TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa got me the 5100's but as everyone knows, they're on backorder. Does anybody know what the status of these are? I googled it and all I could find was "in production" or something similar.

I wondering if I should just install the new Hoe's, leaf springs, and shackles now and wait for the shocks. Will the stock TRD Bil's work with a new 1.25" leaf spring lift plus 1.5" shackle lift? Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
cheez said:
Santa got me the 5100's but as everyone knows, they're on backorder. Does anybody know what the status of these are? I googled it and all I could find was "in production" or something similar.

I wondering if I should just install the new Hoe's, leaf springs, and shackles now and wait for the shocks. Will the stock TRD Bil's work with a new 1.25" leaf spring lift plus 1.5" shackle lift? Thanks.
I have been wating on mine for over a month I need to call demello to find out when they will be here. I Know it sucks I have Hoe's and new springs to and I want to put them on but the TRD shocks will not work.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know I wish I could find a set around here. I'm wondering if maybe toyota would be able to get them any quicker then a parts store. I know they might be a slight more expensive - BUT - Wouldn't it be worth it?

·
225 Posts
cheez said:

You could just wait untill Feb and the new Hoe rear shocks will be out. :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Donahoe said:
Any info on these? Specs, pics, price, etc.??? Santa already ordered the 5100's through Wheeler's but I could cancel it...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Donahoe said:
Although I have a feeling I'll be buying these either way, what will make them stand out from the 5100 series? Custom valving?

·
225 Posts
Pete said:
Although I have a feeling I'll be buying these either way, what will make them stand out from the 5100 series? Custom valving?
Well you being from RI the biggest thing for you are the Bodies and Shafts. As we sold Bilstiens to guys back east the complaint was rusty shocks after one winter. Our new shocks have the same Nitro steel shafts as our big 2.5" coil-overs. They don’t chip or rust. Plus we cad plate then clear powder coat the bodies so the salt spray testing is about 4 times better then a Bilstien.

Then the other big advantages are specific valving. (bilstien is generic) and shock stroke. We can get another 2" of droop out of our shocks then a Bilstien. So guys can actually utilize after market springs to the ability they give without having to make custom mounts. We will be offering the shock in a Mono-tube as well as a Full reservoir version that will add even more droop to the rear end.

Mono-tube $ 95.75 each
Resevoir $199.00 each

here are some pics

Attachments

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Donahoe said:
Well you being from RI the biggest thing for you are the Bodies and Shafts. As we sold Bilstiens to guys back east the complaint was rusty shocks after one winter. Our new shocks have the same Nitro steel shafts as our big 2.5" coil-overs. They don’t chip or rust. Plus we cad plate then clear powder coat the bodies so the salt spray testing is about 4 times better then a Bilstien.

Then the other big advantages are specific valving. (bilstien is generic) and shock stroke. We can get another 2" of droop out of our shocks then a Bilstien. So guys can actually utilize after market springs to the ability they give without having to make custom mounts. We will be offering the shock in a Mono-tube as well as a Full reservoir version that will add even more droop to the rear end.

Mono-tube $ 95.75 each
Resevoir $199.00 each

here are some pics
cool. are you going to make them in 1" incriments so they will work on stock Tacos needing the two different sizes? I have the lighter valved 5150s and they are great but the dr. side is just a tad long and I have to be careful when fully loaded not to bottom it out. Bilstein only has their shocks in 2" incriments so it kinda sucks for those of us who haven't done 'relocate'.

·
225 Posts
The shocks were designed for full metal to metal bump out. We made them as tight as possible at compresion so we could get the most droop as possible. There is no need for any inch increments when you just nail the mesurement right the first time. The right shock is differnt in leangth the the left shock. So to answer your question yes they bolt right on and there are two differnt shocks...No issuses..

Does that make sense?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Donahoe said:
The shocks were designed for full metal to metal bump out. We made them as tight as possible at compresion so we could get the most droop as possible. There is no need for any inch increments when you just nail the mesurement right the first time. The right shock is differnt in leangth the the left shock. So to answer your question yes they bolt right on and there are two differnt shocks...No issuses..

Does that make sense?
for stock replacement with no lift, ok but what about those of us with 2" or 3", etc.? I'm running about 4-4.5" in the rear and A-196 and A-197 HO 5150s (10.02" and 11.5"). W/o taller bump stops I can theoretically bottom them out at full stuff (if my NWOR Hds would allow it). After modifying the leafpk spring clamps I am able to max them out at full droop but just barely. I also have Downey 1.5" shackles

·
225 Posts
hytenor said:
for stock replacement with no lift, ok but what about those of us with 2" or 3", etc.? I'm running about 4-4.5" in the rear and A-196 and A-197 HO 5150s (10.02" and 11.5"). W/o taller bump stops I can theoretically bottom them out at full stuff (if my NWOR Hds would allow it). After modifying the leafpk spring clamps I am able to max them out at full droop but just barely. I also have Downey 1.5" shackles
Right but "full stuff" is the constant. If you build a shock that will take "full Stuff" Stock it is still "full stuff" with aftermarket springs and shackles give or take 1/2". "full stuff" being metal to metal. From there you just keep everything as tight as possible in the shock leangth and go for as much droop as you can. That is what we did.

Comprende?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Donahoe said:
Right but "full stuff" is the constant. If you build a shock that will take "full Stuff" Stock it is still "full stuff" with aftermarket springs and shackles give or take 1/2". "full stuff" being metal to metal. From there you just keep everything as tight as possible in the shock leangth and go for as much droop as you can. That is what we did.

Comprende?
Ok. when I measured for my shocks I goofed and wrote down the wrong figures..oops so wound up with too long a shock for the 3" of rear lift that I had with just the nwors so had to add the shackles to make them 'work' ;)

the idea is to remove the shocks and get mount to mount measurements, full-flex and full-stuff, first (and write them down correctly) before ordering shocks. But, isn't it better to have a shock that may be limiting droop but won't be too long at full stuff? I've seen some interesting damage caused by a too-long shock.

The main reason I'm asking about your sizes is the question comes up a couple times a week here..."what size do I need for X amount of rear lift from stock?" since the stock Taco mount-to-mount measurements are different by 1", right to left, guys will want to know what size shock for each side. If one shock will work for both sides, that's great.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Donahoe said:

Mono-tube $ 95.75 each
Resevoir $199.00 each

here are some pics
Well. I'm kind of turned on right now....

I'll take a pair of reservoir shocks as soon as they're ready.

·
225 Posts
Pete said:
Well. I'm kind of turned on right now....

I'll take a pair of reservoir shocks as soon as they're ready.

whoa....Good things those shocks dont have nipples ..... :xpimp:

·
225 Posts
hytenor said:
Ok. when I measured for my shocks I goofed and wrote down the wrong figures..oops so wound up with too long a shock for the 3" of rear lift that I had with just the nwors so had to add the shackles to make them 'work' ;)

the idea is to remove the shocks and get mount to mount measurements, full-flex and full-stuff, first (and write them down correctly) before ordering shocks. But, isn't it better to have a shock that may be limiting droop but won't be too long at full stuff? I've seen some interesting damage caused by a too-long shock.

The main reason I'm asking about your sizes is the question comes up a couple times a week here..."what size do I need for X amount of rear lift from stock?" since the stock Taco mount-to-mount measurements are different by 1", right to left, guys will want to know what size shock for each side. If one shock will work for both sides, that's great.
Your right that is bad when the shock bottoms out before the suspension hits the bump stops. Like I said before Our shocks are built from full bump first...and you get as much droop as we can fit in the parts we have to work with. Which just ends up being more then a Bilstien. Don't get me wrong here. I love Bilstien shock. That do an awsome job. We sell tons of them. If they had a plan to build a spacific rear tacoma shock I wouldnt bother... But they have been really back logged latly.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Donahoe said:
Your right that is bad when the shock bottoms out before the suspension hits the bump stops. Like I said before Our shocks are built from full bump first...and you get as much droop as we can fit in the parts we have to work with. Which just ends up being more then a Bilstien. Don't get me wrong here. I love Bilstien shock. That do an awsome job. We sell tons of them. If they had a plan to build a spacific rear tacoma shock I wouldnt bother... But they have been really back logged latly.
cool. when you get a spec list of the sizes you will be offering with compressed and extended lengths, please post them ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apparently Wheeler's is on vacation mode this week so I'm still not sure about the status of the 5100's. Sooo0.... maybe I'll end up with the new Hoe's in February?? I just want to install my new lift :mad:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Those look like they freakin' rock! I want a set of those for my7 taco! But Ouch $400 bucks just for the for shocks! Man I thought dive equipment was high dollar!

I want some!

J

1 - 20 of 60 Posts