure if this is the right folder) and was wondering if you could give me any pointers, as I hoping some of you have been there.

Some roads I am thinking of are Old Ore Road, Juniper Canyon Road, and Pine Canyon and camping among them with the back country use permit.

Any suggestions? Pic's? Advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Wil,
Let me know how it goes I've always wanted to head out that way!

-Laurence

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TacoJumper said:
Wil,

-Laurence

Will do! This will not be for a few months, but time to research the route. I am thinking of maybe heading in through Mexico for some added excitement, since we are starting off in Phoenix, AZ.

·
Registered
205 Posts
flyingwil said:
Hey Guys,

I am possibly planning a trip to Big Bend National Park, in SW Texas (not sure if this is the right folder) and was wondering if you could give me any pointers, as I hoping some of you have been there.

Some roads I am thinking of are Old Ore Road, Juniper Canyon Road, and Pine Canyon and camping among them with the back country use permit.

Any suggestions? Pic's? Advice?

Thanks!
It's great out there. All the back roads in the park are easily traveled with a 4x4 Tacoma. The only problem might be if it has recently rained a lot. I think they close some of the back roads in that case. There is one road that the park does not recommend traveling on because it is no longer maintained, but we have taken it many times with no problem. The camping is great.

The park is in a remote area 100 miles from the nearest town of any size. Be sure to take plenty of water and food with you when you go on the trails, and a full tank of gas. Be prepared for weather extremes. It may be very hot, mild or very cold.

The Chisos Basin campground is our favorite.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4wd4ever said:
It's great out there. All the back roads in the park are easily traveled with a 4x4 Tacoma. The only problem might be if it has recently rained a lot. I think they close some of the back roads in that case. There is one road that the park does not recommend traveling on because it is no longer maintained, but we have taken it many times with no problem. The camping is great.

The park is in a remote area 100 miles from the nearest town of any size. Be sure to take plenty of water and food with you when you go on the trails, and a full tank of gas. Be prepared for weather extremes. It may be very hot, mild or very cold.

The Chisos Basin campground is our favorite.

Bruce

Sweet!

Hey Bruce,

Do you have any pictures of the area you could share? Looks incredible, IMO.

Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
flyingwil said:
Sweet!

Hey Bruce,

Do you have any pictures of the area you could share? Looks incredible, IMO.

Thanks!
I have a lot of pictures, but they are all 35mm and are presently stored and not easy to get at. Just go and take lots of pictures. You won't be disappointed. I've tried to attach a few here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks sweet. I am thinking of going into TX through Mexico and taking the back roads in, and spending a few days camping at Big Bend. Should be cool. Just trying to plan it out now for Feb.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Feb is a nice month. Maybe cold. I've seen all types of weather at all times of the year out there. The way into Texas from Mexico is through some desolate, and remote areas. If you go that way, be certain to provision yourself accordingly. And just an ol man's advice, no firearms or cartridges in Mexico!!!! I don't know where you can now legally cross into Texas, but research it carefully and have all necessary documentation with you.

That area has become a narcotics highway into the US. I've heard of several violent instances ocurring in the area, so be careful.

Be safe and have fun. Wish I was going with you, but we should be on the road in our Motorhome by that time heading out west for several months.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wil,

-Laurence
Here is the quick version of the trip:

Day 1: Camp at Ft. Davis. Scott and I meet Tony at camp.

Day 2: Ran into a situation and Scott had to return to Phoenix. Tony and I continued as planned (with a three hour delay) and attempted to meet Patrick. We looked for Patrick in Study Butte, but did not see Stormy. We thought that Rodger was close behind Patrick, but wasn't. Tony and I decided to continue on and got our Back-country permits at Panther Junction and head on in hopes of meeting Patrick en route.

Still no signs of Patrick. We left a note card up on the visitor board, that we were continuing on as planned. We headed off to Castolon Visitor center to try and see if Patrick was there (the rangers had seen him, and told us he went to Rio Grande Village). We thought the ranger was confused, but he told us right. Rio Grande is on the opposite side of the park as camp 1.

We stopped to watch the sun set at Buenos Aires Camp Road, as we knew we wouldn't be setting up camp in daylight. As soon as we had set up our chairs, Stormy came cruising along. We watched the sun set and continued to camp 1, Loop Camp.

Day 3: We took the remainder of River Road West to Black Gap Road. Stormy was having some difficulties and cut out at the intersection of Juniper Canyon and Glenn Springs to go back to the trailer at Rio Grande Village. Tony and I head to camp 2, Robber's Roost. The original plan was to camp at Juniper Canyon, but the trail head camps had all been closed. When arriving into camp we meet Rodger and enjoyed the sunset.

Day 4: We took Glenn Spings on back to to River Road and headed towards the Hot Springs and Rio Grande Village in hopes of reuniting with Patrick (we had not heard that Patrick had dropped out yet). The ranger brought us out a note and we had heard that Stormy was under the weather, and loaded back on to the trailer. We continued on to camp 3, Telephone canyon.

We somehow missed it, and ended up at Roy's Peak Camp. It was a much better camp and had views of the Chisos rather than in a valley, and set up camp.

Day 5: took the remainder of Old Ore Road and parted ways.

Day 6: Dropped my truck off in Houston, TX and caught a flight home.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Nice pics, looks like a real adventure. I will take one of those one day. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here is the quick version of the trip:

Day 1: Camp at Ft. Davis. Scott and I meet Tony at camp.
Looks like Indian Lodge area am i right? I used to be a summer camp counselor right down the road from there. Fort Davis, Marfa, and Alpine were my romping grounds in the summer.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
i see said the blind man....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thinking of gettin a trip together for my Spring Break next March. Need to get a better idea of when the Lonestar Round Up is however.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If anybody is going to plan another trip pm me...I live in Alpine (about 45min to an hour from the park) and know alot of the good areas in Big Bend. There is a run on Easter near Terlingua that the San Antonio Jeep Exclusive guys put on...be nice to have another yota besides mine. I already plan on letting a lot of people know about it when the dates get closer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts