TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded from 265/70R16, to 305/70/16 and it feels like my truck is all over the road now. I took it to the alignment shop as soon as i put the tires on and i had them re-balanced but it didn't seem to help much.
Is there anything i need to do to the steering rack or is this just part of having bigger tires?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced my rack bushings (they needed replacing) and it helped a little but i still have occasional steering wheel shakes. Idk??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Did you replace them with stock bushings or something better. Do you have any play in the actual steering rack? What I mean is do the tie rods have any play?. If I was you I would just double check for anything loose. I'm not sure how else to help. Keep us posted

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What were the caster angles from the alignment?
I didn't get the readout from the shop. But I'm told from my mechanic that its just because of larger surface area that's contacting the road now. That's it's more sensitive, so it wants to follow the groves in the road.

·
Administrator
18,259 Posts
I didn't get the readout from the shop. But I'm told from my mechanic that its just because of larger surface area that's contacting the road now. That's it's more sensitive, so it wants to follow the groves in the road.

There is some truth to that. However what you describe sounds like it wanders or drifts easily. The caster angle is a major component in how the vehicle tracks straight. Typically with a lifted Tacoma, caster angle is sacraficed to maintain camber and wheel position. This negatively affects the tracking ability of the vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is some truth to that. However what you describe sounds like it wanders or drifts easily. The caster angle is a major component in how the vehicle tracks straight. Typically with a lifted Tacoma, caster angle is sacraficed to maintain camber and wheel position. This negatively affects the tracking ability of the vehicle.
Yes it does wander and drift easily. So do I need to take it back to the alignment shop and have them adjust the caster angle to a specific degree? or do i just need to get some aftermarket UCA's?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man, i appreciate it. I was thinking about getting some of those light racing UCA's. Not to bad for the money, ive read.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts