TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know some dimensions of a 5150 Bilstein:

I need to know the width of the bushing for the upper/lower mounts and the I.D. of the bushings so I can make up my mounts. Gonna make u shaped mounts for the top of the axle tube and I'm gonna weld a post in for the top one...just need to know the dimensions. Thanks.

--Scott

·
Registered
682 Posts
Gimme a sec, I'll go outside and check...

Alright.

Width: 1-3/8"
I.D. of metal sleeve: 1/2"

Yes they are 5150's

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gimme a sec, I'll go outside and check...

Alright.

Width: 1-3/8"
I.D. of metal sleeve: 1/2"

Yes they are 5150's

Thanks again, Phil.

--Scott

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I need to know some dimensions of a 5150 Bilstein:

I need to know the width of the bushing for the upper/lower mounts and the I.D. of the bushings so I can make up my mounts. Gonna make u shaped mounts for the top of the axle tube and I'm gonna weld a post in for the top one...just need to know the dimensions. Thanks.

--Scott
they come 'stock' with 5/8" hourglass bushings but you can get them with the 3/4" bushings that are needed for OE Taco mounts.

use standard 1.5" wide shock tabs for these bushings as well.

how are you doing your top mounts??

I'm thinking of duplicating the OE type mount but with a 1/2" shaft for the new 7100s since I can't use the OE 3/4" shafts anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they come 'stock' with 5/8" hourglass bushings but you can get them with the 3/4" bushings that are needed for OE Taco mounts.

use standard 1.5" wide shock tabs for these bushings as well.

how are you doing your top mounts??

I'm thinking of duplicating the OE type mount but with a 1/2" shaft for the new 7100s since I can't use the OE 3/4" shafts anymore.

Top mount I sleeved the x-member with 1/2" bolts through the sleeve, heads tacked on in case I should need to replace one. Are you saying the ID is 5/8"? I need to know what size bolt to use for the top. You're confusing me Chris.

--Scott

·
Registered
71 Posts
Top mount I sleeved the x-member with 1/2" bolts through the sleeve, heads tacked on in case I should need to replace one. Are you saying the ID is 5/8"? I need to know what size bolt to use for the top. You're confusing me Chris.

--Scott
ID of the bushing is 5/8" and you sleeve it down to the bolt size being used. i.e. 1/2" in your case.

I believe Chris is talking about the rear shocks which need a 3/4" bushing ID to go on the stock studs.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
ID of the bushing is 5/8" and you sleeve it down to the bolt size being used. i.e. 1/2" in your case.

I believe Chris is talking about the rear shocks which need a 3/4" bushing ID to go on the stock studs.
Yeah, Mine came stock with the 5/8". I had them installed with 3/4 bushings for the stock locations...

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

--Scott
7100s have 1/2" ID heims and off-sets; the 5150s use hourglass busings that you can get in different sizes. If you need to use a 1/2" bolt go with the 3/4" bushings and a sleave down to 1/2"...or, go with 5/8" bolts and the 5/8" ID bushings...flip a coin :p

·
Banned
966 Posts
on my 2006 with 5150's i only had to shave the sides of the lower eyelet bushings just a tad, and for the tops i got the adapters from AllPro so it all fit back in like the OEM shock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you need to use a 1/2" bolt go with the 3/4" bushings and a sleave down to 1/2"...or, go with 5/8" bolts and the 5/8" ID bushings...flip a coin :p
I disagree with Chris on the RE: sleeving down the 3/4" instead of 5/8" bushing - I have found that with the 3/4" eye bushing you can actually have some bind on the shock eye due to the very thin urethane found on the 3/4" ID bushing. :2cents:

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I disagree with Chris on the RE: sleeving down the 3/4" instead of 5/8" bushing - I have found that with the 3/4" eye bushing you can actually have some bind on the shock eye due to the very thin urethane found on the 3/4" ID bushing. :2cents:
interesting. then everyone with aftermarket Bils in the OE mount locations (rear) has this problem since the 3/4" bushings are required.

·
Registered
71 Posts
interesting. then everyone with aftermarket Bils in the OE mount locations (rear) has this problem since the 3/4" bushings are required.
Actually yes - if you look an OE shocks they have an EB2 bushing factory with has a much larger OD (eye ring). If you run Bils in the rear on a Toyota in OE location you don't have a choice (myself included) but if your fabing mounts anyways I just wouldn't recommend using the thin urethane bushing. Use the thicker ones for less bind.

Anecdotal Evidence: Back in the day (mid '80) we used to put the 3/4" ID bushings in Rancho 5000 shocks (before) they double welded they eye and we would get trucks back in the shock with the eyes broken off

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually yes - if you look an OE shocks they have an EB2 bushing factory with has a much larger OD (eye ring). If you run Bils in the rear on a Toyota in OE location you don't have a choice (myself included) but if your fabing mounts anyways I just wouldn't recommend using the thin urethane bushing. Use the thicker ones for less bind.

Anecdotal Evidence: Back in the day (mid '80) we used to put the 3/4" ID bushings in Rancho 5000 shocks (before) they double welded they eye and we would get trucks back in the shock with the eyes broken off
Which ones come with the 5150's? Will I have to specify that I want the 5/8" ID bushings?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Which ones come with the 5150's? Will I have to specify that I want the 5/8" ID bushings?
they come 'stock' with 5/8" bushings unless you specify the 3/4" for Toyota.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts