TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have stock 265/70R16 with about 29000 miles on my new to me 2004 tacoma TRD. i am looking for a slightly bigger tire, i was thinking about on/off road tires, how big can i go? if anyone has some recomendations it would be great.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
31" BFG ATs will do ya.....

search...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
31/ ? / 16's ?

do you think i could do maybe a 31/10.5/16, if they make them?
i dont want to sound stupid, but i really dont know that much about thih shit. and now that i am in germany i have to buy every thing online. so i dont want to mess up and get the wrong shit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
hey i have stock 265/70R16 with about 29000 miles on my new to me 2004 tacoma TRD. i am looking for a slightly bigger tire, i was thinking about on/off road tires, how big can i go? if anyone has some recomendations it would be great.
37's fit no prob...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
31/ ? / 16's ?

do you think i could do maybe a 31/10.5/16, if they make them?
i dont want to sound stupid, but i really dont know that much about thih shit. and now that i am in germany i have to buy every thing online. so i dont want to mess up and get the wrong shit.
265/75/16 is ~31.5/10.4/16 or something like that.

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

The largest stock is the 265/75/16 BFG AT or MT. I had the 265/75/16 stock and it hit the pinch weld a little when fully compresed or turning sharp.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I see you just got back from Iraq? Were you in Ramadi by anychance? I replaced 2-37? out here. Out from Blue Diamond. I think it was called Hard Rock Cafe right below Fire Base Dragon. The name has changed but I know the unit was from Germany.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not me but some of the guys in my BCT are there, i was south west of the green zone. you know were i am talking about? anways send me an Im if you want to chat at all, my yahoo info is in my profile. later

·
Registered
532 Posts
265/70/16 is the biggest tire that will fit stock without issues like rubbing. maybe with less offset rims and some pinch weld/fender modding you can get away with 265/75/16. i had 265/75/16 on stock rims and they rubbed like crazy. 2 inch lift cleared them fine. that is about the best you are going to do without lift. there are tons of variables to take into consideration that you havent outlined yet. all these things will affect tire selection.

1. what type of driving will your truck see?
mostly street/daily driving with occasional light offroading?
frequent/every weekend offroading but still daily driver?
trail only truck? hard offroading?

2. do you plan on lifting? buying new rims? willing to cut/trim. all these things will affect what size will fit without issues.

3. do you care about rubbing (tires rubbing the frame and fenders, etc.)? or is this just for looks? in that case throw on whatever you feel like.

4. research recommended brands/models. then do a comparison on measurement specs from the brand websites and compare them to what you are running now and what you can fit based on your answers to the first 3 question.

look up specs for brands/models that you are interested in. find sizes that will fit your setup. research the brand/size for reviews and opinions online and then pick out the one you think is best for you.

search the board, there is literally hours of info to help you out more than anyone individual can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
hey thanks purity!

yea i am looking to have some fun with this truck in germany and in the states, so right now i want to run bigger tires for fun, and looks. i want to get a lift, and pimp out my truck. but i just found that my wife is pregnate, and need to do alittle at a time now, instead of all at once like i wanted to when i got this truck. but you think i could run 265/75/16 or should i just stay with the 265/70/16's ?

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
hey thanks purity!

yea i am looking to have some fun with this truck in germany and in the states, so right now i want to run bigger tires for fun, and looks. i want to get a lift, and pimp out my truck. but i just found that my wife is pregnate, and need to do alittle at a time now, instead of all at once like i wanted to when i got this truck. but you think i could run 265/75/16 or should i just stay with the 265/70/16's ?
Purity hit it right on. I put 265/75/16 TrXus on my 03 Taco when it was stock, and they rubbed up front when turning and under compression. I installed 4x2 TRD Tundra struts/coilovers up front which provided about 1.5" of lift, and that cured the rubbing. However, another option would be to trim the plastic fender lining in the rear part of the front fender and do the pinch weld mod to help prevent the rubbing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
532 Posts
hey thanks purity!

i would stay with what you got for now and do 265/75 and the lift at the same time. you wont like the rubbing if you get the 265/75 while stock. i tried it for a week and it rubbed bad just on the street. i cant even imagine offroad. you can try it though if you really want. it may not be that big a deal if you plan to lift soon and do the pinch weld mod.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've got 265/75/16s on stock wheels with 2 1/2" of lift (OME 882s) and with the pinchweld hammered flat and the plastic trimmed I have no rubbing at all. I'd get the 265/75s, do the pinchweld and then get a lift whenever you can. 04 d-cab 4x4, btw.

Remember that a suspension lift (unless its a drop-bracket type) won't do much for rubbing problems. The tire still travels to the same spot, the truck just has a higher ride height.

Big thanks for your service to the country!

·
Registered
352 Posts
37's fit no prob...
Actually he is right... all you need is 37's and drive around the block WOT and the tires will "self adjust" the fenders for clearance... :rofl:

*Fenders are overrated* ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts