TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When upgrading to a larger tire size, at what point would it be necessary/beneficial to use a stiffer spring or stiffer valved shock? My situation... my stock Taco had 215/70/R14 tires on it. After the lift and some trimming it has 31/10.5/R15's. I can imagine these meats are heavier than the stock setup btw(they are on some basic crawler steelies black). As I have the lowrider 2wd the front suspension has very limited travel my guess is 6-10" at the wheel or 1.5-2" measured at the bumpstops. On potholes and the beautiful city streets around the bay area ;) I bottom out often.

I have considered replaciing the springs with stock but upgrading to the v6 springs. those of you who have moved from say 31" stock to 35s', have you upgraded springs with stiffer ones or tighter valved shocks and noticed any difference?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The wheels are unsprung weight, and thus don't affect the spring, except for : When you get up off the grond. Then, the wheels are being carried by the springs, and will have a life of their own when you touch back down. Springs get changed mostly to change the ride of the truck....carry more weight, provide lift, fix sagging. The shocks help the stability, get rid of extra bounce and jarring, soften impacts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts