TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the biggest thing you've hooked up to use and did succefully in you 05+ taco? out of the bed powersupply thing? So far I've charged a laptop lol and used a shoplight thats it

·
Registered
883 Posts
i haven't even used mine, not even try it. i guess i'll do that tommorow to make sure it works.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
With 400 watts you're not going to do a lot.

I use mine to run a small compressor that blows up air mattresses and stuff.

I have some lights that I can plug in, and I have used it to power my laptop while I watched a movie in camp.

The power outlet is cool because it's always there ready to go, but you have to be realistic about what you plug into it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
well the truck has to be running to use this thing right? i dont think i would feel safe just letting my truck sit idling for a couple hours while i watch a movie or something. thats like sitting in traffic for a couple hours.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering about a skill saw.... It's supposto get better wattage eith at idle or with the key turned all the way but not on I think.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Used my FJC power outlet to run a blender.....Here is Timstoy making us a batch of margaritas at the campsite.....good times for sure!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
itsmeagain5789 said:
well the truck has to be running to use this thing right? i don't think i would feel safe just letting my truck sit idling for a couple hours while i watch a movie or something. thats like sitting in traffic for a couple hours.
I got through the first 2/3 of the movie on batteries, and ran the truck for about 15-20 minutes.

No biggie. The Toyota can take it.

And besides...

When the going gets tough, the tough start the generator!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ditto!!!!

My Tacoma outlet works great for blenders in the desert..

Angry Andy said:
Used my FJC power outlet to run a blender.....Here is Timstoy making us a batch of margaritas at the campsite.....good times for sure!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think my blender is 350 watts and it runs with no problems..

d33pt said:
how i'm surprised it could run a blender. that's alot of wattage.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have run a pancake compressor and a sawzall on mine, but the sawzall tripped the breaker.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After almost a 24 hour power outage, I tried to use my hair dryer with the power outlet on my truck. That worked for about 2 seconds. 2am, middle of the street, fun times.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My girlfriends ex-roomate wouldn't get his shit out of her garage after 2 months of asking him. The Taco power supply was able to power up my angle grinder to cut his lock off and dump his shit in the alley in Ocean Beach. People took his shit about as fast as I could get it out of the garage...it served it's purpose.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
cell4soul said:
My girlfriends ex-roomate wouldn't get his shit out of her garage after 2 months of asking him. The Taco power supply was able to power up my angle grinder to cut his lock off and dump his shit in the alley in Ocean Beach. People took his shit about as fast as I could get it out of the garage...it served it's purpose.

Nice! :D
I have used mine to power the battery charger for Drill/sawzall/etc batteries...would have been nice if it had been mounted in a more useful location like the cab...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Here is a power calculator that you can use. Enter the voltage(which is 120, of course) and the amperage (which should be on the device). It should give you the wattage of the device.

Just dont use anything that pulls more than 400.

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/calcpow.htm

·
Registered
883 Posts
ah64id said:
I plan on wiring an intereior plug to it as well, in addition to getting rid of the 100w while driving feature...
can you do that? definatley do a write up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I tried the following:

Makita Roto Hammer, worked but at a very slow pace, not worth it.

Concrete Vibrator, works perfectly

Makita 1/2" hammer Drill, worked perfectly.

Makita 4 1/2" grinder, trips the breaker, in an emergency, it can get you out with many trips to reset the breaker.

Makita 7 1/4" circular saw, Trips the breaker, same as the grinder.

Makita HD Grinder won't even start.

My main interest with this power supply was to be able to use power tools in remote areas at jobsites and save the hauling of a 5000W power plant. For this purpose it obiously failed.
I'm considering buying a 2000w converter and rig the truck for it with a quick connect so I can store it at the office and haul the 13"x8" converter when needed for a jobsite.

For camping, the 400W stock converter should be ok.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Small Christmas tree....got pulled by deputy sheriff and threatened with ticket...."nuisance/traffic hazard."

Cellphone charger. DC charger broke trying to dislodge it from the dash outlet.

Mostly, I forget I've got the inverter. :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts