TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a copy of an e-mail I recently sent out to friends and loved ones sharing with them our plans, and I want to share them with you all here as well. It is long because I had to catch some people up.
>>>>>>
Ok this has been in the works for about 6 months, but now we are confident in the surety of it happening, so we want to share with you, our friends, what has been and will be going on.

Refresher: back in 2003 I fell off my semi and did permanent damage to my ankle. The Dr. told me that my job required to much walking and movement for it to last long and the longer I kept my job the sooner I'd need ankle fusion or replacement. So began the search for other employment. This proved to be hard to do and make the money I make or even make what I need to barely maintain my wife's health and other bare minimums. So I kept working at my car hauling job.

Fast forward to 2006 I went to a seminar and it rekindled a desire I've had since I was in my early teens but always thought it was a dream and have never really told anyone except my wife, just because it was put on the back burner of my mind years ago. The next day I went on a diet and exercise program and have lost about 74 lbs as of right now.

Now, the new jobs that I had tried to look into before were drastic pay cuts for me, they all CAPPED out at about half of what I make now and were jobs that I just would not be satisfied doing.
This dream job is also a far less paying job at first, for about 4 years, but in about 5-10 I will be close to what I make now, and it is a job I've wanted to do forever, but again thought it to be unattainable.
So we have researched about 15 different schools, the cost of living, going full time vs part time and the sacrifices each would involve. Weighed the pro's and con's of each, done about 12 different budgets for each scenario etc etc etc etc etc.

I have tried every which way to talk my wife out of supporting me on this/ giving her a way out, you name it. I've tried to make sure she was not just being the great supportive wife she is just for me, and made sure SHE really wants this and what it means for her too.

I am telling you all of this so as to stave off all the questions that this type of change begs of those who care about us to ask, and to comfort you with the knowledge that we have REALLY looked into this and MOST importantly have PRAYED EARNESTLY about it.

The bottom line is that we can not stay in Phoenix and afford to make the changes, nor live on the less than half the pay I'd earn for the first few years. So after doing budgets, researching for the BEST schools, and quality of living, Alicia's health concerns etc etc etc we are going to be moving to Idaho. The Boise area to be more specific, the school is in Caldwell.

The job I will be going to school for is to be a helicopter pilot. I know one of the things you are thinking is... " wait don't helicopter pilots make good money?", well they do not at first, but will later, but even then don't make what I make as an owner operator of a semi-truck hauling cars.

I have flown 2 different helicopters and maaaaaaaaaaan can I tell you!!! ........ that I am cut out for this!!!!!!!

The time window for this we are hoping to make will be moving to Idaho the first or second week in March. This timeline is contingent on the sale of my Semi-truck, I have a tentative buyer now but if he backs out, then we will just have to see what happens next and adjust our plans accordingly.

We have waited to let everyone know because had we said anything way back when there would have been all the....... " what happened ? is it not gonna happen?" etc etc question and comments, so we chose to wait until it was more certain and sure we were being led of the Lord to do this.

So anyway we are excited and will miss everyone we know in Az. and those who come out from California to visit, but we need to go where it is best for our families future.
Thanks for your prayer and support for us as we take this step of faith in the direction of our lives.
Love,
The Wagoner Family
Kirk, Alicia, Gunner and Garrett.
<<<<<<<

To you my TTORA friends, having the pleasure of wheeling with you, working on your trucks as well as many of you helping me work on mine, especially Shane, has been a great joy. I am a blessed man as a result of knowing many of you. I will miss you peeps a lot as well as Az. and the terrific wheeling this state has to offer. I will still come around this and the national board and will remain in touch, and if possible in the future try and get down this way for Az rocks and such. After I have been in Idoho and between school and things, you can bet I'm gonna try and find all the good spots to wheel up there and take any of you out if you so decide to take me up on this invite now, to come on up and pay me a visit, especially in the summer when the highs are only mid 90's for about 2 weeks. I'm not gone yet and hope to go out on a least one more run thru axle ally or Elvis or something before I go. Anyway, you guys have been great people to have gotten to know in person.
:thumbs: :headbang: to you all.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Good luck to you, Kirk. My wife and I wish you the best!
Chris ("f" bombs-r-us") lol

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>>Chris ("f" bombs-r-us") lol<<
:rofl:
Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Good luck to you and your family Kirk, Glad to hear you've got it all figured out :D Won't be the same in AZ without the cap'n ;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh man, congrats. I'm so jealous. I've wanted to be a helicopter pilot for a while now. When I get burnt out on my current profession, my plan is to move out of the country (Mexico or Europe). My backup plan is helicopter school.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seth_js said:
Oh man, congrats. I'm so jealous. I've wanted to be a helicopter pilot for a while now. When I get burnt out on my current profession, my plan is to move out of the country (Mexico or Europe). My backup plan is helicopter school.

Good luck man.
Thanks.
I've now flown behind the controls of a Robinson r22 and a Swietzser (sp?) 300 and it is gonna be a fantastic career to move into.
If you can go part time, you should, get your license and then you will be more employable in foreign countries.

·
Registered
676 Posts
kirk it's been an honor knowing you and wheeling with you. good luck with your new life, and hope to see you around soon. :xbeer1: :woot:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WARTOY said:
kirk it's been an honor knowing you and wheeling with you. good luck with your new life, and hope to see you around soon. :xbeer1: :woot:
Thanks Serg, the feeling is mutual.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
azredtaco said:
Good luck to you and your family Kirk, Glad to hear you've got it all figured out :D Won't be the same in AZ without the cap'n ;)
Thanks T.

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
Congrats to you Kirk! I wish you nothing but the best in your new career! I'm know you will be missed by many here!

Hopefully we can get together before you leave so I can wish you good luck in person - plus I want to see the Alicia and the boys! :D

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Good luck to ya man!! A really good friend of mine worked on Italian helicopters-can`t think of the name....I`ve flown in a couple of them, last time was 2 months IN the grand canyon at the bar 10 ranch-very fawkin cool place. I`d be into flying them, but workin them would be sweet too.

Phoenix has a lower cost of living (housing, taxes, etc.), but gas, food, cars, and bunch of other things are more expensive. And, sorry-but the mexicans are workin for alot less drivin certain wages down. I know there was just a cost of living, but....well ya know....ok too much beer...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow. I was expecting everything except that. You have to do what is best for your family Kirk. If this is the move you really want to do, go for it. My wife and I have a saying .. "Good things come to good people". -- I truly believe You, Alicia, and the twins are good people, so things will work out.

Take care Kirk.

AzHobbes

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Hey Kirk congradulations!! Hope it all works out well for you and your family.
We should definatley plan one last run before you take off.
Oh - I don't think Idaho has any rocks? mud maybe? :D

- TBob

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Ultimately it seems that life is a constant journey for what ever it is that makes each of us who and what we are. Along the way, changes occur and the journeys path inevitably takes us to somewhere new. Good luck in the next stop along the path of your journey. Best wishes to you and your family as you go down your chosen paths.

·
Web Wheeler
1,860 Posts
Good Luck Kirk! It's a big change and I wish you all the best. I have enjoyed wheeling with you and the family and we definitely have to make one more run before you move!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well i never meet you but best of luck for you and your family. You know i was thinking about moving there in a couple of years , heard its pretty and there are alot of great trails up there.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks

Josh, Clover, PA desert, Hobbes, T-bob, Stroke, Marc, Josh, Ninja and to everyone else who may post your well wishes, Thanks You. I really love and appreciate you all and your friendship has been great. Like I said I'll still visit this board and am still around for now, march is when I'm leaving if I can sell my semi.
So thanks again to all of you. I will definitely miss you guys and this great state.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts