TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to big island in May. It will be my first time. We'll be staying at friends vacation house in Kona. Any info for place to see and do would be appreciated.

We're gona rent a 4x and explore some surf spots. It know its fickled but it will be fun. Warm water and no wetsuits :D :D . No worries though. I'm respectful and we are not haoles. I'm nor cal so I know about respect and locals. If I didn't have a wetsuit tan, I'd fit in pretty well :D Bring my 5'11' quad fish.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've not visited the Big Island yet, but I've flown around it a few times. I recommend the lava flows (Volcanoes National Park). They're pretty cool to check out.

There are also lots of places to drive around and just enjoy the scenery. There's plenty of REALLY cool places to check out for nice views.

I recommend checking out a book called "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" (http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Big-Island-Revealed-Guidebook/dp/0971727945/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6072712-9748946?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176687337&sr=8-1. It's one of a series of books (each island has its own), and the Oahu one has been spectacular. It has things to do broken down by category (i.e. surfing spots, hikes, camping, restaurants, etc), how to get there, what to do there, etc. The Oahu one is the one I give people to read when they come visit me so they can pick out things they want to do. It's great, and they're really inexpensive.

If you have any other questions you think I can help ya' with, let me know!

Have a great time out here!
-Radar

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendation for airlines from the big island to oahu?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hawaiian Airlines, just because I work for them and I am bias :D
how much is it usually from kona to oahu? ar eyou guys nice to surfboards?

·
Registered
444 Posts
check out hawaiian's website... they (and aloha airlines) are frequently running sweet deals that can only be found online.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Aloha super Doody..........alohaairlines is running a special on interisland $19 thru out the month of may.That is a very sweet deal bro...you cant go any sweeter than that and also our flights on aloha airline is open seated ,no assigned seat watsover.And one hint if your flying Alohairline to kona (da big island) go seat at back of the plane like four rows from the back and also be sure to sit at the left side too.Its very critical to be seated at the left side (seats,A,B,C) of the aircarft if you wana sea the islands Moloka'i , Lana'i, maui,keau'olawe and offcourse da beautifull big island of hawa'ii nei. My advice
to my mainlander buddy's is "Come with Aloha or dont come at ALL" that translate to leave the attitude behind and come explore your inner soul.Your on vacation for cryn out loud........relax and smile anytime ,everytime and your experience the alohaness...

Alooohas
Takona

p.s drive with aloha and leave them rocks alone
dont take any home.(bad karma)

·
Registered
380 Posts
you work on o'ahu? a friend of mine works there...
yeah, i work on oahu. what department does your friend work?

Super Doody,

The best bet to get the cheapest rate is to go online. hawaiianair.com with the airfare wars going on, the cheapest could be $19, but those seats are usually limited.

both aloha and hawaiian can handle your surfboards. don't know about that go! airlines, they have smaller planes and cargo space is limited. put it this way, I heard they use two planes to get baggage to its destination some times. you could receive your luggage a couple of hours later.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the aloha guys. now, any surfer big island surfer out there? Should I bring my surf board? I don't want to go through all that hassle just to surf 2' slop or just rent a 10 footer softtop ? :D You don't have to name drop spots.

Its just my gf and I. We are renting a 4x4 and probably doing some exploring. I'm surfed in other countries and surfed some most localized spots on earth so I know about respect :kewl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
You betta off rentin one, cus da south swells are not here yet.Plus if your goin thru all dat hassle of bringin your board and there will be no waves. dat will be my input.

alohas
TaKona

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah, i work on oahu. what department does your friend work?

Super Doody,

The best bet to get the cheapest rate is to go online. hawaiianair.com with the airfare wars going on, the cheapest could be $19, but those seats are usually limited.

both aloha and hawaiian can handle your surfboards. don't know about that go! airlines, they have smaller planes and cargo space is limited. put it this way, I heard they use two planes to get baggage to its destination some times. you could receive your luggage a couple of hours later.

i'm actually not sure WHAT he does there... he works the graveyard, drives a lunar mist 2wd and drinks way too much.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm back. Big Island was trip. My buddy's house in Puako was the bomb. On the beach 3 feet from the sand. We didnt really do much just relaxed kayaked, drove around. Saw Kamuel, volcanoes, various beaches and little towns. Only went into Kailua once which was enough. Didn't get to surf cause it flat the entire time. I did check out pines trees. What a cool little spot. I bet there are a ton quality, fickle spots.

Why are there some many lifted tacomas? :D

I should quite my job and move there and open up a toyota specific offroad shop.

Oh, Go! lost my bag on my way there. We were on the last plane in. But the airline people were so damn nice and delivered my bag to my house by 11 the next morning...so it was all good.

Stayed on the south shore on the way back to the mainland. Got some much needed surf. Best day was sunday (lastday) when the south was just starting to hit.

Being Asian I felt I could relate to all the locals and I really enjoy learning about the history. I miss the island already. A hui hou

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jim,

Glad you had a great time. I used to stay at a beach house in Puako in the 80's during the summertime. Pretty relaxing place.

I think you should come back to Oahu and open a Toyota specific offroad shop. :D

go! didn't lose your luggage, it was probably put on another plane because they ran out of room in the baggage hold. They seem to do this often.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim,

Glad you had a great time. I used to stay at a beach house in Puako in the 80's during the summertime. Pretty relaxing place.

I think you should come back to Oahu and open a Toyota specific offroad shop. :D

go! didn't lose your luggage, it was probably put on another plane because they ran out of room in the baggage hold. They seem to do this often.
I was piss at first because my girlfriend got her bags :rolleyes: It was either go! or united. We had a lay over in Honolulu. So why so many tacomas?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Why so many?

Don't know why, but probably because it is....

made by Toyota
most reliable truck
parts are readily available
suckers look good lifted
great fishing truck
parking stalls are so small these days
we don't need big v8 suburbans or expeditions here, gas if fricken expensive.
perfect for the trails here
and probably because hawaii is such a small place, that it looks like we have alot of tacomas :D :dunno:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts