TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my Bilstein 5100's on the back of the truck, and measured to the bottom center of the fender flare, and I'm about an inch higher on the right side.......??? WTF?

·
Registered
285 Posts
what springs you got on there before and after? have you driven around to allow the shocks to cycle?

in general, shocks are just dampeners, they don't lift but springs do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced the back shocks...and no I hadn't driven it yet...Guess I'm just really anxious. I'm doing a Deaver AAL in the morning and installing Bilstein Adjustables with Eibach springs up front also.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
As tony said, shocks need to be cycled. Put your springs on & jack truck up as high as your jack will allow a couple of times (tires off for more travel) & then lower w/o letting drums hit the ground or drive moderately including over speed bumps and the truck should level out. The gas in the shocks settle during storage & shipping.

Also be aware that all Toyota's will develop the "toyota lean" which if you are not familiar with it, what happens with worn springs is the truck starts "squatting" on drivers side (on tacos & runners) because the battery, driver and gas tank are all located on that side. On cubby's pre taco, it is the opposite, battery & gas tank on passenger side thus it will start leaning to the passenger side once his springs get older

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What denotes an "old" spring? The leafs were just replaced with the frame in 2010/2011!!!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
It's not so much of an "old" spring as it is a worn spring. Usually when springs start getting used they weaken and start to "flatten out" or loose their arch. Worn out springs will even go into what is called a negative arch.

Also without looking at the spring you can tell by the ride quality. The truck will start feeling a bit bouncy or soft. Also some have even seen the truck begin to land on the bump stops. But that is extreme.

Not sure if all that helps or not but it might give you an idea what to lok for.

Did your truck level out? Some spring manufactures actually build their springs so that one side is actually longer/higher. If by chance you get them swapped, one side will be lower. I can't remember if deaver is one of those comPanies or not

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing