TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry, I think this might be in the wrong section, but i didn't know where else to post it.

I'm looking for a bed mounted bike rack for a couple of mountain bikes. Haven't been able to find anything. Anyone have one, or know of one? It'd be nice if I didn't have to drill the bed. I know I can get a hitch mounted rack, but I usually don't go to far, so I don't have much gear to carry other than the bikes. I'd like to not have them hangin out behind the bed off the hitch if I don't have to.

·
Registered
340 Posts
How about a 2x4 cut to the width of the bed with a couple of $20 fork mounts bolted to it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the Beddy Jo from yakima. it works awesome

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is what I did, I will try to take a pic tonight, it is easier to see what I did than explain.

Cut a 2X4 a little smaller than the inside width of the bed right where the front tie down anchors are.

Got two long hooks with washers & nuts.

Drilled through the 2X4 just inside of the tie down anchors, ran the hooks through & bolted on from the back.

Painted the whole thing black & attached two of these type of fork mounts http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22692&item=7137198905&rd=1

The whole thing cost around $20, it's solid as a rock, looks good (painted black it blends into the bedliner), and is easily removable.

I actually have mine so that the back wheel of my bikes sits on top of the wheel tubs, & then I run a bungee from the back wheel to the rear anchor. This way it takes up virtually no room in the back of my truck. I've gone away for the weekend with two mountain bikes, two kayaks (on another homemaid rack) & the whole bed of my truck was free for gear.

·
Registered
185 Posts
JimF said:
Here is what I did, I will try to take a pic tonight, it is easier to see what I did than explain.

Cut a 2X4 a little smaller than the inside width of the bed right where the front tie down anchors are.

Drilled through the 2X4 just inside of the tie down anchors, ran the hooks through & bolted on from the back.

Painted the whole thing black & attached two of these type of fork mounts http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22692&item=7137198905&rd=1

The whole thing cost around $20, it's solid as a rock, looks good (painted black it blends into the bedliner), and is easily removable.

I actually have mine so that the back wheel of my bikes sits on top of the wheel tubs, & then I run a bungee from the back wheel to the rear anchor. This way it takes up virtually no room in the back of my truck. I've gone away for the weekend with two mountain bikes, two kayaks (on another homemaid rack) & the whole bed of my truck was free for gear.

thats sounds pretty good man - pics would be great

·
Registered
678 Posts
Easiest and best way IMHO is to get two 6-8' tie down straps. Attach one end to your anchor at the top, passenger corner of your cab-end of the bed. Attach the other hooked end to the handlebars. No, use the second strap on the upper driver-side corner, and then the bike. Now, tighten it all down. I work for a bike tour company and have had at least 6 bikes in the d.cab bed. With the 4 anchors in your bed, you can secure a minuimum of 4 bikes, more if you get creative. Its' not permanent, works on my freeride, road and singlespeed bikes, and costs $125 less than a single bike tray from Yakima or thule. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bed bar type bike rack

Eztrog88 said:
I'm looking for a bed mounted bike rack for a couple of mountain bikes....Anyone have one, or know of one? It'd be nice if I didn't have to drill the bed.
Hi extrog88,
Follow the link in my sig below, under the "mytoy" album, and look for the pic called "Hi-Lift mount"
It's a real simple solution, 1 piece of 3/4" square tubing cut to the width of the bed. One piece of angle iron welded on at each end. A piece of chain link with a turnbuckle looped on and welded in place. No drilling required. I put a piece of rubber between the bar and the bed of the truck. Then I bought two bike mounts, drilled and bolted them in place. If I need to lock the bikes I run a lock through the tie down points in the bed. Total cost was about $50. Real cheap.
Cheers,
P

·
Registered
70 Posts
P1michaud,

Nice Rack! I am looking for someone to make the welds for me. The fab shops want 100+ and I just cant pay that much. But I like yours.

I'll ppost up when I find a deal.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Peanut Butter said:
Easiest and best way IMHO is to get two 6-8' tie down straps. Attach one end to your anchor at the top, passenger corner of your cab-end of the bed. Attach the other hooked end to the handlebars. No, use the second strap on the upper driver-side corner, and then the bike. Now, tighten it all down. I work for a bike tour company and have had at least 6 bikes in the d.cab bed. With the 4 anchors in your bed, you can secure a minuimum of 4 bikes, more if you get creative. Its' not permanent, works on my freeride, road and singlespeed bikes, and costs $125 less than a single bike tray from Yakima or thule. Easy peasy.
I like this way..i just tie mine down like how i would tie down a motorcycle. keeps it tight as a drum..it's alot easier than taking off the front tire..

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a 1inch piece of square tube with quick releases bolted on to it with adjustable ends that I fabed up... it wedges between the bedsides with out denting the bed and can be adjusted up/down or be removed completely...it holds the bikes in place with out moving and with a bungee cord I can anchor heavier stuff to it.
I can post a parts list for the build and maybe talk some one with a digi to take photos ...

·
Registered
87 Posts
JimF said:

Sounds great! I second the request for pics :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Simon, Send me an e-mail frint40(at)optonline(dot)net I just took some pictures, they are not the greatest but I will e-mail them to you. I took them in a parking garage.

Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay guys, I am looking to make something similar but I am trying to avoid have to take off the front wheel. I am to find a good way to secure the wheels with some sort of quick release mechanism. Could you email me some pictures of the rigs you [email protected]

·
Registered
390 Posts
Did you take any pics of your set up? I need to take some bikes out to AZ and I am trying to figure out the best way to do it. Your idea sounds simple enough. My email is [email protected]. If you have any pics you could forward, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you don't want to take off the front wheel, try shipping pallets (sp) if they are the right width(you can take a board off and nail it back to adjust it) you can set the pallet in the back and put your wheel in between the boards. I have not tried this on long trips, but I have seen SUV owners that have them in the back. My fear is that they might move around too much, but its a thought.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Here's a pic of my truck and a pair of bikes in the back. You can barely see the rack in the bed. I used some 4x4's as the main supports across the bed and 2x4's for the wheel slots. I then drilled some holes through the 4x4's for some fish eye(I believe that's what they are called) bolts for the tie downs. I also have a 2x4 that fits in the slots on the side of the bed. That's what keeps it from sliding out of the bed. I've been using this for while on the freeway, road and wheelin' without a problem.

Cost was free. Had a bunch of wood lying around the yard and used a bunch of drywall screws.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/142897778/298267299tfrhqC

·
Registered
70 Posts
I finally decided to just buy the Rockymounts Bed Mounts - mostly those because I lik elong throw QR.

A 2X4 cut to the right length will slip snugly into a indented area of the bed just in front of the tail gate. I am gogin to use some of that fake wood stuff made of receyled plastics so it wont degrade or splinter. This can be done at the front of the bed too, but it will be easier in tha back.

I'll take a pick when its done and all the parts have arrived.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys, sorry, I've been kinda busy, first chance I've had to get back to this thread... thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a couple months till the summer anyways, I'm gonna look at a few of the products you've posted, but i'll probably end up building my own.

Thanks Again

1 - 20 of 27 Posts