TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2006 double cab, TRD Sport in August with a long bed. I already put 24,000 miles on it and I am starting to think about what shocks I am going to put on it. I don't drive it off road and I am looking into Bilstein HD or 5100 because I want to improve the handling. I had the HDs on my 98' and they rode extremely harsh, of course the springs were not progressive either like my current truck. I called Bilstein and asked them about the HD for my truck and they said that they are not as harsh as the old HD. Anyone try HDs on their truck yet? I thought the 5100 might perhaps provide a little bit of a better ride, but my truck is not lifted and the tech at Bilstein told me that the HD matched the stock spring rate better than the 5100s. Ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i thought they were the same thing, just one is longer for lifted applications:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
i thought they were the same thing, just one is longer for lifted applications:confused:
Yep, they are according to my conversation with their sales tech Shane many years ago. Supposedly same valving and internal make-up as he explained, but that was over 7 years ago. I guess they now advertise the 5100s for "lifted applications."

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I don't think that is true any more, because I also talked to Shane and he did not say anything about them being the same when I was asking about specific differences.
To settle the issue once and for all, I called Shane. The guy is so busy, he never answers, though! After I left him a message, I then realized Bilstein has another office in North Carolina, so I called them. Talked to a guy named Keith and specifically asked him what the difference is between the two.

Of course, this is all hearsay on my part, but if anyone wants to confirm, please call Keith at their North Carolina office. Anyway, Keith told me that they are of the same exact construction internally, and they even use the same exact 46 mm monotube design. The main difference between the two aside from the exterior coloring (blue and yellow HDs versus the new silver 5100s) is in the valving, though. Apparently, the HD is valved specifically for a particular truck with stock suspension. A 5100 may be of a longer length, but the valving is more general. In other words, the valving is not specific for a particular truck. According to Keith, the valving on a 5100 might be shared with other 5100 shocks that could be used on more than one type of vehicle. HOWEVER, Keith said that the valving between the two, although not exactly the same as the HD, is still very similar to the HD's valving.

So there you have it. Sounds like they are essentially the same exact shock, except the 5100 is longer, painted differently and has a more generalized valving that, although not exactly the same as the HD's valving, should still be similar to it according to what Keith said.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
324 Posts
ive used the hd's on my 93 truck with under 2" of lift, and the 5100's
on my truck with over 3" of lift. both worked great both felt very similar in ride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.